Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Far more than a decade ago, was in the bush at an old gold mining camp in CA. Where I found about 200 feet of the pictured hvy duty electrical wire. I cut in about 20ft lengths & have carried a length of it in my camping gear ever since.

Great to string up between 2 trees as a cloths line to dry wet clothing, to air out sleeping bags & blankets. Have tight wired it up high with a come-a-long to securely hold a tarp over my tent many times.

Compact, strong, durable & lightweight.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
You can run it between a couple of tin cans for a cheap phone . I have paracord and a small spool of .032 stainless wire for hanging stuff .I bring a handful of screw eyes to put into trees to run cord between.My brother has kevlar string thats better than paracord in strength and its fireproof.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,685 Posts
Best all around string I've found is Zing-it by Samson.

At 2mm thin it's like heavy kite string in thickness, but it has almost 600lbs in weight capacity because it is made of dyneema.

If it wasn't so thin you could lift people safely with it, but it is more apt to cut you if you try.

It's the thin cousin of Amsteel Blue where cord made the same size at 5/32 paracord has a pull strength of 4000 pounds. Half inch rope of it will pull 17 tons. Heavyweight 1 inch line is used for docking freighters because it holds 50 tons of pull.

Dyneema line isn't cheap. Even the kite string thick stuff costs $30 for a 200' spool.

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Rope-180ft-Average-Strength/dp/B006JS1VNC

·
reluctant sinner
17,515 Posts
On my duece and half I had a 5 mile spool of WD1-TT field wire. I made extension cords 10 stands) so I could run lights and an electric in my tent from the signal rig or the generator trailer. Enough strands braided together makes a field expedient tow cable.

I once saw a tank that was stopped after they sucked enough of it into the drive sprocket. I'll bet that was the last time them boys put a track in the ditch to tear out the commo wire as a joke.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC that is about 5 Ohms per 100 yards.

It can be used as a long blasting cable if you have an exploder with enough Volts.:thumb:
I have a couple miles of dark colored blasting wire in my supplies.
(not to mention the supplies & expertise to use it)

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
The farmers friend is bailing wire. Kind of like the old saw, "if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail." We use it to solve 90% of our fixes. I had a ton of the stuff laying around the place when I bought it. But now since I don't use hay, the supply is getting slim.

But I have a better source of fix it wire now, electric fence wire. NOT the high tensil hard, stiff stuff, but old style "cheap" wire. You can buy a 1/4 mile all nicely rolled on a spool for not much money. Soft like bailing wire so easy to cut and work with, and as a bonus it is galvanized. Instead of the one size fits all bailing wire, I have a smaller dia. wire, and a larger dia. wire than bailing wire so I can better match the wire to the needs of the job.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
That stuff will also make expedient dipole antennas on HF as long as you don't try to run full military power (2Kw) MT63 data through it.

At amateur levels up to 200 watts or so it works great and the twin-lead can be used to make expedient wind-up J-pole antennas for 2 meters or UHF.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That stuff will also make expedient dipole antennas on HF as long as you don't try to run full military power (2Kw) MT63 data through it.

At amateur levels up to 200 watts or so it works great and the twin-lead can be used to make expedient wind-up J-pole antennas for 2 meters or UHF.
Are you referring to WD1-TT field wire?
If so, that's GOOD TO KNOW

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
FIELD MANUAL No. 24-20
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARNMY
WASHI[N]GTON 25, D. C., 17 May 1956 FIELD-WIRE TECHNIQUES

A little dated but lots of good info on splicing, using 'seizing' wire, etc.

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM24-20(56).pdf
The manual may be old, but the info in it would probably be as good as or better than newer info, because the military used wire much more years ago than they do today.

It's surprising how fast skills disappear in the military if they aren't used anymore. When I was in Nam, the arty guys could swing their guns in 360 degrees in minutes. A few years later I was in a artillery guard unit and they were trying to relearn how that was done. I wasn't much help because I was infantry in Nam and didn't pay much attention to details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts