Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I picked almost 4 buckets of purple hull peas from my 9 rows with the intentions of canning them. I was late getting to them so there were many that had dried on the vine and just as many they were still at the just ripe stage, and the rest somewhere in between.

In the week it took me to shell this pea load I mixed them all together in one bowl, one VERY large bowl. Upon researching processing times I discovered that fresh peas needed only 30 minutes of processing at 11lbs but another page on canning dried peas/beans said they needed 75 minutes.

Since I didn't want to under process the dried ones or over process the ripe ones I just blanched and froze the whole batch. I sure wanted to add those peas to my SHTF food supply but I'm not taking any chances with something
I'm not 100% sure about. I am pretty sure I won't try to shell 4 buckets of purple hull peas solo again in the near future. Probably got 40 hours in doing it.

Rick

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you dehydrate some of them and see how they do? That way you can still add them to your SHTF supply?
Did you mean RE-hydrate? If so I thought about that but I just don't want to take any chances. The process for canning dried peas called for them to be soaked for 12 hours then pressure canned for 75 minutes.

The big difference in processing times between fresh and dried was just too much of a variable for me to feel safe doing any less than the 75 minutes and that would turn the fresh ones into pea gravy.

Believe me Okie, I don't need any more shelling experience. Having a couple of nosey, playful kittens helping me didn't make it any easier either. Next time I will just buy already shelled peas from a local farm for canning.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts