Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into prepping and realized that my employer has tons and tons of Food Grade buckets just all over the place plus 55 gallon drums. So ive been acquiring what i can without looking fanatic about it all. Anyways, i recently picked up 2 (55 Gallon) drums that contained basically the equivalent of bleach in them. I figure if i rinse them out good they'd be fine for some rain collection system. But what about actual drinking water and storing them in my basement? What are my options with these drums, and whats the most efficient way to use them?

Info on the product that was in them, o and they are Food Grade HDPE2. Thanks!

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00167700052&DIST_NR=001677#Prod_Id

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
If you're sure that's what was in them, rinse them out, and you should be good to go.

One thing people don't much consider is that they can store all kinds of "hinky" water for drinking if they pass it through a good filter system such as a berkey.

I've prepped calcium hypochlorite in powder form for constituting bleach to disinfect water. Part of the "formula" is to put a couple drops in per gallon (or thereabouts). What's left in your barrels might be equivalent to that.

Another thing that you can do with water like that is use it for washing or flushing. It doesn't have to be potable, and you'll have need for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just don't forget that you will need water for food prep and washing up. In the AZ desert I drink about 1 gallon per day, and if there is work to be done after TSHTF, more water may be needed. Those containers sound perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts