Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say YES!
But first, the game. its free and legal to download as it is abandonware, but the community has kept it alive two decades now. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

It forces you to use your weapon sights and windage.
It gives you options to customize your weapons, and I'll just bet what you carry is in the game!
You have a 50LB load limit.
You must eat and drink, sleep and take care of health issues using a variety of medications.
On occasion, you must make things out of random junk, I never do this, but you can if you're broke!
You have to find work to buy supplies.
You have to hunt.you need a knife to skin and gut it.
Your equipment needs maintenance or it stops working, you can either buy repair and cleaning kits or visit a technician/gunsmith and pay out the nose.
Combat is somewhat realistic, the AI is a bit on the dumb side, they tend to reload in the open, but the ballistics are pretty real-life, If you're not wearing a helmet, a single Makarov shot in the head will likely kill you, it takes three if you have a helmet on. A rifle shot anywhere in the head or torso is fatal at close range, highly damaging past 50 yards, shotguns up close are deadly unless you have NATO or heavy Ukraine body armor, this game goes into so many minute details related to survival, it really makes you think about stuff you do! everything you do has a consequence in this game, including mixing conflicting medicines, you can actually kill yourself mixing pain killers and vodka! the only thing the game missed is taking a trip to the John. So if you want to tweak out your mindset, get some thought fuel and run for your life from radioactive dogs while shooting zombies and giant mutant pigs, give it a shot!

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I would say it does more for mindset and perhaps point of view than doing nothing or starring at your smart phone. We all start somewhere, and if the video game is accurate & realistic like the one the OP described, then it is a step in the right direction.

· Registered
707 Posts
Depends on how close it is to an immersive simulation. I have a game that uses a VR headset and a rifle-controller that lets me actually hold a VR gun to my shoulder and aim down holographic sights on the simulated gun in-game. It probably helps my reflexes. I have full range of motion and view. I doubt it actually teaches me to handle a gun as it has no recoil. It just teaches me how to quickly aim at movement. Its basically virtual paintball or laser tag.

I’m not sure that simulated survival games (of which there are many as the genre has become popular) do much to put a person in a survival mindset unless the person is a total city slicker with no experience living off the land. A person really shouldn’t need to be trained in a game that they need water, shelter, food, and tools.

· Registered
45 Posts
Short answer ...NO. Without the life or death component every time you pull the trigger, whether it’s yours or theirs, makes it at most an immersive game. Always will be. There is no substitute for learning how you function with adrenaline coursing through your veins.

Comparing games to real life situations is a joke for the alderalled millennial/Gen z whatever group

You don’t learn muscle memory or situational awareness sitting behind a screen. And before you get all “drone pilots do it every day” bull crap. They have the threat of court martial and life in Leavenworth if they make a wrong call. So yea. They have the life and death component you don’t get from call of duty 27 or real deer hunter 5

· Vendor
310 Posts
There is no stress or real pressure on video games, I wouldn't say that's 100% useless, but it would be way better to just find a forest nearby and try to survive for a day.

· Registered
94 Posts
No, it doesn't add the stress or real life exertion (yes mindset), there's no do over or save point irl.

You could just grab your favourite multi tool, walk out the front door and try to equip yourself for survival, it'll do more for your mindset and practical skills then any video game.

· Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I don't think so. The mindset is very much a product of reality and stress. There is no 'real' stress in a game....
Sounds fun though....but I don't even want to start, I have no free time as it is.....
Play it on hard mode in the dark. :) there will be stress.

Depends on how close it is to an immersive simulation. I have a game that uses a VR headset and a rifle-controller that lets me actually hold a VR gun to my shoulder and aim down holographic sights on the simulated gun in-game. It probably helps my reflexes. I have full range of motion and view. I doubt it actually teaches me to handle a gun as it has no recoil. It just teaches me how to quickly aim at movement. Its basically virtual paintball or laser tag.

I’m not sure that simulated survival games (of which there are many as the genre has become popular) do much to put a person in a survival mindset unless the person is a total city slicker with no experience living off the land. A person really shouldn’t need to be trained in a game that they need water, shelter, food, and tools.
It makes you think about your resources, manage loadouts, watch your PDA clock for storm warnings, it gives mind sets one can use in real situations and planning.

Short answer ...NO. Without the life or death component every time you pull the trigger, whether it’s yours or theirs, makes it at most an immersive game. Always will be. There is no substitute for learning how you function with adrenaline coursing through your veins.

Comparing games to real life situations is a joke for the alderalled millennial/Gen z whatever group

You don’t learn muscle memory or situational awareness sitting behind a screen. And before you get all “drone pilots do it every day” bull crap. They have the threat of court martial and life in Leavenworth if they make a wrong call. So yea. They have the life and death component you don’t get from call of duty 27 or real deer hunter 5
May I point you to the US Marines who used a modified version of Doom and the US army who used a game of the same name to do pretty much what the game I listed does? if they disagree with you, well? :)

No, it doesn't add the stress or real life exertion (yes mindset), there's no do over or save point irl .
Iron man mode deletes ALL your saves upon dying. :)

Looks like it's 50/50 or there about, just DL it, try it, if you still think it sucks, delete it. it cost nothing but ten minutes to set up. :)

· Registered
104 Posts
I preferred tarkov. Definitely there's stress involved there haha.

Now I'm playing anomaly GAMMA. Probably the best FPS experience I've had so far and loving it. This is the first stalker experience I've done though so have nothing for comparison.

I might pick up pripyat after i finish gamma and give it a go as well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts