Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just making a PB&J sandwich and started thinking about the jar of Jelly. It comes with a vacuum sealed lid that pops up when you open it.

Why can't lids like this or regular two piece canning lids be reused? Is it a matter of not being 100% sure that they will seal or will they not reseal at all?
Or is it just a marketing ploy to get us to buy thousands of lids?

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I have seen people reuse these jars and lids but from what I recall they have always had long term seal issues.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PAGUY

How long term? Are we talking a few months or a year?

Any one else have first hand knowledge of this?

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
My grandmother in Spain always makes "tomate frito", tomatoe sauce, when the tomatoes are harvested in august and cans it in regular, store bought cans she saves during the year(or from previous canning). She then boils the filled cans with the lids thightly screwed on for half an hour or fortyfive minutes, "baño maria".
Tomatoe sauce with a couple of fried eggs was my supper 45 days a year for about 8 years and I´m fine. The tomatoe sauce was from the previous year.

Disclaimer: This is my personal experience. Don´t come complaining over spoiled goods or botulism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always reuse these lids and have done so for many years now. So long as the middle is popped DOWN they are fine. I've kept jars done that way for 2 or 3 years and no problems at all.:)

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
One thing I noticed about the rubber seal on a lid that has been pressure canned. It remains deeply grooved, much more so than with water bath canning.
IMHO it is not worth risking a bad seal to save 10 cents.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Amish reuse the tops over and over and over and over.....you get the picture right? The seal can be rejuvinated by boiling in water to replump the sealing material. My parents have reused the lids from jars that were canned in 88 to seal jars canned in 06-they are still tightly canned and good as new. It really is personal choice on whether you want to reuse them or not, stock up now on new lids and if you need to reuse them post SHTF at least you will have a option to can foods that you will need.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It really is personal choice on whether you want to reuse them or not, stock up now on new lids and if you need to reuse them post SHTF at least you will have a option to can foods that you will need.
This is what I was trying to figure out. We are stocking up on extra lids, but wondered if we could reuse them in a worst case scenario.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts