Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids wanted to take me camping for Father's Day weekend, so I obliged.

My oldest (18) and I have been camping quite a bit, first overnight trip out with the little ones though (daughter, 8 and son, 6). Got in some fishing, kids got to experience tent-camping, food prep at the campsite, getting water from the lake with my Katadyn Pocket, all that good stuff.

Had a heckuva storm hit us Friday night. Radio was stating 60mph winds and quarter-sized hail so we packed up the tent and sat in the Jeep for a bit while it blew through. Good thing too, because there were 60mph winds and quarter-sized hail!

Saturday morning my youngest boy caught a roughly 2.5lb largemouth with a nightcrawler on a bobber, nailed it just as he was reeling in. Awesome! Daughter and I caught a couple small bluegills. No luck on the catfish this trip. Still made for a tasty dinner that night!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
that sounds like a great time out, something your kids will remember for the rest of their lives, and when they grow up, they will (hopefully) want to do the same for their kids. the states needs more parents like you. keep at it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It's great fun now that the little ones are a bit older. We have taken them out for day trips to the lake before, but 3 & 5 year olds bore quickly, tend to get cranky in the heat, don't have much patience for fishing, enjoying the great outdoors, etc. Now that they're big enough to help with things around the campsite, it's alot more fun.

My 8-year-old daughter caught on to casting RIGHT away, baits her own hook and everything. Always has been a bit of a tomboy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts