Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate works at a local latin restaurant and every night they throw away all of the side dishes, he will bring home 2-3 huge container of free food every other night. Its all very yummy! stuff like steamed white rice with caramelized onions, with or without black beans, butter pan fried plantains, smashed sweet potato's with sliced banana, garlic mashed potato, grilled asparagus, grilled green beans, stir fried vegetables, all of this has been cooked. also stuff like tomato jalapeno salsa, mango salsa, guacamole, bread. Just wondering if this can be used as future preps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My roommate works at a local latin restaurant and every night they throw away all of the side dishes, he will bring home 2-3 huge container of free food every other night. Its all very yummy! stuff like steamed white rice with caramelized onions, with or without black beans, butter pan fried plantains, smashed sweet potato's with sliced banana, garlic mashed potato, grilled asparagus, grilled green beans, stir fried vegetables, all of this has been cooked. also stuff like tomato jalapeno salsa, mango salsa, guacamole, bread. Just wondering if this can be used as future preps?
My wife and I have made a specialty out of freezing food for storage. Although the previous poster made a great point, some of that stuff can be frozen with little effort. Here's how:

1.) Rice- no point in freezing it. Eat it, refrigerate it until it is gone or no longer fresh. Rice is super cheap, and best stored dry, uncooked.

2.) Plaintains-
If you have access to a vacuum sealer, or vacuum bags (what I use), store them with as little oxygen in the bag, 1 layer deep, so the plaintains are touching each other or even pressed up against each other, and lay them on their side in the freezer flat, so they'll freeze quickly. After they freeze into one solid piece, you can move it around and stack the bags/planks. 4 to 6 month deep freeze shelf life.

3.) Beans-

Cooked beans can be poured into a plastic bag- Ziploc, for example- and then lay the bag on its side in the freezer. As before,the bag can be moved around and stacked once it freezes solid. 6- 8 month shelf life in deep freeze.

4.) Cooked Sweet potatoes- if they are smased, put them in ziploc and press all the air out of the bag. It will keep for 6 - 8 months in a deep freeze.

5.) Asparagus green beans, most tender vegetables:

These are the most difficult to freeze without destroying w/ freezer burn.

First, lay them out on a flat pan. Then sprinkle lemon juice and salt on them. It is best if they are patted dry with tissue. Then insert them into vaccum type bags, and get all the air out of the bags.

**If you do a good job removing all the air, they will store for 4 to 6 months. If you do a poor job of it, and leave some air in there, they will be spoiled in 2 months- and you will know it, because they'll crust over with ice,and develop a foul flavor. Once that happens, just throw them out.

Once you freeze food, keep it frozen; do not allow it to thaw- even partially- until you are ready to consume it. When thawing, try to thaw vegetables quickly, raw meats slowly.

Most Salsa- except salsa containing pineapple- can be stored in a plastic container in the freezer and it will do just fine as long as you fill it completely to the top, and press the cover down hard so that excess flows out of the sides. This gives you are reasonably tight seal, with very little air inside. Then, rinse of the container in cold water to remove the spillage, dry with a towel, and place in the coldest part of the freezer until frozen solid.

From there, you can arrange as you like.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I'm with SR on this one... eat it, and use the money you save to buy more direct LTS preps. Second hand food is a virus waiting to happen.

Also, do not bank that this will be around much longer. Pretty much all the people I know who work for/have worded for restaurants or catering companies are barred from taking anything home. The companies have a strict policy; all left over food must be destroyed. It is the easiest road to avoid legal problems.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
if you have an unlimited supply of gas, you can dehydrate the beans and rice: set your oven to 225, stick a wooden spoon in the door, so moisture escapes. Spear the beans and rice on a cookie sheet, and stir about every thirty minutes until dry, will take 5-10 hours. Ziplock it, or vaccum seal it. This is ideal backpacking food. Put it in a cookpot, add enough water to cover it 1/2 inch, boil and stir, adding a little bit of water at a time until it's good.

There are lots of recipes for stuff like this, but drying your own meals for a week in the woods will cost you more in gas than ingredients.

And something are great: like my moms chili... Others, like an egg based breakfast casserole; are never quite right. Your rice will likely be an odd kind of "soft crunchy" but still edible.

I'm planning on setting up a solar oven this summer to do some more experimenting, would be a good method for camping food, but uses way too much fuel.

And somebody knows more about this than I do, but can't salsa be canned?

·
I have nothing to say
501 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. There's a reason that stuff is supposed to be thrown out.

There was a cook at a place I worked at years and years ago who got fired for taking home fried chicken for her dog.

If you wouldn't feed that stuff to a dog...

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
peak oil your wrong, food left over from that night is perfectly fine.

I was a cook for a few years, im not now. but i used to bring home stuff all the time from burgers and chicken boobs to mexican food, all of it fine. it hasnt been sitting out for any amount of time. if i left it on the counter over night...

T

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
I agrree with straight razor

I use to have a friend with a roach coach (Taco truck) and i would do free repairs for him and i got to eat there for free the money i saved i used to by food to store
sometimes he would give me bags of rice and beans you might want to see if to can get the same maybe cheaper from them

and if you know someone who works fastfood when they close they get to take home the food thats cooked i get stuff from my friends kids all the time mcdonalds,tacobell and even in and out burger ( the best) they always want me to build them stuff so they hook me up

i no its not good to eat fast food every day but if you do it twice a week or so you still save enough to buy food to store

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't try canning that salsa, it's one of a few items that is very particular about content for long term canning.

Freezing the food is likely the safest method. Canning precooked food isn't the worst idea but most 'safe' canning recipes are perfectly balanced to prevent growth of bacteria in the final product. Putting unknown quantities of ingredients in a jar is likely to lead to stomach discomfort at the least.

Drying it in a food dehydrator is also an option, though usually cooked foods are freeze dried quickly to prevent bacteria issues.

Nom

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
heres a thought. spread mashed potatoes on a baking sheet very thin, and bake on low heat until they dry and become kind of a potatoe crunchy thing. just an idea to try

Reactions: VanMan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts