Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed in their area, that you can't buy regular strike on box matches or strike anywhere matches any more? Is it just my area? WTF? Only those worthless "green" things that take five or 6 matches to light something are what stores carry around here. How about where you are?

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Has anyone else noticed in their area, that you can't buy regular strike on box matches or strike anywhere matches any more? Is it just my area? WTF? Only those worthless "green" things that take five or 6 matches to light something are what stores carry around here. How about where you are?
Krogers, Wal-Mart, Dollar General etc.

I haven't bought any in a month or so, but I can still find them easy enough. Look at the dollar stores, they seem to have odds & ends like that often times.

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
I think the Feds added a hazmat shipping charge to the good strike anywhere matches, and I read that there were some liability issues related to them starting fires (duh?).

edit: Found more info from an article
Many stores have policies against carrying the matches, and they are classified as "Dangerous Goods" on both passenger aircraft and cargo-only aircraft flight ("U.N. 1331, Matches, strike-anywhere"). The chemicals used in the matches are known to be utilized in both methamphetamine production, and bomb making.

With the known applications of, and the policies against these fire-starters, many question their legality. “Questions about Strike-Anywhere Matches have actually spurred debates online, and a wave of confusion in blogs, answer sites, and retail stores including my own” says Mike Fisher, General Manager of Disaster Relief Supply. According to the manufacturer of Diamond Strike Anywhere Matches, the confusion is unwarranted. A quote taken from UnluckyHunter.com, a hunting-based blog, clarifies the issue with an email response from a “Jared Home Brands” representative.

"We are unaware of any state laws prohibiting the use of strike anywhere style matches at this time."

Sincerely,
Jarden Home Brands
http://www.diamondbrands.com/

·
A Round American Woman
539 Posts
I haven't had any issues. I recently bought some big boxes of diamond brand, "greenlight" strike anywhere matches and I love them. They light with very little force and they don't burn lightning fast, so that your fingers are burned before your candles are lit. I can easily light up to 8 wicks before the flame gets too close to my fingers.

I use matches everyday when I test my candles. I always have candles burning through the day.

I have used "store brand" matches that were horrid. Most of them broke in half when you would strike them, sending the lit end to the floor, while burning. Or they would need multiple strikes to get them going, and that wears out the strike area.

I now only buy the diamond brand and steer clear of the others.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Small town stores last time I found some I bought all they had they probably thought i was ssmurfing for someone
I don't seem to have the trouble with the green ones though I do miss the old Ohio Bluetips.

I can't get anything lit with "lifeboat matches"

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
Strike anywhere matches are available on ebay and amazon...about the only place to get them now.

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
45,715 Posts
Dollar tree always has 'em.

Reactions: sde

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Every store around here that I have been in lately that carries things like presto logs and lamp oil and tings like that all have boxes of strike anywhere, strike on side of box, and book matches all over the place....

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
What do y'all mean 'green' matches? Are they supposed to be environmentally friendly or something? Never heard of them.

No match shortage that I've seen. Only poor quality ones, even Diamond. The red stuff on the tip of the match is getting smaller and smaller. The best buy I've found on decent quality matches was at a scratch and dent grocery store. A case of 144 of the paper match books, Parade brand, and they are every bit as good as the small Diamond wood matches. But then again, I also have enough matches to last probably the rest of my life. I even have dozens of boxes of those long fireplace matches I use for my wood stove and lighting the gas grill and barbecue pit. Really like the long ones.

I have three match safes too, one by the wood stove, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
You can still find them:
Kitchen size:
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Strike-Anywhere-Greenlight-Matches/dp/B005Y2J05A/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

Pocket size:
http://beprepared.com/strike-anywhere-matches-1-box.html
http://www.everestgear.com/eqdia101.html

I would stock up now, because I don't think they'll be around for much longer.

Just my opinion.
Those green tips you linked will not light anywhere...they even have a hard time lighting on the box.

The old red or blue tips are the way to go

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Strike-Anywhere-Kitchen-Matches/dp/B000WR82QK

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
What do y'all mean 'green' matches? Are they supposed to be environmentally friendly or something? Never heard of them.

No match shortage that I've seen. Only poor quality ones, even Diamond. The red stuff on the tip of the match is getting smaller and smaller. The best buy I've found on decent quality matches was at a scratch and dent grocery store. A case of 144 of the paper match books, Parade brand, and they are every bit as good as the small Diamond wood matches. But then again, I also have enough matches to last probably the rest of my life. I even have dozens of boxes of those long fireplace matches I use for my wood stove and lighting the gas grill and barbecue pit. Really like the long ones.

I have three match safes too, one by the wood stove, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom.
Yes , green tips and supposedly enviromentally friendlier.

·
Super Moderator
12,070 Posts
Those green tips you linked will not light anywhere...they even have a hard time lighting on the box.

The old red or blue tips are the way to go

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Strike-Anywhere-Kitchen-Matches/dp/B000WR82QK
I agree. And I found those, and my life is probably worth a $0.20 match vs. a $0.02 match, but the budget doesn't allow for a $46.00 + shipping for a single box of 250 matches.

Though, I have to say, I already have a good supply of those matches purchased when they were still being produced and easily available. If I didn't, I probably would seriously be considering them.

Just my opinion.

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
I agree. And I found those, and my life is probably worth a $0.20 match vs. a $0.02 match, but the budget doesn't allow for a $46.00 + shipping for a single box of 250 matches.

Though, I have to say, I already have a good supply of those matches purchased when they were still being produced and easily available. If I didn't, I probably would seriously be considering them.

Just my opinion.
Oh I agree...they are certainly expensive now. I can still get them at the old Amish store down the road...I would have bought them all, but I didn't want to be greedy.

Seems our government doesn't like the meth cookers getting those phosphorus tips. Typical over legislation

1 - 20 of 32 Posts