Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Southern Man
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping around online for some new camping stoves and lanterns. My old Colemans are just worn out. I see a couple of brands - Texsport and Stansport. Does anyone have experience with either of these, particularly the propane models? Or should I stay with Coleman? Seems like everything these days is made in China.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Honestly,Texsport, Coleman, Stansport etc probably have most of their stuff made from the same factories just different brandings.

That being said, they are all about the similar quality. That being said, I would probably stick with coleman since it is the most popular and easiest to get replacement parts/ canisters etc for.

The nice thing also is that so many of their equiptment uses the same tanks now.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
What is worn out on the colemans? Most you can fix and nothing else keep an eye on yard sales or craigslist...
As this poster has pointed out, most Coleman pieces of equipment have replacement parts. And there are differing qualities of Coleman products. Bargains are to had picking up Coleman equipment at yard sales and flea markets. By sticking to that brand name, spare parts from cannibalized units will be unlimited.

You might look here and determine if your equipment is repairable.

I like most of the better Coleman products. I do have a concern about fuel sources. Coleman or White Gas / Naphtha will be stripped from store shelves as fast as bread, milk and toilet paper should a crisis develop. On the flip side of that concern, I have found that a gallon of white gas goes a long ways if some prudence is used. I lean towards the multi fuel products so that I have a few more options regarding fuel. The down side to this approach is that many fuels contain additives that can be deadly.

·
Newb
57 Posts
agreed, coleman is where its at just because of parts availability and ability to be easily field repaired.

coleman fuel is available in just about every wal-mart, bait shop and gas stop in ky/tn. i like the newer dual fuel versions but don't be fooled....the older ones can be ran on gasoline as-is without much issue. also, they can be retrofitted to run off propane if you prefer via an attachment. remember though, running a propane appliance in very cold weather can be problematic. luckily, the attachment can be unattached ;)

i like using coleman fuel just because of the smell. growing up camping, it is a very nostalgic/comforting smell for me. i have been stocking up on coleman fuel becasue it has dropped from $10/gallon to $6/gallon locally over the past year. shelf life must be ok because i recently got a 10+ yr old can that i ran through a lantern without issue.

ebay is an excellent place to find old coleman stoves for cheap. i got my 76 2 burner for $1 (nevermind that it cost $19 to ship).

however, for more of a compact/light backpacking stove....it is hard to beat the msr whisperlite. i have had and regularly used mine for 12 years. this thing is a blast furnace ;)

Amazon.com: MSR Whisperlite Liquid-Fuel Stove: Sports & Outdoors

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
I have a texport single burner propane stove (at least I "think" its a texsport). Its about 15 years old and still going strong.

There is not much that can break on those stoves. Unless you bend or break the nipple off that goes into the propane bottle.

·
Southern Man
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an opportunity to choose one of two back packing stoves for FREE(redeemable points from a contest). Which one would you choose, the lightest weight(MSR Pocket Rocket) or the liquid fuel more substantial unit(MSR Whisperlite)? I'll be using it for backpacking trips 3-5 day duration.

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
I have the MSR XGK with Sparker. The worst investment I ever made! The thing sounds like a jet fighter coming in for an attack! LOL I really like my little Vargo stove though - Excellent for hiking or a BOB. But, for camp out cooking like hash browns and bacon, its not the one.

I have a Colman propane lantern I really like. Very reliable.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
I'm lovin' the self powered wind up lanterns, they never run out of gas. I have a little MSR stove and it's nice, but I never pack it as I can just cook with the material mamma N provides around here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Uwharrie

The pocketrocket is pretty sweet if you are looking to go lightweight. The only downside i've found with stoves that mount to the top of the fuel canister is that they can be tricky to balance on uneven ground or rocks. You have to seat it just right, and they tend to be "top heavy" when placing a wide or tall pot on it. MSR sells a Trillium Stove Base that has fans that spread out to help stabilize it.

I personally use a Primus stove that has its own base and attaches to the fuel cannister remotely (like the whisperlite) its a bit more heavy (maybe 1lb), but i can drop it down anywhere.

Something to think about, if you havent already bought it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any opinion on the Coleman exponent Multi-fuel Stove? ( Coleman Fuel, Unleaded gas, or Kerosene.) Thinking of getting one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think you should look at how you want to use your stove to base your decision on. Most important is do you plan to use a windscreen on it. If you do, you will eliminate a few from the list. Are you using it at altitude? What kind of fuel do you want to use? I am sort of a nut on camp stoves. I currently have,
1. Brunton Talon - butane canister stove.
2. Jetboil - butane canister
3. MSR Whisperlight International - Multi fuel
4. MSR Dragonfly - Multi fuel
5. Trangia Swedish Stove with mess kit - Alcohol
6. Coleman 533 Dual Fuel
7. Coleman 413 dual burner stove
8. Esbit stove
9. Brunton Raptor with remote canister stand - Butane fuel

Each has its strengths and weeknesses. They are all good and solid stoves. There are other companies that produce quality stoves so look around and buy what you want or need. Good Luck.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts