Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
I don't believe it. I used to work for a company that shipped tons and tons of grains by railcar. We had as many hopper cars sitting idle as we had moving. I've also never seen beans or grains shipped in containers, always in hoppers. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I suspect it's not common.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I believe it.

There was another shipping container shortage early this year when China shut down for the pandemic. Both full and empty containers sat at Chinese ports. Several of the Chinese ports were literally clogged with containers, and container ships had to be redirected to other ports. China was getting charged a fee for the idle containers.

To put the size of the problem into perspective: China had one-hundred-twenty-thousand (120,000) containers of chicken that spoiled in the Chinese ports due to the fact that they ran out of storage spaces with plugins for refrigerated containers; therefore, their refrigeration/freezer units weren't running. This was in addition to the refrigeration containers of chicken that were plugged in. This is just one item and just one example of the size and scope of the disruption.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I don't believe it. I used to work for a company that shipped tons and tons of grains by railcar. We had as many hopper cars sitting idle as we had moving. I've also never seen beans or grains shipped in containers, always in hoppers. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I suspect it's not common.
According to the article they're shipping overseas. I think it would be a bit hard to ship grains and beans to India and Asia in rail cars.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,433 Posts
According to the article they're shipping overseas. I think it would be a bit hard to ship grains and beans to India and Asia in rail cars.
Maybe they finally built that underwater rail tunnel to Asia. :)

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,168 Posts
I find it hard to believe that if there is money to be made that they wouldn't ship via road or rail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The problem is all these shippers are used to very specific rates of volume from very specific locations. And if they can't go from point A to point B for whatever reason all of a sudden there is a crazy bottle neck and the whole thing just fails.

Like with airlines they are just flying empty planes around to keep them in the air so they can keep their spot at the airport.

Like with oil shipping. When the price went negative because you had to pay someone to just store it on a floating tanker for months.

Like when there was a drought in the Midwest and instead of roughing it through a winter of expensive feed entire herds were just culled.

These supply disruptions are real and the are reflected in the price of goods in the market. After the culling, of course the price of meat went up. After oil storage hit peak of course prices dropped and producers went bankrupt. Airlines flying around empty, of course they are staring bankruptcy in the face as well. The list of at risk sectors is growing. As Jerome Powell said the economy is changing, permanently.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts