Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a very strange year. Almost no growing season, and now too much winter and snow - we don't like snow here.

Year before last, we had wind storm after wind storm after wind storm in December. This year, we are getting snow after snow after snow and now it's going to get worse this weekend with wind and snow! Ugh. Enough already. The kids missed so many days due to adverse weather that the state legislature had to forgive half the days so the kids wouldn't be going to school until nearly August.

I guess this area (Tacoma WA - kind of south Puget Sound) used to get harder winters. We haven't had 18 inches of snow in one blast like we did about 20 - 30 years ago. And, when my dad was young, the wetlands out in Fife and Milton used to freeze hard enough to skate on. I don't think anyone has done that since his generation.

We just have too many hills here. Anyone see the buses hanging out over I-5 on the news today?

Ugh, it's only December.

Is it really weird where you are?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Well it was 79 here today, nice light breeze...more like late sept/oct than december! It sure dosen't feel like christmas...that's for sure! usually it's mid to low 40's here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This has been a very strange year. Almost no growing season, and now too much winter and snow - we don't like snow here.

Year before last, we had wind storm after wind storm after wind storm in December. This year, we are getting snow after snow after snow and now it's going to get worse this weekend with wind and snow! Ugh. Enough already. The kids missed so many days due to adverse weather that the state legislature had to forgive half the days so the kids wouldn't be going to school until nearly August.

I guess this area (Tacoma WA - kind of south Puget Sound) used to get harder winters. We haven't had 18 inches of snow in one blast like we did about 20 - 30 years ago. And, when my dad was young, the wetlands out in Fife and Milton used to freeze hard enough to skate on. I don't think anyone has done that since his generation.

We just have too many hills here. Anyone see the buses hanging out over I-5 on the news today?

Ugh, it's only December.

Is it really weird where you are?
I know what you mean I live in the mojave desert in socal at about 3500 feet and right now outside it is 26 degrees and there is 2.5 feet of snow on the ground and has been for 3 days now!! Glad to see global warming is keeping things nice and tropical for us!

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
Wow, I cant remember the last time they cancelled school here because of snow. Of course, all the buses are equipped with chains,. I love winter anyway you slice it, almost as if the challenge gets my adrenaline pumpin'.:D:

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
It's funny that so many folks in my area of Alaska have forgotten what winters used to be like 30 or so years ago...this summer and winter have been very much like 'the old days'. I'm one of those who is thankful for the cold weather again this year to kill off those encroaching bugs and weeds heading north due to the warm weather of recent years. Did wish for a nicer summer for my garden but I'm with Mad Dog, I really love winter. Didn't someone on this forum say that there is no such thing as bad weather, only unprepared people...I've been comfortable on the deck of a ship in freezing snow and rain. Oh look, it's almost 9:30 am - time to bring in more wood....it'll be light in another couple of hours, should get up over 10 today.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Here, in western North Carolina, it's been unusually dry for 10 years particularly during the critical season of late Spring.

This Autumn has been mild and dry but big rain last week. Unseasonably warm and overcast today.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Strange growing seaon - tomatos didn't start producing until Nov, then went nuts. DH picked them all for me last week after it snowed and we had a big mess of fried green tomatos, which he had never had before.

Lost two days of work last week due to snow in Yucca Valley & 29 palms, but the snow at home was heavy, wet, nasty stuff..... and has now mostly morphed into MUD.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Ohio here. Had a great growing season for the home garden. Last year was not so good. So far, this December seems colder..and earlier. More snow so far, although no real accumulation. Right now the temperature is in the teens.. winds 30 mph.. wind chill was minus 7 a couple hours ago. My opinion.. seems to be a cooling trend the past two years. Time will tell! May be a good winter for snow ice cream! The squirrels are sure busy around here.. maybe they know something? ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts