Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my son and I headed down the Angelina River (which goes between Sam Rayburn and Steinhagen reservoirs). The Army Corp. of Engineers has designated primitive camping spots setup.

If you put in at Bevel Port (Farm to Market Road 2799), and head south, you start running into the camping spots strung along the river. The first spot is maybe a mile or 2 just below the boat launch.

This video covers a few of the camping areas, and what they look like.

With a lot of the camping spots we looked at, there was garbage here and there. One spot had a bunch of cans in the camp fire, and a few beer bottles here and there. One good thing, I did not see any broken glass.

The first spot Korey and I looked at had some nice flat places for tents. And, there was a slew 150 - 200 feet from the camping spot. Those "slews" are where fish go to get out of the moving water of the river. The bad thing, their a breeding ground for mosquitos.

Here in southeast texas we have an aggressive breed of mosquito that was imported from asia by accident. Their called the "tiger mosquito". From what I understand, the tiger mosquito likes to lay its eggs in non-moving water, such as ditches, bird bathes, old tires,,,, and I figure the slews fit that bill pretty good.

Before my kids and I can go camping on the river, I need to outfit them with some one man tents. We have usually gone camping in the woods, near moving creeks. The mosquito population is usually keep in check by minnows, and the moving water. But around slews, rivers and bayous, that is a different story.

One of the most miserable nights sleep I ever got on a camping trip was along the marsh between Bridge City and Port Arthur, Texas. My buddies and I had a tent setup, but we slept outside. Even though I had covered my body with mosquito repellent, the bugs still "buzzed" my ears all night long.

I'am planning on taking the kids on the camping trip sometime in March, maybe when they are out for spring break.

One of the things I'am looking forward to, is the fishing while we are there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks SO MUCH for posting this video!

A group of us plan on kayaking & camping there this weekend. Nice to see a preview of the campsites we'll have and the river we'll be paddling to get there.

I'll let you know how it goes. And we'll leave some fish for you.
(But we won't leave a pan for you since there is already one at the other site...)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
2 of my worst camping experiences were (1) Caddo Lake in June and (2) Port Aransas in September.

One year my Father decided to hit all the major East Texas campsites. Most were fine, except for Caddo Lake - we spent one night and then bugged out the next morning due to the mosquitoes. And that was before the tiger mozzies arrived.

A few years later I decided to go to Aransas Pass for the Special Season Deer/Pig Bowhunt. Same thing, the mozzies were so bad it was difficult to enjoy any of the hunt, so I left the next day. Gotta hand it to the Caddo and Karankawa Indians, I don't know how they did it before DEET.

I will say DEET works, I used it working in the Tundra above the arctic circle in the summer and like Kev said, the mozzies would buzz all around you, but would not light on you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping all that cold weather would have killed off the skeeters, but I swatted a big one tonight at Memorial Park in Houston.

Once kayak fishing in the marsh off Galveston I had been bitten so much I finally went to the doctor MISERABLE. They seemed to think the DEET was butter...

When I went to Caddo Lake, I stayed in some really nice houses called Spatterdock. Dottie & her husband (can't remember his name) did all the painting and carpentry. Really nice places.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On July 16, 2010 my son, step-son and I headed to the angelina river for a camping trip. The site we got is called "angelina 1" - its close to the forks of the rivers, where the angelina and the neches come together.

We launched the boat at Bevilport, then headed south for about 5 miles.

The fishing was good, but the heat was terrible. Even though we had the river to go swimming in, that did not help the night time heat any. We saw a gator crossing the river and an armadillo. Around midnight, several armadillos came into the camp site - I think they were looking for the worms we had used for fishing.

Mosquitos were terrible - as usual.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cool video. Excellent pictures. May I ask what kind of camera?

What were you catching white bass,catfish,bass, crappie,bream?

Have you tried the Thermacell repellent system? I have no experience but have read and been told firsthand that it really works.

I live in East Texas,too and I know the misery of heat, humidity and mosquitoes (spent alot of hot afternoons on the Sabine river) but your video sure makes the Angelina look appealing.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The camera used in this video is a canon D10 point and shoot.

We were mostly catching catfish and a few sun perch

I have never tried Thermacell repellent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts