Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get newbie / troll posts from time to time - "What's the best gun to shoot 1,500, 1700 or 2,000 yard."

Humans can learn anything pretty much given the time and resources. But somethings are outside the norm.

Could I teach myself to play golf? Set aside why would I want to, but sure I could teach to play golf. Could I teach myself to compete in the Masters - unlikely and realistically impossible. Even the professional golfers have coaches.

Now I have the urge to plop down some cash and have a vacation at one of the long range shooting schools

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
The human mind can be taught any number of things long rang shooting happens to be one of those things.

While it wouldn't be cheap it can be done. Learning a new skill is just like anything else in life you get better by simply doing it. Want to be stronger, get up and go lift weights, want to shoot better, go to a range and shoot.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As mentioned there are tons of schools out there. If you are lucky you may find someone at a local range that has the skill set that is willing to pass it along. There is a metric crap ton of information out there on how to shoot long range with precision dealing with bullet drop, windage and calculating the Coriolis effect.

One of the best training tips I got from an old army sniper I am friends with was to push the limits of my shooting using a .22lr rifle. He stuck me up on a hill shooting rabbits and prarie dogs at 200-400 yards depending on where they were in the little valley. Taught me quite a bit about breathing, trigger control, bullet drop and windage without costing me a crap ton of money. That is of course transferable knowledge to larger calibers you just learn the ballistics of your loads and then you get to wear you are mentally adjusting your aim instead of referring to charts. It also helps a ton with reading the wind because at those ranges a lil 22 gets pushed by not much wind but at the ranges you are talking even a larger caliber will get pushed around by winds you normally may not think much of.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I don't understand why folks don't just answer those "newbie/troll" posts and tell them what kind of rifle if they want to and let others find out for themselves what they can and can't do. If I had listened to some of you guys a while back, I'd still be standing prone in front of a 10 yard paper target. :rolleyes:

Get out there and learn what you want to learn. If you keep pushing the envelope, eventually you will reach the limits of your capabilities and you won't be limiting yourself by what other people think you can do. Just because they can't do it doesn't mean you can't and so what if most people can't? Some people can and do.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I was a shooter since I was a kid. Never had any sort of formal instruction, but I always associated with shooters and picked up advice one little bit at a time. I did lots of competitive shooting, in all kids of different venues.

That was all good and LOTS OF FUN, but I've had 60 years to learn a little bit. I think if I was a beginner today and seeing civilization starting to crumble I would take some sort of formal training, and practice hard, and buy a good arsenal, and learn to reload.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time

3 things you desperately need........

A gun that's capable

A place to shoot

Patience
And lots of money to feed it..........

I used to stay broke when we were shooting 800 yards with the poodle shooter, and that was reloading our own, back when it was far cheaper to reload than to buy ammo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
"....1,500, 1,700, 2,000 yards...."
There's nothing stopping you from shooting at targets that far away.
Hitting those targets is an entirely differant matter.

At 1,500 meters (almost 1,700 yards) a .338LM has a 13% hit percentage in a medium confidence scenario.

If you fire enough shots, eventually you'll hit your target but don't count on any given shot hitting.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,183 Posts
At some point in human history there had to be a first. Since there was no text book on the subject at that time, at least one person has taught himself how to do everything "we" now know how to do.

So the answer to the question "Can a man teach himself extreme long range shooting?" is, without debate, yes.
:thumb: took the words right out of my brain there.
I would start at 25 yards, then 50, and work my way out, adding 25 yards, as I became proficient at each increment.

The key to learning anything is feedback. You need a way of knowing, on each shot, exactly where you hit so you can learn from the process of action to final outcome, to accelerate the learning and muscle-memory process.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your first step in this endeavor should be to read the following:

Accuracy and Precision For Long Range Shooting by Brian Litz

Moder Advancements In Long Range Shooting by Brian Litz

Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting by Brian Litz

Construct a solid foundation of intellectual understanding of the task.
Then get out your check book.

·
Registered
357 Posts
+1 to the poster who said they were trained by an old timer and a .22LR rifle.

I would also add that you should start with iron sights, then go to a scoped rifle. Many people at my local range can't hit the 200 yard gong with Hubbel telescope sized scopes, bipods, ballistic calculators, math computing watches, windmeters and a spotter helping.

These people seem amazed when I hit that gong with an old iron sighted Remington 151 Scoremaster .22LR.

Master the basics, then move that range out a bit, or make the target smaller. People will hit a blank sheet of paper all day, but put a bulls-eye mark on it and they will begin to miss. Because they have mentally failed at that point.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.