Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a chart or something that would show the possible area or spread of nuclear fallout on major CANADIAN cities?

I was not blessed enough to be born in the US of A.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone here have a chart or something that would show the possible area or spread of nuclear fallout on major CANADIAN cities?

if you look where your storms come from you will see where your fall out will come from.
in atlantic canada we get our storms from the eastern coast of the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vancouver Island is the best place to be on the North American Continent after a thermonuclear war. The prevaling winds are west to east. Most of the nuclear detonations will have take place east of Vancouver Island because that is where all of the major targets are.

·
Registered
288 Posts
actually, the coasts will both get hit. vancouver would avoid any fallout from most other targets, but it is a populated enough area to become an actual target. modern nukes are going to be either neutron bombs meant to kill people in the emmediate area or else strategic EMP bursts. it's not in anyone's best interest to use dirty bombs or even anything with a half life of more than a few days. using this logic, you cant avoid fallout, nomatter how far west you go, because the population density is high along the coast. the best place you can really hope for is somewhere downwind from the bulk of targets and away from any actual targets. coincidentally, the only place down-wind enough from the west coast that is also FAR away from any possible target is central canada.

if you are really worried about fallout get yourself an old rad meter off ebay surplus from the 60's, verify the circuit test, and get it calibrated. it costs a hundred bucks in any city. instal a sprinkler system on your roof, if you are in a warm climate. the only other thing you can easily do to prepare is make room up for radiation protection (basement is best). anything will absorb "some" radiation. if all you had was old clothes, you could pile them on all the walls around your closet and stay in it.

the roof is still a problem though, for fallout, but in most scenarios where a relatively clean bomb is used and all you are exposed to is some fallout, you only have to really worry untill you get a reading of 1/10th of a rad per hour. after that, you can come out of your basement, just stay indoors. the goal is to pick up under 25 rads. no level is safe for children, infants, and pregnant women, but for an adult, 25 is acceptable. if someone is outside they must get showered off before comming in so another inexpensive and worthwhile thing to do is install a sprinkler outside, but a garden hose will do. contrary to what you'd expect, you dont need to worry too much about an air filter.

you are far better not worrying about any of this though, as you will not survive if your city is targetted, and the bombs very clean these days, so fallout is not too big a deal as it used to be.

worry more about food, water, shelter and self defense.

·
Registered
288 Posts
oops, forgot the most important thing. in the basement, if you have a few minutes notice, run as many 5 gallon pails of dirt or gravel into the main floor and spread it over the floor above your room you are using in the basement. about 6 inches of dirt doubles the protection you would get from shingles, carpet, plaster, paint, insulation, etc. by this comparison you can see that anything will help protect you. also, another notable thing is to store distilled water. bottled well water or mineral water exposed to fallout may become slightly radioactive, but pure water won't.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
Vancouver Island is the best place to be on the North American Continent after a thermonuclear war. The prevaling winds are west to east. Most of the nuclear detonations will have take place east of Vancouver Island because that is where all of the major targets are.
id like to know where you get your information please. links appreciated.

personally i wouldn't want to be isolated on an island after SHTF. for one, food supply would be extemely limited after a major incident, and the ferries won't be running. also, i would guess the bases on the island would be targets too... ;)

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
No more migrants to the island, please. Nothing to see here, move along.
:taped:
:D:

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts

you weren't blessed to be born in the US of A......?

feel free to move, nothing against the US...but don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Those who are proud of where they were born will continue to be....:taped:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I always thought it was other way around - my grandparents defected er I mean emigrated from Canuckistan - know many others descended from Canadians who
headed south...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts