Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it would be a decent survival knife and what kind of steel is it made of?

It has a wood handle and is 12" total length with a blade of 7". I got it many years ago in Germany on a military installation if that helps. Any info or theories are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
No question! Is a military issue KaBar fighting knife. Just like the one I was issued when I attached to my first EOD unit.
The ones with raw leather colored handles are bought and sold commercially, the black ones are issued.. or were when I was in.

Edit: and the handle isn't wood.. it is hard compressed leather.

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Just wondering if it would be a decent survival knife and what kind of steel is it made of?

It has a wood handle and is 12" total length with a blade of 7". I got it many years ago in Germany on a military installation if that helps. Any info or theories are appreciated.
Ontario Knife Company - Makers of KaBar Knives. www.ontarioknife.com

http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/10
498 Marine Combat (NSN: 1095-00-392-4102)
Description: 498 Marine Combat Knife - 8180

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No question! Is a military issue KaBar fighting knife. Just like the one I was issued when I attached to my first EOD unit.
The ones with raw leather colored handles are bought and sold commercially, the black ones are issued.. or were when I was in.

Edit: and the handle isn't wood.. it is hard compressed leather.
Thanks! Do/Did you use yours as a survival knife? How well do you think it will hold up if I use it like a hatchet? Do you know what kind of steel it is made of? Now that I know what it is, I can research it a little more and probably answer most of those questions myself if you don't know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/10
498 Marine Combat (NSN: 1095-00-392-4102)
Description: 498 Marine Combat Knife - 8180
Looks like 1095 carbon steel makes for a decent knife as long as it is taken care of so it doesn't rust. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=144728

I think I will bring this knife out of closet protection duty and use it as my go-to survival knife now. Thanks for the info!

·
Mountain William
736 Posts
Looks like 1095 carbon steel makes for a decent knife as long as it is taken care of so it doesn't rust.
Carbon Steel doesn't hold an edge QUITE as long as Stainless, but it is easier to sharpen than Stainless.

Also, carbon steel will throw sparks when run down a flint rod, whereas SS won't.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It is as good or better than any other knife out there for survival use. Very tough knives and designed for survival type use.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Excellent knife. I personally use a US Navy Kbar.

One word of advice. Get a new Sheath. Mine was garbage too.

You can buy better ones on Amazon.

Reactions: jonathan101514119

·
Registered
111 Posts
K-Bars are indeed excellent knives. I have one in my BOB and another I use when camping. I have split kindling with it, hacked tree limbs, notched wood, etc and never had an issue. I am not great at knife sharpening but even I can put an edge on it you can shave with. A great all around knife for sure. :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent knife. I personally use a US Navy Kbar.

One word of advice. Get a new Sheath. Mine was garbage too.

You can buy better ones on Amazon.
Will do. I thought I was going to have to have one custom made but that is great Amazon sells them. I'd like to get a horizontal carry sheath but the knife may be a bit to big to carry in the small of my back.

What sheath do you recommend? I like this one and I think it will fit.

Amazon.com: Kydex Sheath, Blk, Fits 1211/1212/1217/1218/1219/1220/4/1281: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The K-bar is the best knife you can get for the price. I think the cold steel "Tanto" is a better knife but last I checked it was $110, while the K-bar was only $40.

I found my first K-bar on a beach in Spain while on training manuvers. It was very rusty & I almost passed it up (which would have been a BIG mistake) but, I cleaned it up with a little oil (CLP) & a scotch brite pad & it looked almost new. It holds a nice edge & I've personally never seen one break even with idiots throwing them at trees. However, I've heard other guys claim to have broken them.

It's the official fighting knife of the U.S.M.C. so you know it has to be good!

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I have two of them. One that I bought at the base exchange the day I graduated from Parris Island, and the other one that I was issued when I joined EOD. Both have been through a LOT and both are still in great shape after 20+years.

·
Registered
461 Posts
They are decent knives for the money. I have seen a few break though. They have a very small tang. making it very weak where the blade meets the tang. this is where it is going to break 99% of the time. so as long as you dont use it for chopping or hitting the knife with another object then you are ok. so dont use it for firewood etc.

It is a fighting knife and is best suited for fighting. Although these days technology has come a long way and today this knife is very outdated compared to its lighter and stronger counterparts.

This is a great camping knife and i use mine all the time. it holds a great edge and feels great in your hand. it has a nice weight balance and the leather handle has a great feel as well.

Although i would not trust my life to this knife. but that is partially due to the fact i need something with chopping ability. living in Colorado fire wood could mean life or death. But i guess its a little much asking so much out of a knife that was designed for fighting.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I have carried one of these knives for over 50 years and still carry it today. One of the best knives ever made. Takes a razor edge and keeps it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Knife you have is the OKC copy.... KA-BAR is still KA-BAR..

https://www.kabar.com/index.jsp

This is where I get mine... http://www.tomarskabars.com/index.html
The KA-BAR 2221 MARK I is next on my hit list as my general utility. I am active duty with 27 years and my 1st KA-BAR is the Marine Fighter which I have had (and still working like a champ) since 1992. I bought the KA-BAR 5600 POTBELLY just a few months ago and it will be my Bug out knife and for camping and long hikes.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Rick

Point of fact: Ontario only made Kabars under contract during WWII. Kabar is owned by Cutco. Totally separate from Ontario Knife Comp. Both are in NY but they are not related.

Both great knife companies :thumb:

Reactions: rickb223

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Rick

NP problem. I actually know and deal with OKC at multiple MIL trade shows each year. They have great products and Sue is the best rep :thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts