Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were going to camp, how would you prepare.

How would you deal with contingencies such as minor flooding?

How many of you like to camp?

I haven't camped since my encounters with the VietCong. I'm thinking of giving it a shot again and would like any pointers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well preparation has a lot to do with what type of camping are you going to do? Regardless, I categorize my items based on shelter, clothing, and food. I've never had flooding, but we have had down pour while camping and almost completely soaked through our covers. But dealing with the rain is not as extreme as dealing with a flood so I don't know how to answer that. I try to get out at least once a month with the wife and kids. They seem to enjoy that as much as I do.

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Practice at home using your camping gear. Set up and take down the tent a few times. Get the hang of setting up and lighting your camping stove. Cook a few meals using it and your camping cookset. Wear your loaded pack around the house for a while each day to get it adjusted for perfect fit. Try various packing layouts in the pack. Get a topo map of the area and study it, planning your route ahead of time and noting any possible hazards and particularly good places to stop. Use your water treatment method so you can use it effectively in the wild.

Make sure you have a NOAA All hazards radio, preferably wind up and check it often fo the possibility of bad weather in your camping area. You will get warnings if flood conditions exist.

I love to camp, especially wilderness camping and winter camping. Just don't do it much any more due to my health.

If you're on a hiking trip and not just setting up a camp for a few day's stay, start looking for your campsite early. Getting a good camp site and a good rest will let you put the miles on the trail the next day that a late camp, hurried meal, and bad sleep, than the extra mile or two you get when pushing on late into the evening.

Mostly, take your time, and have more food than you believe you could possibly use in the time frame of the trip. Take extra socks. Take a good book or two to read or something else to keep you occupied during periods where you can't or don't want to travel due to weather of just a lazy day.

Hope this helps.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Seriously, why are people humoring this guy? A teenager that buys condoms to impress the hot chick then throws them out, has a fascination with FLOODING, and claims to camp with Vietcong...
I will only post once to warn people who haven't read every other post by guns-n-jesus, but I suggest reading all the threads he started before wasting time answering his questions. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seriously, why are people humoring this guy? A teenager that buys condoms to impress the hot chick then throws them out, has a fascination with FLOODING, and claims to camp with Vietcong...
I will only post once to warn people who haven't read every other post by guns-n-jesus, but I suggest reading all the threads he started before wasting time answering his questions. Thanks for listening.
Tell me about it. What is it with this guy and "minor flooding"? It's like that Monty Python skit where John Cleese is teaching a self-defense class and will only cover situations where the bad guy is armed with a banana.

Of all the possible disasters and threats to society, minor flooding is pretty much at the bottom of the list.

Maybe I should start giving tips on how to survive a light afternoon shower.

·
Adaptable.
1,979 Posts
if I could post pictures from my phone I would show you pictures of how to identify flood areas, but basically look for bush piles in low tree limbs.

As for how to camp, you could just fill your pockets with granola bars and go sleep under a tree, I've done it and enjoyed it...

-g

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't camped since my encounters with the VietCong.
Hey Guns-n-jesus, Let me know when you go, I dont want to be camping over the nexted grid line, Also How can you say you were around VeitCong when your profile says your younger than me and I was 7 when veitnam was going on,

Take care and prepare Ray and Maria

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guns-n-jesus, Let me know when you go, I dont want to be camping over the nexted grid line, Also How can you say you were around VeitCong when your profile says your younger than me and I was 7 when veitnam was going on,

Take care and prepare Ray and Maria
My second wife and I were missionaries in Vietnam during the 80's. I spent a few days with them. With the help of God, we were able to save a few souls.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if I could post pictures from my phone I would show you pictures of how to identify flood areas, but basically look for bush piles in low tree limbs.

As for how to camp, you could just fill your pockets with granola bars and go sleep under a tree, I've done it and enjoyed it...

-g
that's a good strategy. however, i've found that pretty much any area is susceptible to minor flooding. it's a real danger that's often overlooked.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We each have our own interests & hobbies. Just because you find mine to be odd doesn't mean I don't have anything to contribute. Feel free to look at my other posts & you will see that I have made a great contribution to these boards.

I have a wealth of knowledge to share. You are a fool for not following Jesus and not having the strength to respect our differences.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
Of all the possible disasters and threats to society, minor flooding is pretty much at the bottom of the lis
not true, on the history channel the other day, they were talking about Katrina and they said the Sacramento river valley was the most likely place for a flood to happen next due to our old and failing levees. i live about 4.5 mi from the river so this is a real concern for me. and while GandJs bible thumping is getting old, he seems to know a lot.

i think he just need to tone it down.

T

·
Registered
205 Posts
not true, on the history channel the other day, they were talking about Katrina and they said the Sacramento river valley was the most likely place for a flood to happen next due to our old and failing levees. i live about 4.5 mi from the river so this is a real concern for me. and while GandJs bible thumping is getting old, he seems to know a lot.

i think he just need to tone it down.

T
I'm not saying it's not something to worry about, but compared to major flooding (which he claimed was less dangerous), forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, civil disturbances, and the like, minor flooding is pretty...minor.

Unless you are taking into account the likelihood of each type of disaster as well as its seriousness. In which case minor flooding is not as serious, but more likely to occur

·
Registered
346 Posts
;)
If you were going to camp, how would you prepare.

How would you deal with contingencies such as minor flooding?

How many of you like to camp?

I haven't camped since my encounters with the VietCong. I'm thinking of giving it a shot again and would like any pointers.
You can tel it is getting close to the holidays cause the fruitcakes start showing up and in drag apparently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ye best to practice at home first then go somewhere easy where you can pack up and go home if something goes wrong after a time or two you should be ready for harder things. But an ex-soldier things will come back fast and roughing it shouldn’t be a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts