Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your plans for security when you sleep? Will you conseal yourself or take shifts, if you have others. Do you have an excape rout?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Would depend on the situation.

We have actually tested our first line of early warning on a couple of occasions by having friends try to " Sneak in on us" and they proved to be very effective!

Baby ~ Chow
Sable ~ Lab
Bubba ~ Pit Bull
Snuggles ~ Mutt

Oddly the meanest one of the bunch is Miss Snuggles!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Our main boL is only 8 mi away. But we have mapped multiple routes, and plans if that becomes comprimised. We will use cover, sentries, and perimmiter "noise makers". We have cans with rocks in them, to electric trip wire fuse ignitors, I'm sure we can come up with a small bang for them.:D:
We also have shotgun shell tripwire traps. these can use any 12 ga shell, like blanks or flares.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for posting this Cpl. I will be BO alone and would be very interested to hear from anyone giving this topic much thought. For me, my only line of defense while I sleep will be my dog, Iris (German Shepherd). Besides that, I'm sure in that sort of situation, I'll be sleeping VERY lightly...

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
I'm talking in a bugout situation. both by yourself and family

If myself and family are alone, then my wife and I would take turns on gaurd duty. I also have battery operated motion sensors to post around the camp. I have four of these in my BO stock. Also I have a new pair of Bushnell Night vision binoculars for night sentry use. After that, if they can't ID themselves as freindly's, they will feel the wrath of 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, .45 acp, and 12 ga rounds hurling their way. Yes, my wife and kids will all be armed.

If I am with my group, more of the same but...... MORE BETTER!

As far as escape.............. well I think its a do or die situation at that point.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
catahola cur --- and my attack cat

Reactions: Maurepas

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is somthing i've been losing sleep over lately, thanks for all the replies.

I wouldent be ably to sleep much in such a situation but it makes it easer to know that you WILL be woken up if the bad guys come.

another problem with dogs is that thy require food an water also. they are nice to have around but thats one or two more bodies to worry about caring for. If your a skilled trainer o have the money and or time to train them you could train them to wak you up without barking.

When i have the money and a house i'll be getting a dog, but righ now its not possible.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
problem with a dog is that they work two ways: he may alert you to approaching bad guys, but he also alerts said bad guys.

If you have a good dog that wouldn't be a problem. They could easily be trained to alert without barking.

And besides, if the "bad guys" are approaching that pretty much means they know where you are dont ya think?

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a good dog that wouldn't be a problem. They could easily be trained to alert without barking.

And besides, if the "bad guys" are approaching that pretty much means they know where you are dont ya think?
Yes that could be but consider this.

Another group is on the move, they have a patrol out in front and there compleatly unaware of your presence util your dog starts barking or being noisy. I agree that a dog is a valuable asset but at the same time, there are too many variables with having one where stealth is the upmost importance.

Instinct trumphs training.

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
Yes that could be but consider this.

Another group is on the move, they have a patrol out in front and there compleatly unaware of your presence util your dog starts barking or being noisy. I agree that a dog is a valuable asset but at the same time, there are too many variables with having one where stealth is the upmost importance.

Instinct trumphs training.
I am a dog lover currently w/o a dog, but I think that the benefits of having a dog outweighs not having one. The big negative is food. But if all you are bringing is 72 hrs worth, the little extra effort will be worth it. A good trained hunting dog will be invaluable.

Consider this scenario, if another group just happens to encounter your location, and they are like you, family buggin out and on the move. Do you team up, or do you say, "have a nice day, now be on your way!"

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a dog lover currently w/o a dog, but I think that the benefits of having a dog outweighs not having one. The big negative is food. But if all you are bringing is 72 hrs worth, the little extra effort will be worth it. A good trained hunting dog will be invaluable.

Consider this scenario, if another group just happens to encounter your location, and they are like you, family buggin out and on the move. Do you team up, or do you say, "have a nice day, now be on your way!"

It depinds on how my first impreassions are and if they have there own foo/gear. If there knowledable people then yes, i'd stay but if there struggling to make it then i'm leaving.

A dog that is well nourshed is compleatly different when he/she is starving or extreamly adgitated. I still think dogs are a great asset but if the S truly HTF then idk if i'd want the extra "baggage".

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts

EXCELLENT SCENARIO. what would YOU do?

There is safety in numbers...if you can trust them
Food...are they refugees...or do they have preps? Do you share?

I guess for me, it would depend on the people, how desperate the actual situation is (panemic, shtf, teotwawki, mini shtf, etc.) and my on hand supplies, my gut instinct, is one of them handicapped, agressive, just an average joe scared and looking to move out of the bad area, etc.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
considering the dog is probably faster, stronger, and healthier than you they can pack their own food. get a doggie pack and load Fi-Fi up :thumb:

I have seen lots of references to motion detection devices, especially in the fic, but very little concrete information. If you have the time I would very much appreciate some links for brands and models. Also, how well do these things work in the rain and wind.

Also, how do they alert? I would think a screaming siren would be worse than a barking dog.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to experiment with door thoughs cheep magnetic door alarms and a trip wire some time.

i'm going to get a few of teh glow stick trip lines to alert me silently, along with some shotgun trip mines that use flares. If at all possible i'd camp on high ground and with some sort of natural back drop, so only have to worry about 180 degrees.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts