Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
never tell me the odds
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to a new house and there is a huge pear tree out back. The tree is completely filled with pears ready for picking. A very conservative estimate of the yield from the tree is least a half dozen 5 gallon pails. We have been eating pears non stop for a few weeks and haven't made a dent.

I'm into homebrew and wouldn't mind trying my hand at some hard pear cider. I tried some while on vacation in Ireland and it was awesome. I think extracting the juice without a press might be a challenge though. Maybe this winter I'll get creative and make one so next year I can make some hard cider.

My wife took a canning class last year and wants to try canning them. Anyone here have any tried and tested canning recipes for pears?

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
Peel, half, and core the pears. put the ones that are not 100% to the side for cider. prepare the pint jars and lids, make a medium syrup of 3.5 cubs sugar to 5 cups water. Place the pears into the prepped jars, fill the jars to 1/2 inch HS with the syrup, put on the lids, hand tighten, put in the wather bath canner at a full boil for 20 minute. turn off the heat after the 20 and let sit for 5. remove from the canner, and let sit until the lid ting, and the bands are cool enough to remove.

As for cider...you can always use a juicer to get the juice for cider if you dont want to chop n press a ton o pears.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Cammomg [ears os easy. Peal slice and place in jars. Fill jars with slightly sweetened water and place in a water bath for 20 minutesw.

You can also make pear butter like you would apple butter.

You can juce the pears and can the juice to use in the winter to make your pear ale.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
LOW SUGAR PEAR JAM
4 cups peeled, cored and finely chopped pears. (9 medium pears)
2 Tbsp. bottled lemon juice
1 pkg. No Sugar Needed Pectin
1 cup unsweetened grape juice
¼ tsp. butter or margarine
3 cups sugar (21 ounces)
Place chopped pears, grape juice and lemon juice in a non-reactive pot. Gradually stir in pectin. Add butter or margarine to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to a boil; then add 3 cups sugar (21 ounces) and bring back to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down. Stir constantly for
3 minutes at full rolling boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam, if necessary. Fill hot jars, leaving ¼" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean. Place lids and rings on jars, tightening rings finger tight. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.
Yield: 4 to 6 half pints. Source: Ball website

NO SUGAR ADDED PEAR SAUCE
2 ½ to 3 ½ lbs. pears per qt. water.
Cored, peeled and quartered.
Wash pears; drain. Cook pears until soft in a large covered saucepot with just enough water to prevent sticking. Puree, using a food processor or food mill. Return pears to sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to prevent sticking. Maintain temperature at a boil while filling jars. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving ½" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean. Place lids and rings on jars, tightening rings finger tight. Process pints and quarts for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath canner. Adjust processing time for altitude, if required. Source: Ball Blue Book

Here are two easy ones.

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you dont have a press or want to mess with it you can get a juicer for under 100 bucks cut out the core and peel them.. save the trim for composting and juice the pears the pulp that is leftover can be dehydrated or you can can it and have pearsauce

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have canned pears many times similar to the above methods, but I usually cut them into quarters or eighths. My mum used to add some mint liqueur for special occasions. Chocolate and caramel flavours also go well with pears. Try pickled pears (Google it) to serve with pork etc. I have dried pears in my dehydrator very successfully.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
To extract the juice without a press put the pears in a food processor, warm gently on the stove (do not boil or it won't ferment for you) to release the juices and then dump in all in a pillow case hanging over a clean bucket to strain the juice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts