Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a good source for regular burning candles and long-lasting emergency candles?

I'm trying to vary my light sources, and I like candlelight, so they won't be wasted.

Thanks.

ETA - Anyone use these?
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL C700_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]
These look interesting, but they're not exactly what I'd want to be using for everyday candlelight. Not too pretty. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
I have a decent amount of candles, but they are plan D when it comes to lighting. I have some hand crank lanterns and lights, that is plan A. Plan B is propane lantern. Plan C is oil Lamps, and then finally I will use candles if I have to.
 

·
CHEERS :p
Joined
·
1,946 Posts
our local dollar store has 8 emergency candles for a buck and they each burn over 6 hours thats about 12 cents/candle. I have bought them out twice. We have about 40 boxes or so.
 

·
Dingleberry
Joined
·
156 Posts
I have a few UCO candle lanterns around that I need to find in the garage...'tis the season for power outages. The tea light lanterns are my favorite, dirt cheap to use. These things are great, and i have used them when backpacking for just a couple of years.
The lantern units are inexpensive, the candles they use are inexpensive, and they seem pretty high quality to me.
Check out the links:
http://candlelantern.com/mini.html
http://candlelantern.com/original.html

But honestly, I keep a decent supply of just cheap old stick candles, tea lights, and some scented candles (girlfriend :xeye:) on hand all the time. You really don't need anything fancy to provide a light-source, especially indoors. But the UCO lanters are awesome for camping though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I try to pick up candles at thrift stores, Goodwill stores, etc, buy them cheap. You can bet the stores will be full of holiday candles after the first of the year, a good time to look for bargains. The candles will seem that much better at half price.

I typically melt them and remake them in whatever shape and size suites me at the moment. Sometimes I make some pretty potent scents by mixing the wax, but the price is right, ha. I prefer to make candles in jars with lids.

Humungus is correct in my opinion, have many sources, and mix and match to fit the situation. I find that I only need an intense light source less than 20 percent of the time, and the other 80 percent of the time I only need to be able to navigate around the house, candles will work for that.

Good (candle) hunting.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top