Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, want a new knife.
Let me explain what I need.
Fixed blade. 4" to 6" length. CARBON STEEL. I do NOT want Stainless Steel.
Handle material not critical.
Thin, narrow blade shape similar to the Case "Leather Hunter #0381" or Ka-Bar "Hunter #1232. Blade shape must be thin and somewhat narrow.
The Ka-Bar "Short" USMC looks kind of decent. Anyone have one?

You folks have any suggestions?
Price isn't super critical but I'd like to keep it under $60.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
If that Ka Bar Hunter came in carbon steel, it sounds like it would be perfect for you. What exactly are your requirements? What do you plan on doing with it?

AG Russell's Deer Hunter in D2 (not a real high carbon steel, but better than most stainless varieties) is very thin and narrow...a great, light blade (4" blade under $60.00):
Deer Hunter

The Marbles Ideal and Plainsman may be what you're looking for...
Marbles Knives

Bark River Knives

Another slightly more expensive option...I know, quality carbon steel knives cost a little more, but check the close-out Bark River knives, some decent deals and plenty of blades that may meet your requirements.

If you don't mind some Scandinavian designs, take a looke at:
ragweedforge; he carries a lot of great scandi-knives, most with carbon steel and very thin blades and several with prices under $60.00...

ROCK6

·
Registered
261 Posts
RAT Cutlery makes some nice knives but are somewhat expensive. Ontario also makes a nice 6 inch tanto. My friend has one and he likes it a lot.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
because stainless wont hold an edge like carbon steel will its aslo hard to maintain the edge because its much harder and more brittle

true...holds an edge longer though.

my Bug out knife is a Cold steel SRK, i think edge retintion to be very important. i havent had any problems with it so far and its been through its paces. aslong as you dont pry or stab into dirt and rocks its fine.

Ka-bar makes some very nice knives, so does ontario with there Spec plus line. i like 1095 HC but in the conditions where i live it can be very wet and humid so stainless is a must. the trade offs are worth it to me. I also carry a smaller blade in 1095, its the utility knife and bush knife so it needs to be as sharp as possible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Need a smallish knife for general utility chores, mainly accurate detail work.
Large wide knives just don't work well for me.
Want the carbon because it sharpens better. Most commercial stainless pretty much svcks IMO.
I'll investigate the scandinavian knives.

·
Registered
439 Posts
+1 for Mora knives. Razor sharp, easy to sharpen, a dream to carve with, nearly weightless, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
I didn't mention "custom" knives, but there are a lot of excellent makers that make great knives at very reasonable costs and too your specifications. One such individual is Bryan Breeden out of Nebraska. He shows up a lot over on Bladeforums and I had him make me his Kelly Knife. He works with very thin stock (usually less than 1/8" such as 3/32" and 5/64") of O1 steel (excellent high carbon) and his orange micarta handles are excellent (he'll do other handles if desired). His blades are tremendous cutters and he's a joy to work with. Most of his knives are easily sub $100 and you end up getting exactly what you want...

He has a Pathfinder design and a few others...

Breeden Knife Reviews

If you're interested, give him a shot...I couldn't recommend him enough.

Bryan Breeden
[email protected] or
402-300-0058

ROCK6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts