Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO as soon as Uncle Sam sends my cash to me I'm off to get the Saiga 7.62.
I am wondering though since it built the same as the AK, will it take the same "abuse" like an AK and still fire? Does it have the same number of moving parts?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It is the same.It has actualy fewer parts cause it does not switch to full auto.I have one in 308 with a 22'' bbl.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool, I'm calling my local dealer right now, he has 3 a 223, and Carbine and the rifle, I think one is a 7.62x39 {30-30} and the other 7.62x51{308} is that correct?
Also 16" or 20" barrel? What would you prefer for a battle weapon? Keep in mink I will be adding the AK furniture to it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ok cool, I'm calling my local dealer right now, he has 3 a 223, and Carbine and the rifle, I think one is a 7.62x39 {30-30} and the other 7.62x51{308} is that correct?
Also 16" or 20" barrel? What would you prefer for a battle weapon? Keep in mink I will be adding the AK furniture to it.

The 7.62x39 is not a 30-30 if your asking that question. The .223 one's I would buy I would stick to the original round 7.62x39 and you should be able to find mags easyer and probly cheaper.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Saiga recievers are all made to the spec of the heavier duty RPK design, because the Saiga series started with the heavy shotgun configuration

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
There is an additional link in the fore control group setting the trigger back.
A G2 kit from Tapco and a bullet guide from Dinzag.com will get you rid of that and give you the original profile all AKs should be restored to.
Read up at the saiga 12 forum, get familiar with 922r, comply and shoot the hell out of your new rifle.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Saiga recievers are all made to the spec of the heavier duty RPK design, because the Saiga series started with the heavy shotgun configuration
No they aren't. The saigas lack dimpled magwells and bullet-guides for hi-capacity magazines. Further nearly all lack the RPK "X" "Y" stamping.

That being said, they are great ak-type rifles and would be a great addition to any collection. How much does your dealer sell them for? I would try gilbertsguns or classicarms before I bought from a local dealer, but thats just me, I hate being ripped off.....:thumb:

·
Registered
404 Posts
how tuff do they need to be?

YouTube - Saiga Shotguns

i think they are plenty tuff :thumb: no they dont need a bullet guide unless your converting them to ak mags. if you buy the mags made for the saiga they work just fine :thumb: and yes dwind is right they are made heavier or else the 308 would blow up.

http://www.jocoemprise.com/rifles/saiga.html
TRUST ME, you want the bullet guide, the magazines that are made for saiga are expensive little F%^kers. Regular AK mags are still relatively cheap, and in many cases better quality.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
TRUST ME, you want the bullet guide, the magazines that are made for saiga are expensive little F%^kers. Regular AK mags are still relatively cheap, and in many cases better quality.
that is very true they are $12 more than the price of AK mags for 20 rnd mags. but its not a must have or do, you can buy the saiga mags and be just fine. but it would be alot cheaper if your going to buy ALOT of mags, but if you bought 4 saiga mags you could have bought 5 AK mags after you put in the bullet guide. one thing that is good about the saiga mags is that when it runs out of ammo it will hold the bolt back but not really worth the high cost of the mags.

personely i would get an AK (mak90,mak91,nhm91) before i would get a saiga 7.62x39. what really makes saiga stand out is the saiga 12 shotgun and saiga 308. you just cant get many other rifles like those in those calibers specially the saiga 12

i have noticed AK drums sky rocketing in price last year a 75rnd drum was around $100 at most

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG031-36.html

mags was around $14 now they are

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG028-36.html

but you can get plastic ones for alot cheaper
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG040-36.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is very true they are $12 more than the price of AK mags for 20 rnd mags. but its not a must have or do, you can buy the saiga mags and be just fine. but it would be alot cheaper if your going to buy ALOT of mags, but if you bought 4 saiga mags you could have bought 5 AK mags after you put in the bullet guide. one thing that is good about the saiga mags is that when it runs out of ammo it will hold the bolt back but not really worth the high cost of the mags.

personely i would get an AK (mak90,mak91,nhm91) before i would get a saiga 7.62x39. what really makes saiga stand out is the saiga 12 shotgun and saiga 308. you just cant get many other rifles like those in those calibers specially the saiga 12

i have noticed AK drums sky rocketing in price last year a 75rnd drum was around $100 at most

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG031-36.html

mags was around $14 now they are

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG028-36.html

but you can get plastic ones for alot cheaper
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG040-36.html

Cheaper than Dirt is not. They are higher than most others. I like the 7.62x39 round better for brushy areas and the .223 for open 200+ yds. The .308 is great for all, but ammo is outragious. If you go with x39, convert to ak mags, .223 convert to AR mags, .308 convert to FAL mags to get the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Saiga's have gotten expensive. They are fantastic rifles, made in Russia, so they are true Russian rifles. If you want to do a conversion so you can use the cheap mags, it will likely cost you more to convert the Saiga to AK configuration, than it would to buy a WASR right now. The .410 and 12 gauge is a different story (20 gauge doesn't have a lot of after market support), there is not another shotgun on the market like them, so they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Before you by a Saiga you may want to price th mags. A freind bought one and his 30 round mags cost double what a standard AK mag cost. Also watch the front sight post to make sure it is straight and aligned with the rear sight.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
how tuff do they need to be?

YouTube - Saiga Shotguns

i think they are plenty tuff :thumb: no they dont need a bullet guide unless your converting them to ak mags. if you buy the mags made for the saiga they work just fine :thumb: and yes dwind is right they are made heavier or else the 308 would blow up.

http://www.jocoemprise.com/rifles/saiga.html
Question I have, what is older, the music in that video or that bus lol???

Saiga's are good stuff, the rifles have the new 100 series gas blocks and are considered better than your run of the mill akm clone. you can convert for pistol grip and for ak mags. They lack the ability to take anything on the muzzle but I suppose you can swap for a threaded FSB as well. Or you can just order an already converted Saiga.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
You may come out a little cheaper buying a regular sport saiga and have it converted. You can buy a tapco buttstock with pistol grip for 70 bucks, no tooling required just screws on. Then you can have a gunsmith convert it to accept ak mags for around the same price. So if you pay 340 for the saiga, 140 to mod it to be like a regular ak and you come out under 500. That's around 200 hundred less than what you would pay for a cheap WASR right now.

Site for buttstock http://www.mississippiautoarms.com

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Get your Saiga with a 20 inch barrel.
A Saiga is an AK--made by General Kalashnikov's own factory.
It's the official AK.

It actually one of the best AKM's available.

It will accept AK mags with a Dinzag bullet ramp which is easily installed.
Then you have to file the mag catch a tad until they snap in.

The Saiga's imported to the USA have the trigger group move rearward.
This is easily converted with a G2 Tapco trigger group and a little work.
You can put all the AK furniture on it you like--however will have to use the Dinzag lower handguard reciever retainer, or take the sightpost and gas diverter off, mill a slot and use a standard AK handguard retainer. The Dinzag way is a little pricey, by quicker.

Use WASR wood furniture--make it look bad-ass old school.

T

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get your Saiga with a 20 inch barrel.
A Saiga is an AK--made by General Kalashnikov's own factory.
It's the official AK.

It actually one of the best AKM's available.

It will accept AK mags with a Dinzag bullet ramp which is easily installed.
Then you have to file the mag catch a tad until they snap in.

The Saiga's imported to the USA have the trigger group move rearward.
This is easily converted with a G2 Tapco trigger group and a little work.
You can put all the AK furniture on it you like--however will have to use the Dinzag lower handguard reciever retainer, or take the sightpost and gas diverter off, mill a slot and use a standard AK handguard retainer. The Dinzag way is a little pricey, by quicker.

Use WASR wood furniture--make it look bad-ass old school.

T
Takezo: You have a lot of misconceptions about the rifle. Yes its made at The Izhmash factory, but its not an AK 103 clone by any stretch of the imagination, nore is it an AKM. The saiga is just a nutered "AK-Style" rifle made for the specific purpose of circumnavigating stringent importation standards. Remember, the rifle cannot accept normal magazines without a bullet-guide, it lacks a threaded barrel, it lacks the bayonet lug, it lacks a pistol grip forcing users to convert it, it lacks magazine well dimples AND to top it all off it lacks the proper rear sighting of an AKM!!!
If you want a real AK 103 clone there is only one commercially available in the USA and its sold by Arsenal as their SGL-20 Series. Anyway, maybe you should do more research before you post....:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts