Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
User Title
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve been looking high and low for BOB’s for the wife and me and it’s tough. Just about every pack I think I want is a FORTUNE! Obviously I want nice packs, but I don’t think I need to spend $500/ pack to get some. I also don’t want some junk packs that will not live being overstuffed. I cam across this pack, which seems a bit on the inexpensive side. But it looks like a pretty good pack to me.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vulture-II-Backpack-12p114.htm

Anyone have one of these?

How about pack suggestions in the up to $250 range (I can’t seem to find much between $150-$400)?

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
184 Posts
How much cargo size do you need? I like mystery ranch but their big rucks are more like 600. I spend more on a pack them anything if it breaks I'm screwed.

·
User Title
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much cargo size do you need?
That's the question isn't it. If it comes to me walking away I will want to pack as much as I can. A pack will never be big enough. I think the pack in the link would do. But I have no idea what I'm packing for either. A day? Two days? A week? Forever? I don't have a good answer. I do know that this is about as small as I would want to go.

I like mystery ranch but their big rucks are more like 600. I spend more on a pack them anything if it breaks I'm screwed.
I was checking their stuff out. Very nice. I don't mind spending the money if it needs to be spent. I know nothing about durability when it comes to packs. It seems like you would suggest something like MR pack to get "bulletproof" reliability. If you tell me that you think that spending the big bucks on a pack is worth it I will reconsider.:thumb:

Thanks

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
Try one of these: Eberlestock Phantom Sniper Rifle pack/Back pack (ACU)

I got mine a hell of cheaper ($45) at a flea market, but they are fabulous

Here is the website, they have other styles: www.eberlestock.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never had a gregory but I have heard really good things in terms of comfort. I was introduced to mystery ranch by my survival instructor, thats also where I found out about esee knives. I trust his opinion and I tried it on with weight and walked around a bit. I found it very comfortable, its more of a tactical style I guess you could say but the coyote brown is less "akward" on hiking trips. Also If you have a rifle, they have built in carrying slips for them. I would trust one with my life. I bought one and am saving for a second for my GF. If you dont mind weight thay offer a 7500 cubic inches pack! Thats by far the biggest I have ever seen especially in the civilian market.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I like my maxpedition vulture II

The one issue that I have with the maxpedition vulture II, it needs more outside pockets.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If you want something cheap, its really hard to beat the good ole medium or large alice pack

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Well I’ve been looking high and low for BOB’s for the wife and me and it’s tough. Just about every pack I think I want is a FORTUNE! Obviously I want nice packs, but I don’t think I need to spend $500/ pack to get some. I also don’t want some junk packs that will not live being overstuffed. I cam across this pack, which seems a bit on the inexpensive side. But it looks like a pretty good pack to me.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vulture-II-Backpack-12p114.htm

Anyone have one of these?

How about pack suggestions in the up to $250 range (I can’t seem to find much between $150-$400)?

Thanks for your input

they are good quality bags BUT they are small. they are about the size of a large school backpack.

what is it going to be used for? bugging-out to a hotel 300 miles away? to a freind or families house? wilderness survival? or are you looking for an I.N.C.H. pack (I'm never coming home ) and how many days do you want to be prepared for?do you want a civilian type or a military type? is the $250 price range for 1 pack or for both packs?

i dont know about civilian backpacks but if you want a military style," victor23", on this forums has some really good deals on military packs and is the best bang for the buck, you will be hard pressed to equal his prices online :thumb:

side note: beware of cheap look alikes from china ebay is full of them. you can get a pack that LOOKS just like the one you picked out for about $50 but they dont hold up straps brake,zippers pop,stiching unravels...ect. but they will not say who made them. this is one piece of equipement you dont want to go cheap on it would be bad if your straps where to break in the middle of you bugging out :eek:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,315 Posts
Here's a video I found interesting. Of course was after I bought the Rush 72 but you may get more out of it...

... and IMO, I really like the Rush 72. For SHTF, some feel its too military and/or an attention getter but whats my AR-15 going to be lol.

·
Registered
984 Posts
ALICE.. roughly $50 with frame and is a tried and true workhorse for the US Military for several decades.

If not.

Then the MOLLE. roughly $90 - $150. More space than you'll want to carry in weight. Great pack. Great update from the ALICE. Also, has a detachable patrol pack, so you can make a really fast GOOD bag if you need to drop the large MOLLE ruck because you need speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out the T.H.E (tactical holds everything) pack from specopsbrand.com
I have one and like it. Got mine on amazon for 145.00, have seen them for even less. made in USA.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
A lot of folks on here use the Vulture II or some other very comparable 3 Day type of pack. Mystery Ranch is at the top in terms of quality.

If you dislike zippers, look at an Alice pack or the Eagle Industries Becker Patrol Pack series.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
I have a really nice pack and they are expensive if you get one really designed for long haul of significant goods.

Then I discovered the packs at Emergency Essentials and could have kicked myself.

Go to beprepared.com and check their selection. Very reasonably priced, wide range of cc's in space and configurations. Maybe someone on here can speak to their quality but the reviews on most are pretty good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts