1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
looks rusted to hell.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Kerosene smells significantly when burning. Back home when you went into a home in the winter you knew immediately if they had kerosene for heat.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I often get big eyes when I see the price of something on sale.

But you have to really ask yourself if it's worth it.

The Rubber hoses are probably shot, as well as any regulator. All of the seals will have to be redone. Then you get into high dollar problems.

Specific parts, that you will have to order from the company. Parts that cost hundreds of dollars if they are even still made.

My advice is to never buy someone elses headache.

That goes for boats, cars, heaters, lawn equipment, or anything else liable to be improperly maintained.

This stove is a 1960's collectable. At over 50 years of age, I guarantee it's more than surface rust.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
The enamel in the oven looked good though...........

But having refurbished things in the past, without physically seeing the oven, it's a tough call. By his photos...I'd prolly pass on it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is a 1920's model and was not pristine when I got it either, but it is a very nice kerosene stove, and there are no rubber hoses and all seals are lead. They really do burn clean with a flame that is almost identical to a modern gas stove, (blue tip). Anyway, I would have jumped on it had I not been 800 miles away:thumb:

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Mine is a 1920's model and was not pristine when I got it either, but it is a very nice kerosene stove, and there are no rubber hoses and all seals are lead. They really do burn clean with a flame that is almost identical to a modern gas stove, (blue tip). Anyway, I would have jumped on it had I not been 800 miles away:thumb:
Cookie...not to derail, but as a lantern buff...what is the lantern in the pic? Is that a Dietz D Lite? It's not clear enough for me to tell....

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
This stove is a 1960's collectable. At over 50 years of age, I guarantee it's more than surface rust.
You may be right in this particular case, but

this one dates from the early 1930s and we use it as our main stove.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Very nice! What brand is it? I have a Coleman gas range from the same era that looks very similar. It needs quite a bit of elbow grease.
Ooooh, I love your Coleman!

Mine is a Detroit Vapor. It can be propane or natural gas (it's propane now).

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
last year at home depot out here in AZ a 5 gallon bucket of kerosene was around 45 bucks , that was the highest i have ever seen it in my 50+ years of life ! and use to buy it at local gas stations but home depot was the only place i have seen it for a long time !
propane was at 4 bucks a gallon delivered a few years ago , no its 3 bucks a gallon !
package of raw hotdogs works for my meals now days !

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
It's better to stick with Perfection or Ivanhoe. Parts for other old stoves are hard to come by. You can regularly find Perfection stoves with all the components in tact for 100-250. It's just not worth the grief to try to make something work when you are going to have to depend on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts