Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please answer my question,

What is beef jerky?

Please bear in mind I am from Wales in the UK, I have heard about it but never found out what it is and is it good for survival food and how long would it last. Thank you

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
beef dried in strips. all the liquid is literally dried out of it. How long can it last? Months, possible years, depending on how it's done.

Reactions: SJack

·
531 Posts
Meat, usually beef. Thinly sliced, then marinated in a 'brine'. The brine is usually a mix soy sauce, Worcestershire or similar, pepper, etc. Then quickly dried so it's chewy / tough (not too tough though), but very flavorful and lasts a long time due to the salt in the brine mixture kind of 'curing' the meat.

Very easy to make on your own and a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good question. It is dried and heavily seasoned beef. I can give you recipes as can many here. Mine will keep on the shelf about two weeks (ish). The meat is cut along the grain in strands. GREAT STUFF.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Dehydrated beef strips. Usually done by baking it in an oven for a LONG time at a low temperature.

It does last SEVERAL weeks without refrigeration, but keep it in an airtight container. (e.g. freezer bags)

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
dont they sell jerky in the uk???

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

Are there any recipes like MK-9 wrote, as that sounded really nice.

·
531 Posts
Dehydrated beef strips. Usually done by baking it in an oven for a LONG time at a low temperature.

It does last SEVERAL weeks without refrigeration, but keep it in an airtight container. (e.g. freezer bags)
Never tried it that way. Not sure how long it takes, but if you use paper furnace filters, then bungie cord them to a box fan, takes about 24 hours for me doing it that way. Since I can't find true 'paper' filters I use fiberglass ones and sandwich the meat between paper towels so the fiberglass doesn't get into the meat. Probably why it takes so long, but it's really easy that way.

·
531 Posts
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

Are there any recipes like MK-9 wrote, as that sounded really nice.
Here you are man, this is from Alton Brown's Good Eats program from here in the U.S.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
* 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 2/3 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html

I will warn you though, beef jerky is ADDICTING! :D::thumb:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that MK-9, I will ask her indoors to try to make some, I also intend to buy some.

Once again, Thanks to you all for the info.

·
531 Posts
Thanks for that MK-9, I will ask her indoors to try to make some, I also intend to buy some.

Once again, Thanks to you all for the info.
Anytime man. Don't say I didn't warn you though. The stuff is so addicting. It's hard for me to keep the stuff around without ravaging a bag of it. :D:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, I love Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Lamb, Duck, Pheasant, Wood Pigeon and all fish as well, I don't know about you lot but I would go crazy If I couldn't eat red meat in my diet lol.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
LOL, I love Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Lamb, Duck, Pheasant, Wood Pigeon and all fish as well, I don't know about you lot but I would go crazy If I couldn't eat red meat in my diet lol.
I'm with you there! fried, broiled, grilled, smoked, MEAT! Just finally had some lamb ribs a while back at a place I stopped at while traveling in Tenn. Called Sugar's Ribs. Nice place, built onto the side of a mountain...talk about fallin off the bone DELICIOUS BBQ!

KENTUCKY TRIP PICTURES (84).jpg

Any of our Tenn. brethren eat there?

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
What is beef jerky? Freaking delicious, that's what it is. Careful though,if you are going to survive on it you'll need some source of complex carbs to balance it out or you'll literally starve to death with a full belly. Zero carbs in beef jerky. You'll end up on an unintentional Atkins diet. Which is not cool if you don't have a whole lot of excess body fat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a place for all of God's critters! Right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to you all for the replies, I am really looking forward to trying some in the New Year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts