Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my store I use all the time, one day the supplies are full and plentiful 3 days later it looks like this. Makes me mad at myself that I didn't buy some extra and keeping it stored back.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
this has been going on for over a year. im pissed that i bought a box of 12 ball lids and rings. was shorted 2 lids. was in touch with ball 10 days ago. got an auto response with a you ll hear from us soon...still not back in touch with me. i dont want to return the box, just have them make good on what they owe me

·
Registered
350 Posts
Every fall they are short it's canning season. Every winter they are easy to get.
Local Fred Meyer last week had everything you need, jars (all sizes), lids and rings. Didn't get any because I plan ahead.
Moving away from canning anyway, with some exceptions, and getting into dehydrating. Fruits and vegetables. Veggies are used for soups, spaghetti ect. Once dehydrated, they get put into canning jars while still warm, actually creates a vacuum in the jar. Lids can be reused many times.
Going to end up getting a freeze dryer when the supply chain improves.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Every fall they are short it's canning season. Every winter they are easy to get.
Local Fred Meyer last week had everything you need, jars (all sizes), lids and rings. Didn't get any because I plan ahead.
Moving away from canning anyway, with some exceptions, and getting into dehydrating. Fruits and vegetables. Veggies are used for soups, spaghetti ect. Once dehydrated, they get put into canning jars while still warm, actually creates a vacuum in the jar. Lids can be reused many times.
I do the same but I add an o2 absorber to keep them better longer and pull a vacuum.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Wide mouth quarts don't exist here and haven't for a while. Lids are gone too although they did show up for a bit this summer. The rest of the stuff is around if you look for it, but about the only thing that you can find in most stores is 2qt jars.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes. A few weeks ago, at several places, jars were well stocked. No spare lids for quite a while, but lots of jars. Now all gone. Know enough people, you can get them for free.
People I know who can already have lots of jars and only need to buy lids. I think it has to be more than just that time of year.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here in SE PA, lids have been hit-or-miss for several years, jars tend to disappear starting in June, at the beginning of the harvest season. Winter is the time to stock up on both lids and jars. Remember, when you are ready to put back the season's bounty, do is everyone else. PREpare.

·
Registered
I don't know
132 Posts
I was helping mom, grandmum, and aunties to can in the 1970s and this was going on then. There are never enough lids if I look to buy them this time of year. I have a list I keep with me of things I look for every time I go into town and jar lids are one of those. But try looking in unconventional places. Such as Walmart here hasn't had them for over a year, but Fleet Farm still has the one with the rings. Our lumber store till has some, but you can only buy 2 boxes at a time. My brother buys two boxes every time he passes the store, which is 4 or 6 times a day.

·
Off the leash
2,673 Posts
There is a little Amish store we visit 2-3 times a year that almost always has the one piece kind of lids. $3 a dozen. We buy 2-3 dozen every time we go. And buy a dozen or two of the regular kind whenever we find them somewhere. Our local Ace hardware has been better stocked then most places around here. And not gouging the prices too bad either like some other places.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've thought all along that Jarden is most likely just barely keeping up with enough lids to cover the new jar production, thus the no lids be available. I read somewhere that someone had called corporate and they stated all lid production would be caught up by May of this year. That sure didn't happen as we all know.

I've been watching the influx of china brand lids coming in, being listed on Amazon and now Walmart.
I've noticed a new player on the market. Pur jars, made in China, available at our farm store. Their lids look identical to one of the older Ball lids. The silver lids with the dashes at the bottom for writing the date on the lid. I would try them, but don't need them, and don't want a fail.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've thought all along that Jarden is most likely just barely keeping up with enough lids to cover the new jar production, thus the no lids be available. I read somewhere that someone had called corporate and they stated all lid production would be caught up by May of this year. That sure didn't happen as we all know.

I've been watching the influx of china brand lids coming in, being listed on Amazon and now Walmart.
I've noticed a new player on the market. Pur jars, made in China, available at our farm store. Their lids look identical to one of the older Ball lids. The silver lids with the dashes at the bottom for writing the date on the lid. I would try them, but don't need them, and don't want a fail.
I don’t know what kind or mix of metal/chemical/sludge is in/on those lids. Super cheap from China seems to me a super problem.

·
Made In Detroit
1,734 Posts
It is difficult to dehydrate 'salsa' and tomato sauce, so I keep dozens of jars on hand and lots of extra lids which have no expiration dates...

Table Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,058 Posts
Feel the pain. look for yard/garage/estate sales. Sometimes get lucky and get lots of jars, rings and lids for cheap.

this problem has been going on since COVID Scamdemic started. Since then, I have learned to cure meats, dehydrate and store food. I still can, but also learn to preserve foods that don’t need to be canned. Root cellars are coming back.

I know some stores limit how much canning jars (by the case) to 2 per person, IF they have the items in stock. And I don’t see this slowing down soon. Like all valuable preps, you need to buy things in advance, during better times in order to rough the hard times.

and to make matters worse, my states Game, Fish and Wildlife Management agency has abruptly sent an email to all license holders that they need to report all game harvested, with or without a licence (landowners are exempt from hunting license on their own property). They really want to know EVERYTHING about you and what you eat….

1 - 20 of 44 Posts