Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Argues With Cats
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cleaning out my cabinet of canning supplies today. The rings were out of control, spilling all over out of the canister I had them in. Harbor Freight sells some really big carabiner clips (8 inches) that they intend for carrying plastic grocery sacks. Canning rings thread on them and they clip shut. Easy way to store rings! You could hang the whole loop of them pretty easily. I just have them tossed back into the cabinet for now. One mess under control!! :thumb:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
you can make an oversized "key ring" using a wire coat hanger .... I seal mine in a 5 gallon bucket/lid along with moisture absorber (desiccant) to keep the rings from rusting ....

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I just use a metal coat hanger too. Clip one side of the wire where it twists around the hanger hook, bend the end of the wire with needle nose pliers to make a little hook, load on the rings, hook the wire back on to the hanger hook, and hang them up.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I store most of mine in 5 gallon buckets in the attic. Then there's about about 100-200 of them in a box in the storage room, and then I keep a dozen in my "canning kit" that I keep in my kitchen (enough tattler lids, rings, and bands to do about 2 canner loads).

·
Just getting by
245 Posts
I keep trying to come up with some clever crafty use for the rusty ones that isn't too kitchy. I still haven't figure out what yet, but there must be something. Any upcycling suggestions?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just use a metal coat hanger too. Clip one side of the wire where it twists around the hanger hook, bend the end of the wire with needle nose pliers to make a little hook, load on the rings, hook the wire back on to the hanger hook, and hang them up.
this is exactly what I do as well.

·
Argues With Cats
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Canning Ring Control

Yes, those clips like that, only big. The picture that SuvivorGirlAL posted is the exact things... I had a couple of them underfoot (someone gave them to me.)
Clothes hangers make more sense if you plan to hang them... I have no place to hang them, and just tossed the clips back into my cupboard.
Looks like they hold around 35 rings each, give or take.
I was thinking of making one of these scarf holders out of my dead rings... http://solutions.blair.com/p/scarf-holder/51831.uts (Sorry, picture wouldn't come off the page) Would need to paint them to keep rust off scarves...
Rings that are too bad to can with but not dysfunctional, I use on vacuum sealed jars just as back up to the lid seal.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
MaKettle, I want to thank you so much for sharing what you do with your canning rings.

I was very interested when I saw this post hoping I would learn what to do with mine because they're just in a plastic grocery bag plopped on the shelf. Looks ugly and takes up space. I liked the idea with the clip thingies, but I don't have any big enough.
Then I read what you do, and knew I had rope (twine actually) and I had the rings! So I immediately went and did it and I love it! Even think it looks kind of cool hanging on the wall in the closet were I store canning stuff.
Anyway, thanks for sharing what you do, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I keep trying to come up with some clever crafty use for the rusty ones that isn't too kitchy. I still haven't figure out what yet, but there must be something. Any upcycling suggestions?
I also keep mine in a plastic pail. Sounds like some of you folks have a lot of them. My small rings fit in a 2 gallon pail, my big mouth rings in a 1 gallon pail.

As for the rusty ones, you can use de-rust them using a 12 volt battery. I think the process is called hydrolysis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts