Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually go to Myrtle Beach every Summer for a week or so. This year I was thinking about bringing along a tent and maybe trying to stay a night or two on the beach. I understand that they have the state park campground and pirate land, but I would like to set up my tent in a less populated portion of the beach above high tide (free). The problem I have is that I think it is illegal. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this on a semi populated beach and gotten away with it, and some tips you can give on the subject.

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
MBSP will be crawling with tourons in summer. You might be one yourself, I don't know. It's guaranteed to be hot, buggy, and loud (many reasons). I've camped there in the spring many years ago on a Cub Scout camping trip. Not on the beach though, about 200yards away. Bring a rod if you like to fish.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Been there quite a few times. You might make it for a little while before the beach police come by in their ATVs and boot you out.....good luck.

They like people to come and spend money there, people that don't? not so much.

IF you were back in the dunes with a bivy you might have a chance......but where would you park yer car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have four wheel drive you can camp on Carolina Beach for 20.00 a night. It's called Freeman Park. great fishing and crabbing on the north side oin the inlet. big reds and flounder

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Also, went to Padre Island beach a couple years ago. Camp whever you like there, build a huge fire, drink, fish, swim but leave yer metal detector home!

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I camped Newport, OR beach the weekend before last. Most of the homeless I know stay there. Over here it's technically illegal, but hardly enforced. :thumb:

·
Mr. Green Thumb
877 Posts
Would love to camp my way down one coast and then back up the other. Have spent some time in Cabo and Todos Santos but thats it. Would like to know more about it.

I enjoy out of the way locations, and usually take a 5-6 week trip annually.
I use my trusty 3/4 ton van with a 14 foot aluminum boat loaded on the roof.
The rig is lifted three inches to accommodate larger tires.
I've run most of the peninsula, and fished mostly inshore on the boat and from the beach/rocks/jetties/etc that I could.

On the gulf side, I'd say anywhere near/at Santa Rosalia is heaven.
During the tuna runs, you can hook up from shore...blue water fish inshore!

On the pacific side there are a lot of super places to hook up.
The peak near Guerrero ***** is a remote hot spot for inshore fishing.
The islands nearby are also prime for hooking up. It's common to see the US sport-fishing boats from San Diego stopping there.

Lots of gear to haul (you bring it or you don't have it region), with plenty of coolers being on top of the list.
Load up on block ice every chance you get.
Seal the lids with grey tape for extra ice life.
I'm going through the list for an upcoming trip in June.
I can't wait.

·
A bad, bad man
215 Posts
I remember walking north past the main strip (stayed at the Roxanne) and finding public inlets to the beach used by the locals. Even during the day it wasn't very populated, at night virtually empty. The main area has too many late night revelers to go unnoticed. And with the bottle rockets going off in that area the fuzz are bound to come. Keep your beer bottles covered and watch for reef sharks. But thats a different story...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts