Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all
im in need a of a little help here .if you guys could help or sugest. needing to find a good pack for my duaghter shes 9, so shes not very big .. im thinking about something that will fit well now and adjust as she grows . a pack thats a good bang for the buck . that can carry all the gear a 9yr old would need..
would a childs external frame pack be best? or a say no frame? how big should the pack be .and what supplies should be in there besides the obvious?. links are very welcome here so please link certain packs you use.youre child uses or would give to youre child ..
thanks for the help in advance..

·
missed
11,239 Posts
Find yourself an army surplus store and take her with you, let her try packs on and see what is comfortable for her, plus it will give you both time to spend together!

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
And dont forget that as she ages she will erm develop in the chest area so the pack will have to fit different. Being on the busty side I had to try on a hell of a lot of packs before I found one I felt comfortable in for long distances. And my army friend showed me how to add extra padding along the webbing and it is so much more comfortable for long hauls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thought I might add a bit...

I've got a young daughter as well that I am trying to prepare as well. External frame packs are great for youngsters through early adults. I used my old Camp Trails pack from age 11 through college and I 'm giving it to my daughter to use now. If you've got kids, I'd start taking them on increasingly more difficult hikes to condition them. Make sure its a fun family activity for them so that they aren't as freaked out when the time comes..

I'd make sure to keep the weight way down from what you would normally pack. Kids are going to slow you down more than to be expected if they are uncomfortable or turned into your pack mule. I'm allowing my daughter to bring along a few "comfort" items like a small stuffed animal, some crayons, and a few favorite books. The rest of her pack is primarily clothes, fruit snacks, sleeping bag and a pad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.