Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I couldn't resist after posting in the SPAM thread.

We all know there are many types of canned meats and many different brands. I would like to share my knowlege of what I have tried and what I can tell you about the different canned meats.

Hormel SPAM: We all know this one. Strait out of the can it is good. Even better cooked or added to other foods. Little on the fatty and salty side but hey what do you expect a long term canned product to contain? Many flavors to choose from.

Armour TREAT: Very close to spam. A little cheaper and little light on the pork flavor. While a good addition to your stock note that you won't find the smokey baked ham flavor spam offers.

Clover Luncheon Meat: Cheapest SPAM knockoff I can find. Alot of jelly compared to SPAM and heavy on the salt. Good price but I can only reccomend this meat be used to add to other food. If you have to eat it strait from the can I'd suggest you drink a bottle of water with it cause this stuff is salty.

DAK Ham: More expensive than SPAM but with far less salt and jelly with more of a "real" ham taste and texture. I believe the shelf life is considerably less than SPAM. But with SPAM boasting a 100 year plus life span DAK Hams probably won't let you down.

Armour Potted Meat: Kind of like develed ham only with no ham taste. Looks kind of like a light colored pate. Slightly salty when eaten strait but accomodates a cracker perfectly. Soft enough to be a spread and cheap enough to stock in large quantities.

Armor Vienna Soasages: Looks like little hot dogs. Tastes like Bologna. Great addition to any pot of beans or eaten by themselves. Very soft like Bologna so don't think about cooking like a hotdog on fire unless you want it falling off the stick.

Any additional information from anyone else would be great. I'd like to keep this thread going with everyone's input.

-Cade

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
all have been thoughfully prepared after been swept up off the slaughter house floor.

I do have a few of these in my preps....way in the back behind top ramen.

Whatever it is that keeps human beings intrigued about them, I will never know. My dogs eat better than most people do. But I am a firm believer in a wide range of preps, therefore....spam exists under my roof.:taped:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
We buy ham and turkey from Big lots and the 99¢ stores.
Royale brand I think on the ham and Picket Fence for the turkey.
We get canned chicken at Costco and it as well as the pink salmon is OK.
Libbys Viennas.
We get small canned Celebrity hams, they are good pan fried.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
all have been thoughfully prepared after been swept up off the slaughter house floor.

thats the great part its sorta like you never wash the pizza stone cause all the pizzas season it and make the next pizzas to be cooked that much better ...

now to add to cade i love the sardines canned in natural spring water ''who are they foolin here" and Jalapeños. little on the salty size the kind i get say they'll last for 5 years but they never last that long here

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
.....thats the great part its sorta like you never wash the pizza stone cause all the pizzas season it and make the next pizzas to be cooked that much better .......
:rofl:
then I hope they never wash the floor! Maybe that's what gives SPAM it's destinctive flavor!!!!:D:

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now to add to cade i love the sardines canned in natural spring water
Have you tried the Kipper snacks? I think they come in the red lable and are sitting in olive oil. I found them at Dollar General for a dollar. They are my favorite canned fish.

I hate the sardines in hot sauce. :eek:

-Cade

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
pigs feet we need an entry for them i tried them once and they were nasty but it was to long ago to give a good report on them and yeah the hot mustard sardines are nasty as well.

then theres the canned corned beef it comes in a see thru jar. the beef is thinly sliced and extra salty but it is very good stuff and lasts for 15-20 years from what i understand i may be wrong there though.
pickled hering is good as well.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually treet does have a virginia baked ham flavor.

Here our dollar general carries them for a buck a can.. less than half the price of spam
Yes but I tasted more of the ham taste in SPAM than in Treat.

-Cade

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
canned corned beef .
Speaking of canned corned beef I love it! I've got Hormel and Armour mixed up but one brand is better than the other. One is kinda dry with a thick whitish yellow fat ring around it while the other is good. Sorry for my not remembering but I "think" the one in white can is the not so good one while the red can is better. I can't remember which brand is the better though. Im leaning on Hormel but can't remember as I havn't stocked the corned beef for awhile.

-Cade

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As for the different flavors of Vienna sausages. These are Armour Brand with different flavors. The other brands don't have much difference. Not sure if non-Armous ones have different flavorings though.

Hot: Good.
Can be over spicy after eating a few but thats just me. Not over the top.

Mustard: Not Bad. Not real good either. People with different tastes will like it but it's not high on my list.

Cajun: Good. Tasted better than the hot with a good cajun/creole flavor going on.

Barbeque: Good. Light Barbeque flavor and a bit on the slimy side. (all the ones in sauce are to some degree) I'd say this is the best one next to the plain. Choose this one if you want basic flavor with your weenies.

-Cade

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
As for the different flavors of Vienna sausages.

Hot: Good.
Can be over spicy after eating a few but thats just me. Not over the top.

Mustard: Not Bad. Not real good either. People with different tastes will like it but it's not high on my list.

Cajun: Good. Tasted better than the hot with a good cajun/creole flavor going on.

Barbeque: Good. Light Barbeque flavor and a bit on the slimy side. (all the ones in sauce are to some degree) I'd say this is the best one next to the plain. Choose this one if you want basic flavor with your weenies.

-Cade
Wow, I thought they on;y came in bologna flavor!:D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have to admit that I really, really detest spam. My mother was a terrible cook and she used it all the time. I mean ALL the time. When I was a kid I vowed never to have a can of spam in my own home. I still don't.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I have to admit that I really, really detest spam. My mother was a terrible cook and she used it all the time. I mean ALL the time. When I was a kid I vowed never to have a can of spam in my own home. I still don't.
I feel the same way, but am amazed at how the Hawaiians have managed to turn the stuff into nearly gourmet dishes!
:thumb:

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I like Hormel dried beef in white cream gravy on toast.
Known as $hit on Shingles. The sodium is out of sight though.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
We've found the "Bacon Spam" to be pretty good. Fried it tastes pretty close to real bacon...

For me, personally, I look as Spam about the same way I do bologna and liverwurst. They're great once or twice a year. After the second helping I remember why I don't have it more often:D::D:

Regarding other canned meats; I have lots of salmon, tuna, spam, roast beef, corned beef hash adn roast beef hash. I have a selection of sardines in olive oil, Vienna sausages and beanie weenies (in NC I can get it in the 1 lb can, here in FL only in the 8oz single serving cans.) We also have a couple canned whole chickens, chunked chicken and chunked ham...

Yesterday I tried the Castleberry Tamales and thought they were fairly decent. I definitely will get more.

I've found the canned "bulk sausage" to be disgusting. I wouldn't feed it to my dogs...

Allan

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
It's not canned, and I am sure the shelf life blows, but when I go backpacking my favorite surprise treat is precooked bacon. The stuff makes the freeze dried breakfasts much more palatable.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
canned whole chickens? holy smokes.

I like the sweet sue canned stew and chicken & dumpling, myself

1 - 20 of 34 Posts