Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to the Adirondacks next week for some primitive camping w/ 2 of my buddies. We all have experience, some more than others, but not together.
I grew up in a family that would always have a firearm in their pack especially when primitive camping, and was planning to bring my G17 or Ruger Sp101 until we had our pre-trip meeting the other day. The member of our party who is driving us in, is worried about having a firearm in his vehicle, or on our person if we are approached by law enforcement (I can understand his hesitation). I guess it has just never been that big a deal to me so I wouldn't think twice. Even if I did get pulled over or bumped into a cop or ranger, I would just speak to them like normal, they have never had a reason to search me in the past.
The 3rd member of our party has been pretty vocal about wanting at least one firearm w/ us, but he does not own one himself, so that leaves me...

Should I just leave it at home and expect the best?
Should I bring a CCW and not speak of it?
Or, should I attempt to confront the driver and discuss for a third time? (He's pretty set in his ways)

I guess its not a huge deal to me, but I would like some opinions from those of you who do, and don't equip a firearm while out in the wild...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
What prepperintraing said, or IF your state, or surrounding states allow for firearm transportation/carry in these areas show it to your buddy in writing and prove to him you aren't breaking any laws. Research the laws before you do anything. If he is one of these types that is antigun, paranoid about LEO's, or is just afraid of guns period, then no arguement will convince him.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Adirondacks State Park in NY?

New York does not recognize Pennsylvania LTCF.

Firearms in vehicles or in State parks is not permitted... even a slingshot is against the regulations!

Here are the regs on page 14:
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/publications/documents/NYSParksRulesRegulations.pdf

(p) Firearms and weapons.
(1)
Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2) of this subdivision,
no person, other than a member of a Federal, State or municipal law enforcement agency, shall introduce or possess, either upon the person or within a vehicle, or use any firearm or any instrument or weapon the propelling force of which is a spring, rubber or air or any ammunition or propellant therefor, or a bow and arrow, except for hunting where permitted
by a rule or regulation of a regional park, recreation and historic preservation commission or pursuant to a permit issued according to the provisions of section 376.1(r)* of this Title.

If not in the State Park, you are still not allowed to carry firearms into New York:
http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

Your friend seems in the right here. Especially if he is driving, he can be the one in trouble also. Looks like leave it home is the legal thing to do. I would follow the laws of the State you are visiting. You can wind up in bug trouble and loose your LTCF if you break these regulations in another state.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have a CCW permit that is valid in the state(s) you are traveling through and to, I'd bring it and not mention it. There are mountain lions and bobcats up here and while they are not likely to attack a group of full grown men you never know. You could also encounter black bear as well, not that a handgun will do much except make a lot of noise and tick it off unless you get a lucky kill shot.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Your PA CCW is not recognized in NY. NY has a MANDATORY 1 year sentence for unlicensed pistol.

Just so you go into the situation with open eyes...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*EDIT:

Thanks guys, you have definitely answered my question here. He does have the right train of thought, my bull headed thought process can typically justify anything as being right in my own mind. But I am starting to come around, 1 year ago I wouldn't even be asking the question. Plus, I can handle myself in most situations...but Bubba is a situation I would prefer to stay away from. Lol

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
If you're not legal, and your friend doesn't want it in his car, then I agree with him. He's responsible and could potentially do jail time for your actions.

If you are legal, point that out to your friend. If that does no good, then consider how important either the pistol or your friendship is.

I just looked at a summary of NY state firearm laws over on handgunlaw.us. I wouldn't mess with carrying in NY unless you have a NYS permit and a very good grasp of their confusing and varying laws by county. And it looks like firearms are illegal in the Adirondacks regardless of licensing anyway.

Get some bear spray and be done with it.

Az

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
In all honesty, I go no where unarmed and if I have to choose between doing so, or not participating in the trip, then I won't go. What good is having a license to carry if you don't do so? Leaving your gun at home sure isn't going to do you any good if a situation arises where you really need it. I'd find a better place to camp.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I am in legal possession of my firearms as well as properly licensed for CCW, so that is not a concern of mine. He is aware of this.
Your CCW is not valid in NY, unless you have a NY state permit. They do not honor any other state's permits.

Az

·
Banned
468 Posts
My .02 is that I would find a new buddy to camp/prep with. Then I would also find places that I could camp and carry my handgun. I had a wife that didn't like me packing my handgun all the time. She put her foot down one day and I just drove away.:thumb: worked for me.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
I am heading up to the Adirondacks next week for some primitive camping w/ 2 of my buddies. We all have experience, some more than others, but not together.
I grew up in a family that would always have a firearm in their pack especially when primitive camping, and was planning to bring my G17 or Ruger Sp101 until we had our pre-trip meeting the other day. The member of our party who is driving us in, is worried about having a firearm in his vehicle, or on our person if we are approached by law enforcement (I can understand his hesitation). I guess it has just never been that big a deal to me so I wouldn't think twice. Even if I did get pulled over or bumped into a cop or ranger, I would just speak to them like normal, they have never had a reason to search me in the past.
The 3rd member of our party has been pretty vocal about wanting at least one firearm w/ us, but he does not own one himself, so that leaves me...

Should I just leave it at home and expect the best?
Should I bring a CCW and not speak of it?
Or, should I attempt to confront the driver and discuss for a third time? (He's pretty set in his ways)

I guess its not a huge deal to me, but I would like some opinions from those of you who do, and don't equip a firearm while out in the wild...
Go instead, southwest until you see a sign that says Welcome to West Virginia. Continue South, and camp at Dolly Sods Wilderness area, you'll like it and can carry with a PA CCW permit, or open carry.:thumb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, camp in a state that recognizes your CCL.

This should alleviate your buddie's issues with legality.

If those two can't be worked out, find another camping buddy.

At least that's what I would do.
My state, PA, has some great spots to hit the trails and go camping, but my buddy has put this trip together to show us a spot that his family has been going to for generations. I respect his opinion, and will put my own personal preferences aside. Damn you laws! :D:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go instead, southwest until you see a sign that says Welcome to West Virginia. Continue South, and camp at Dolly Sods Wilderness area, you'll like it and can carry with a PA CCW permit, or open carry.:thumb:
I have been to WV a couple times camping, beautiful country there. I will certainly look into Dolly Sods Wilderness area, I want to take a couple more trips this summer and I think you have just provided me with one of them. Thanks for the info on CCW into WV as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't get it. I have never felt like I needed a gun while in the wilderness. The times I have felt like I needed to be armed have always been in "civilization." I go into the woods to feel comfortable, and escape. The day the woods make me paranoid is the day I stop going into them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What do you think you may run into that would require a firearm? Grab some bear mace and be legal if its an animal threats you may have. As Rick mentioned packing handgun while in civilization makes more sense these days. I dont think you plan on eating rabbits and squirrels so I can't imagine the need of it for a hunting necessity.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I don't get it. I have never felt like I needed a gun while in the wilderness. The times I have felt like I needed to be armed have always been in "civilization." I go into the woods to feel comfortable, and escape. The day the woods make me paranoid is the day I stop going into them.
Why would it be only for self-defense? Other purposes include signaling, to procure food, deterrents for nuisance animals. And how about on your way to the woods. I am sure you have to run across "civilization" then right?

... As Rick mentioned packing handgun while in civilization makes more sense these days. I dont think you plan on eating rabbits and squirrels so I can't imagine the need of it for a hunting necessity.
As I just mentioned above, there are more uses for firearms than just defense. And you have to drive to your camping spots right? You have to deal with civilization on the way. Just going to leave your firearm in the car for a few weeks? As far as hunting, you may not plan on eating or hunting small animals, but you may. That is the point. I once lost most of my food on a trip due to a fire. I sure wish I was packing a .22 that day instead of wasting all that time catching fish.

Personally, I feel responses like these only show how far indoctrinate some people have that firearms are only weapons. Instead of the tools they really are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your other uses for a firearm are true and valid, but you have to agree that there are many other ways of signaling and procuring food. For nuisance animals, I would just move to another location. If they are a nuisance, chances are you are in their front yard, or on top of their home. And as for on my way to the woods, I can't speak for everyone, but I don't live urban anymore. I tend to stay away from problem areas as they have nothing I need anyways. I'm sure many people can use the same strategy, and as for those who can't, I hope you eventually get the hell out of there, and away from all that crap.

Good points, though.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts