Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always looking for interesting foods to add to my stock, but today I ran across: Burnham & Morril Brown Bread with raisins.

It's a 16oz can and it says ready to serve on the side. The expiration date is also 3 years from now.

Anybody else ever seen canned bread?

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I'm always looking for interesting foods to add to my stock, but today I ran across: Burnham & Morril Brown Bread with raisins.

It's a 16oz can and it says ready to serve on the side. The expiration date is also 3 years from now.

Anybody else ever seen canned bread?
I've eaten Sailor Boy Pilot Bread and enjoyed it. Harder to get since I left Alaska.
If you do a search, you will find previous threads in which canning your own bread was mentioned.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I wouldn't bother. Store the flour instead. You can store enough to make a years worth of bread in a small space. Bread is easy to make from it too, all you need it water, and maybe some salt.

Mix the flour in a bowl, mix with warm water until it is the consistancey of a gravy and let sit with a towel for a cover.

Periodically take the towel off and fan some air into the bowl. Do not refrigerate. It will take roughly 36, to 48 hours for the yeast to culture and grow enough to rise the bread. When you start seeing it bubble really good you will be ready to add more flour and warm water untill you have enough to make loaf of bread. Make sure you add enough flour so it is nice and thick like dough.

Roll it and knead it good untill it is nice and smooth, then make it into a ball. You can also roll it into a tube shape if you like.

Put the ball in the oven and let it rise for a few hours and bake it at 350 untill it starts to look golden on the top. The bread will tend to flatten out a bit, and not look like store bought, but it is way better!

Eat.

This is a traditional old world Italian bread recipe. If you add a bit of sugar, it becomes a sweet bread. It will also culture the yeast faster. If you add salt it becomes French bread.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Looks like it's very similar to the MRE 'bread'.
Has more of a cracker type texture. It's basically hardtack. But I love a hard crunchy bread. And it keeps forever. I've eaten it two years beyond expiration date and it was fine.
It's a nice addition to preps.

·
12,005 Posts
Has more of a cracker type texture. It's basically hardtack. But I love a hard crunchy bread. And it keeps forever. I've eaten it two years beyond expiration date and it was fine.
It's a nice addition to preps.
Reply]
It's not an efficient storage of space though. With bread being so easy to make, why bother storing anything but the flour?

·
60 yrs in spite of gov.
161 Posts
Periodically take the towel off and fan some air into the bowl. Do not refrigerate. It will take roughly 36, to 48 hours for the yeast to culture and grow enough to rise the bread. When you start seeing it bubble really good you will be ready to add more flour and warm water untill you have enough to make loaf of bread. Make sure you add enough flour so it is nice and thick like dough..
If you use a lot of anti-bacterial cleaners and sprays you may not be able to do this. I've seen it happen with people and they bring the same flour to my house and it works. People today worry about germs to their own demise. Too many baths are bad for ya too but I wont start that.:D:

·
12,005 Posts
Agreed.

Although I don't see how too many baths would be bad. We are built to be in water a lot. That is why we have little hair, compared to the rest of the primates on the planet. We are water apes.

The problem is too much comercial soap.

·
60 yrs in spite of gov.
161 Posts
Agreed.

Although I don't see how too many baths would be bad. We are built to be in water a lot. That is why we have little hair, compared to the rest of the primates on the planet. We are water apes.

The problem is too much comercial soap.
Yep thats it. Too much soap. Washes the bloom off. Did you know if you wash a egg, it will not hatch? A dirty egg will hatch but a washed one wont.

·
1,794 Posts
B & M canned brown bread taught me a lot. I added quite a few cans of it to my supplies several years ago before tasting any of it. Found out the stuff sucks but it was too late. I gave it away and vowed never again to purchase anything before trying it out. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like it otherwise it would not be available. I'll stick to storing the ingredients for bread. MRE bread has not stored well for me but I expect a lot from my storage foods. Maybe too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts