Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a idea,,,, do you think it would work?
lets say you were going to purchase a new firearm, and it was one for which shells were hard to find

example: Here in NYS , you can buy all the 30-30 lever guns you want,, but shelves have few shells if any on them

So,, not at Waldomart,, but say your LGS,, and I do hope you DO buy from yur Local Gun Store when the price is anywhere within shouting distance of Wallysmarts price.

what if you said,, Clyde,, I really want this rifle, but I am concerned I cannot get enough ammo to break it in, and sharpen my eye,, and also go hunting over the next few years.... if you could find me a case of shells , I would be whippin out my wallet before the week is out.

I figure if $200 or more profit , plus the profit on the shells , was riding,, Clyde might make some calls ,even if his distributor was out..heck, he might get a couple boxes from a competitor, or even try to buy or trade for some back from another customer he knows to be a hoarder

is this a good plan,, do you think a Clyde would see it as good business ?
or is he makin so much selling ARs and Glocks that he would not want to go to the trouble..

or would it maybe not work on a $500 to $700 rifle, but might it on a pricier one ?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Use your line, and offer to pay a lower price on the rifle because ammo is expensive.

I wonder what local gun store owner would say....

I personally don't see guns selling any easier on the local gun trader websites when people add ammo to the deal (at retail price mind you). I doubt it's that effective.

·
Registered
448 Posts
that is a head scratcher. bundling always works in business and i dont see why it wouldnt work in that example. i just wonder if there is an FFL thing that prevents them from doing that?

But then again, they would have to hold back some ammo to sell with those guns and possibly miss a sale waiting for selling bundled deal. Like the saying goes, bird in a hand beats two in the bush.

·
Registered
206 Posts
At the local gun stores here they usualy keep ammo for the guns they sell,when the run on guns/ammo started Dec. 2012 started they sold out here but later held back at least "some" ammo for the guns they sold.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Short answer: no.

I imagine most of the new gun owners of the past 2 years have bought firearms in calibers for which there was ammo on the shelf. Since they paid full markup to their LGS or Big Box store, they probably had little idea they were being gouged on the ammo as well, and Clyde sure wasn't going to budge. He's got 2 buyers for every AR or 9mm he can stock, and his help is unpacking ammo straight from the shipping container into a buyers cart.

Reloading is the way to go, but even there the costs of parts have jumped, if you can find them. I priced powder last week at Cabelas; it'd be cheaper to use cocaine, it if were legal.

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
Posting this on a prepping/survival forum gets one sort of perspective, but there are of course those folks out there who aren't stockpiling, frequently training or even planning to do much shooting. They probably aren't concerned with price-per-round or worried that a couple hundred rounds of ammo won't be enough. The casual shooter will buy ammo when they see it on the shelf, but not sweat it if they don't. Can't find ammo relatively easily? Just means they'll wait to go shooting when they see it on the shelf.

I recently sold a .22LR rifle to a guy, including some ammo in the purchase price. He was thrilled to get the rifle because it was a model he really wanted, and the ammo was just a bonus. Previously, I'd had it for sale on consignment at the LGS, and they initially forgot to note on the hang-tag that ammo was included, so I asked them to add that, knowing that they didn't actually have any .22LR ammo in stock. It might have been the extra incentive a potential buyer needed to make the purchase. Of course, it ended up not mattering because my wife found me a buyer willing to spend more than I would have made selling on consignment after the LGS took a percentage.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Most of the local gun stores here have the ammo that you need its just so inflated in price I cant afford it. The funny part is that they are usually the first ones in line at the box stores on delivery day. I am all for markups but 100% to 200%.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Luckily here in Georgia we have gun shows here pretty frequently if the LGS's are dried up. I have seen where there is a gun law scare, people behind the booths at the shows will price gouge.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
I bought a .22 rifle last summer. Since then, I have only been able to buy a few boxes of 50 shells --- in FL, MT, and TN after DOZENS of trips looking for it. .22 ammo is as scare as it has always been unless of course you are willing to pay 10X retail --- that is where all of the ammo goes as soon as it arrives. The same people are there a few steps ahead of me every time and some have even admitted they resell everything. It helps to have connections. BTW, other ammo is definately starting to come back as our local Walmart is now stocked up with most calibers.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
14,148 Posts
The last new gun I bought (Sept 2013) was in a caliber that I've been reloading for 30 years

It's been over 20 years since I've purchased any new factory loaded ammo in that caliber.

If I buy any new ammo, it's solely for the brass, except for .22 of course.

Reactions: David Bevis

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
Got 500 rnds from Sportsmans Warehouse for $150 OTT with my military discount (equates to tax free, or sticker price).

I left a few thousand rounds on the shelf when I left.... only because I couldnt spend any more.

Tula 7.62X39 BTW.

EB

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I just traded into a near mint Smith 59 (with box, papers, cleaning tool still in plastic...)
And a marlin 81TS.

I shop for ammo on my shelves.

Guns have one of the smallest markups of any industry... Used guns you MIGHT make traction.
Might.

Although that smith might be too nice to shoot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A couple LGS do that in my area. Even Academy has a pile of .22 for people buying a 22 pistol/rifle. They won't sell it to you unless you purchase a firearm that shoots it. I've only seen it done with a couple calibers but it does help the sales. I personally won't buy a firearm that I don't have or can't get ammo for. If I want a club, I can buy a baseball bat for cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FNG here guys.
I find it interesting that here in a forum like this there is not more answers related to reloading??
It is a very simple process to reload a case.
I personaly buy scrap Wheel weight lead and melt it down and cast my own bullets.
Bullet casting lowers the cost of say your 30-30 ammo to pennys per round.
I currently cast for .40 S&W, 45acp, 38/357, 7.62 (.312) or 308, and even my 5.56/ .223
now in rifles it takes a bit of experementing with loads to get good accuracy along with functional cycling of your weapon I.E. bolt carrier moving rearward enough to chamber the next round, AND the carrier/bolt locking open after the final round, But It is quite rewarding to produce your own ammo that is MORE accurate than factory ammo.
The only ammo I haven't reloaded is .22LR as it is still available here in ME cheaply and I have a pile of it, and quite honestly not sure how you reload that?? or even if you can??BUT if you cast and reload for say an AR you can shoot "full sized" loads for the same price as a .22 LR conversion as you know you should always train full weight, Full load, full capacity. Sorry for rambling new to the forum.
Any thoughts??
Maybe you all do this and I'm wasting space
sorry if thats the case.
But currently for instance I have enough lead/composite to load aprox 10,000 +++ rounds of each of my cal. It is certanly worth learning and doing as if an old dumb sgt like me can do it anyone can......

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is true that for a period primers and powder were tuff to get. Here in ME thats all back to normal, but like you said it's better to over buy than under buy when it comes to supplies.
I willl typically have several good universal powders on the shelf and then my "pet powders" that I use. Primers are ( in my opinion) the most important as in a time of extreme difficulty one COULD if you had to dis-assemble cartrages of other cal and hygrade the.powder for your weapon.
meaning if you have say a .40 S&W and you HAD TOO you could ( if you came accross it ) disassemble say 9mm ammo and use that powder to reload your .40
Same goes for a lot of cal
basically what Im saying is if you have primers, cases, and a way to melt lead you can cast and use the powder and lead from other cal ammo.
You know in the survivalist sense.
Of coarse you could change weapons true BUT
you have a weapon you have trained with, you know,
your comfortable with hopefully accurate with, and more importantly you know so long as you trained with its shortcomings are.
right now if you go to a tire place you can get wheel weight lead pretty cheap. its worth it
To just switch out for a new weapon would be in a sense starting at zero.
Right??

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
Buying Tula and Wolf and Bear is still in the end, cheaper than reloading. YMMV, but that is what I have come up with... and one reason I buy steel case.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Ive *never ever* had a problem with Tula, and so I continue to buy & shoot & bank... I dont even know how many rounds have been down the pipe of the K's, but it never failed to shoot, never failed to extract and never failed to chamber. I think I just nutted...

EB

·
Registered
619 Posts
Short answer: no. Reloading is the way to go, but even there the costs of parts have jumped, if you can find them. I priced powder last week at Cabelas; it'd be cheaper to use cocaine, it if were legal.
I'm not so sure of that. I pay $19.95 for a pound of Power Pistol. When was the last time you heard of a pound of cocaine for $19.95 a lb? :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
the topic is a reminder that spending a small fortune several years ago allows me to avoid this issue all together. if the supply ever exceeds the current demand it would be best to do the same again. one cannot tell what will happen in the future...but if you can get a deal on ammo...jump on it and worry about what the spouse will say later.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.