Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
According to the seller’s website a can costs $9.16 (without whatever you end up paying for shipping and handling).

On average each can holds 3 pounds of bacon. Who can afford to pay $3.05 for a pound of mail order bacon?

At $3.95 per pound this bacon costs 19 cents per ounce. The sales paper for a regional grocery store in my area this week has Hormel Black Label for 25-cents per ounce. A sister store (the same owner, different name) has Hickory Sweet for 13.9 cents per ounce.

If I were in an emergency situation, I wouldn’t worry about eating bacon if the emergency is short-term. And if the emergency is long-term I would reserve whatever bacon I have for things like au gratin potatoes or scrambled eggs, in which case dehydrated bacon may work just as well- if you could dehydrate bacon. I’ve seen instructions for dehydrating ground beef, so I would assume that you dehydrate bacon as well.

There is apparently no published directions for home canning of bacon, but here are some links to possible how-to's:

http://www.fluwikie2.com/index.php?n=Forum.PressureCannersII

http://www.aaoobfoods.com/recipesandtrailfoodsII.htm

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The difference is canned bacon is cooked in the can and easily good for 5 years. The old Armor (I believe it was) was reported perfectly eatable and tasty after 20 years storage in a cool basement. Likely, this new brand (modeled after the original) will be too.
You expect to pay more for canned meat if it is quality to begin with. Otherwise, eat the grocery store raw or from the locker and dry cure it yourself.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
, I'd spend the $$ on canned ham as Dak runs about $2.25-2.50/lb. here. Of course, bacon is nature's perfect food.
We have about 50 of those rotated....fried up they are pretty good.
And yes...bacon is God's gift.
What other food hastens meeting Him so soon......:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I got my case of bacon in. Its not bad straight out of the can. I heated it up on a skillet and everything was peachy. They are 9oz cans, the look bigger in the picture. I think this stuff will be great for camping and preping.

I also tried a can of the butter it tastes great on toast. The dogs thought the extra butter on the knife was fantastic. Everyone was pleased :)

When my camera finds its way back to me Ill post pictures.

5.7mm

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Back in the day, the canned bacon I would buy was not cooked. Frying up a skillet of that leaft you with enough grease to start the next couple campfires.:p I believe it was from either Denmark or Canada
talon-out

1 - 20 of 53 Posts