Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at least for years experience living in my current car. It's a KIA Optima front wheel drive 4 door sedan in black. I aquired my current job of 4 years while living in this without a second look. Think about it, could you make your car your home?

Your not just going to park in your local wally world parking lot and expect to pull this off.......especialy if SHTF. Can you take your POS or well equiped vehicle off road and not take on attention?

Tents are the station wagons of the past?

what do you think?

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
Back about a dozen years ago when I was 18 after coming out to my parents about being a lesbian I found myself suddenly homeless along with my significant other Rosie. During that time we lived passably comfortably for 3 months in the back of my Jeep Cherokee. (Up until around December, when the weather and circumstances permitted us to move into a small apartment.

Mainly to make it work one needs to drastically cut down the amount of stuff they're packing along (perhaps storing it in a well hidden stash somewhere) and take only the necessities so there's still room to actually "live" inside the vehicle.

One of the main items of importance I would stress is suitable "blackout curtains" (curtains thick enough to hide all light illuminating from inside the vehicle) These can allow you to park the vehicle somewhere and not have to worry about passing individuals (especially police) from noticing the light and stopping to harass you.

Assuming you're experiencing some kind of personal shtf scenario, (evicted due to home foreclosure, apartment fire, break up with your partner leaving you homeless etc..) you can usually find a good parking spot at any truck stop or interstate rest area with little effort and less chance of harassment from authorities. These also have the advantage of having a actual restroom and sanitized water close at hand.

If you live in the rural areas any pullover area on a back road near a river can be handy and provide a good measure of privacy, plenty of water to purify and use (and bathe in the river if it's warm enough.) and even fish if you're lucky.

In a larger spread shtf scenario the road ways in city areas are likely to be clogged with cars and traffic jams, making it a difficult choice to live out of your vehicle or not.

(personally I'd think it'd be easier and safer to bug in or get to your BOL.)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess if the roads are plugged then this would definately be an after SHTF situation. Back out cloth is optional unless you really intend to run lights at night, dumb idea IMHO. You can build a stock (prefearably multiple) locations at each stop spot if you have to keep local for an extendeded period of time.

The ideal would be to have a bug out location youn are heading to. What if when you come close.......... your location is compromised!

Ouch! Plan B

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
My old 4X4 is equiped to live in and have done so for extended periods in the bush.
Water, food, tools, Aux fuel tank, sleeping bags, bush jackets, tarps, FAK, axe, machette, recovery gear and, DX - medium, short wave coms with additional hand sets.
Spare parts, maps and cooking gear.
A bit spartan, but comfortable, thats the way I like it and has prooved itself many times.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I like having a vehicle with a hatch back. I can raise it and affix a tarp, making an impromptu lean-to. During the Ike thing I spent a lot of time in my truck. its good for short excursions but i wouldnt want to sleep in it again.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
ive lived out of sheila (99 ford sploder) on many a campin trip. however i think i could do it for a short period of time with little problems, long period would take some getting rid off stuff and simplifying.

Tuff but doable.

T

·
A Free Man
416 Posts
I have done it. The most comfortable time was in my Toyota Tacoma p/u with extended cab and standard camper shell. I put a twin mattress in the bed (which fit between the wheel wells) and still had plenty of room for storage on both sides of the wheel wells. Hanging clothes, like a suit for looking for work, was hung on the hooks in the ext. cab.
The least comfortable time was in a Datsun 280ZX and all i am going to go into is that it was very uncomfortable. But I did it for 6 mos and lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I lived in the back of a truck with acamper shell in minnesota all thru one winter. it was doable but tough. even though you have agood job doesn't mean you have money I had a great job just no money really hard times in the early 80's.
I would think the bigger the rig the more comortable the lifestyle but it does require trimming down alot on excess baggage which is never a bad thing.
I have a suburban set up for doing that right now and we have spent multiple weeks using it as our sleeping quarters it hals everything and works great a queen size air bed fits right in with room to spare on the back end for other stuff.

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
Back out cloth is optional unless you really intend to run lights at night, dumb idea IMHO.
Normally I agree completely. However depending on where in the world you live, darkness/twilight can come pretty early in the winter months. (around 5:00pm in Vermont this time of year give or take a half hour depending on cloud conditions.) So running some interior lights can become common place to make supper or do some early evening reading.

Besides this, other circumstances, (such as changing the diaper of a baby or tending to medical necessities) may very well require the use of lighting at night, during which time you most likely won't wish to advertise your location and current activity by a burst of light. (especially in a shtf scenario)

·
Registered
6 Posts
yah it would deffinitely depend on the vehicle and family size, and how deep you pockets are, to pay for gas, even though it dropped as much as it did

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see gas as being a big problem for the bigger rigs. Has anyone thought about instaling a water to hydrogen system?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I see gas as being a big problem for the bigger rigs. Has anyone thought about instaling a water to hydrogen system?
I looked into it , but found that on most of the bigger engines it didnt provide much in the way of extra mileage. What size engine does your rig have?

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
the 300m is a nice car to live outta. yes its a big sedan with plenty o trunk space and passager space i have lived out of it for a month before to see how it would work out for me and i did fine. and i'm sure it would work for kathy and kyra as well if need be
the engine is not big but it is capable "v6 3.6l"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts