Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to canning and not too computer savy, i tried to search for it but couldnt find it, my question is if i buy the large cans(6 1/2lb) of say diced tomatos, could i can them into quart size jars? didnt know if they would be good thru a second canning. the reason i ask is i can get the large cans extremely cheap, but once i open them the rest has to be used rather quickly, would like to put some back for a rainy day

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Not too sure. I would think recanning them would make them mushy. Ive just been stockpiling diced tomatoes and when I open them, I'll be making sauce. I only can fresh tomatoes, to me it doesnt make sense to open a can to recan the contents. There are a lot of experts here though, someone will know!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes. You can re-can tomatoes. In fact, some of the canning mixes (i.e. Mrs. Wages, Ball) have instructions for using canned tomatoes to make salsa or sauce for re-canning. If you "like" Ball on facebook, you might get a coupon. I got one last week for $1.00 off.

Because I don't know how acidic the store canned tomatoes are, you may want to pressure can them, though. Or add vinegar or lemon juice and water bath them.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I recanned tomatoes for salsa a few weeks ago. My salsa mix bag got attacked by a curious kitten (don't ask me how she got a hold of it) and so I had to use it up (I guess I could have put in in a jar or another bag).

Now if you're going to just re-can it exactly as is without making anything out of it, you might want to consider if it's cheaper just to leave it as is.

Quart jars are going to run you about 80¢ each, plus the cost of energy and the time involved. If you can get one of your cans into 2 jars, that's $1.60+, and 3 jars would be $2.40+.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't know.... the big #10 cans of tomatoes at Sam's Club are REALLY good. You can also freeze what you don't use. I'm not sure if I would re-can them as-is without making something out of them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We re-can tomatoes and like that if they are marked down, can't use a gallon at one time... We got gallon cans of apples and apple sauce a while back for $1.10 each, will re-can them in pints sometime.

Also, we mix 50%-50% Ragu pizza sauce with diced tomatoes and we think it tastes better than Ragu alone. FYI we have always water bathed tomato and fruit products when re-canning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i appreciate all the input, there is alot more to consider than i realized, all good info though, thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
JMO I would go to a farmers market and by seconds and can those before I bought canned tomatoes at a store. The salt level and lord knows what other preservatives in that stuff is foul. I gaurantee on a per pound basis you can buy seconds (canning tomatoes) cheaper. Again just an opinion.

Support a local farmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts