Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I canned chicken broth the other day and encountered 2 problems. I have been canning for 30 to 40 years and have never had a major problem. After processing, I like to hear the ping of the jars sealing. Bbbbuuuuutttt! I had 7 quart jars just out of the canner and there were more pings than jars. Something like 10 or 15 pings. I could also see violent bubbling in some of the jars after some of the pings. Something was wrong! I quickly tightened the lids and the pings settled back to normal. What went wrong? My first thought was old rings or seals.

After much thought I decided to reprocess the batch with new rings and lids because I deduced from the multiple pings and bubbling, that outside air had entered the jars and contaminated them. After removing all the lids I discovered my problem was twofold.

Problem number 1----I discovered a tiny chip on the seal rim of a jar that I had missed on initial inspection. This had allowed air to enter the jar and contaminate it. When I had tightened the rings after processing, it forced the seal into the chip and vacuum sealed as intended but too late after outside air had contaminated the jar.

Problem number 2---I discovered a new ring was defective. It had a dimple in one of the threads produced by a miss aligned punch or holder used in the process of forming the ring. (I’m a retired tool and die maker.) This defect kept the ring from holding the seal down flat on the jar rim. This too was solved by tightening the rings after processing. But again, too late.

Quality control is the responsibility of the end user, the consumer. We need to be vigilant of every phase of the canning process. Our safety and well-being is literally in our hands. I know I rant and rave about CYA in canning articles but common sense needs to be used also. I hope this helps beginning canners as WE ALL learn as we go.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
You might want to cross post this over in the "Canning- how to" thread. Good lesson for rookies that even us vets make mistakes if we skip steps.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Great post. Sometimes little things can really make everything go bad. I had a new box with several damaged rings a few years ago. It was a brand new box, when we opened it the damaged rings looked like they had been melted in a small spot. I contacted the company and they promptly replaced them and sent a pre-paid mailer so I could send them back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts