Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make sure you top off your gas tank.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8714065/Oregon-family-runs-gas-fleeing-fast-spreading-wildfires-camping-trip.html

"Terrifying moment Oregon family runs out of gas while fleeing fast-spreading wildfires during camping trip - as flames lick side of their car

Allison Hargett, her husband Tyler and their six-year-old daughter Lilly went camping at Detroit Lake State Park on Labor Day

They received an order to evacuate at about 1am Tuesday as the Beachie Creek Fire encroached on their campgrounds

The family made it about 20 miles before their car ran out of gas

Thankfully their friends were on the road in front of them and took them home.

Allison filmed several videos from the car which showed the forest enveloped by an eerie orange glow as flames consumed trees and embers fell from the sky."

Attachments

·
Criminitly!
560 Posts
I'm from Indiana, we don't really have many forest fires. That being said, if I knew a fire was within 50 miles of camping, I'd like to believe I would cancel. I would rather not leave my life to chance. I know sucking up that $100 for the weekend kills the scrooge in me but, at least I'd live to scrooge again!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I bet next labor day week end instead of going camping they decide to back yard barbecue.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
They made it 20 miles..thats about 1 gallon of gas or less in any vehicle..kinda bad idea under ideal conditions,let alone remote camping.
Yes,i'm not perfect.my gas warning light has come on before,but that gives me about 50 miles/2 gallons reserve.

·
SoJer
2,973 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does.
..Yeah, just.. How the Heck do ya go "camping" - in a wild-area 'dense enough' to Produce a life-threatening fire - withOut at Least a 2.5 gal (if not 5g) Jerry-can, in-tow, somehow?? :confused:

..Glad they didn't have to burn to death to 'learn a lesson', but.. <smdh> :rolleyes:

jd

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I can't get over the gasoline thing. 20 miles???

I wouldn't enter a Wal-mart parking lot with that little gas let alone the middle of the woods on a camp-out.

But then again I nag the wife If she lets the gauge go below half, so maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just something to keep in mind with the 20 mile confusion. If they got notified at 1am and got their stuff ready and left and the video is taken in what we call daylight now, it wasnt 20 minutes later. The roads to Detroit lake are generally 2 way highways and as people know when people evacuate, it isnt open hwy. I would imagine it was 20 miles in traffic.
If I remember right these fires started and spread rather quickly, it might not have been burning when they arrived. They are lucky to have gotten out.

I dont think it was a smart idea to go nut I can;t judge them too much without knowing everything

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So I've been saying this line way to much lately. I'm not sure where I picked it up, but it's really become the perfect go to recently...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Just something to keep in mind with the 20 mile confusion. If they got notified at 1am and got their stuff ready and left and the video is taken in what we call daylight now, it wasnt 20 minutes later. The roads to Detroit lake are generally 2 way highways and as people know when people evacuate, it isnt open hwy. I would imagine it was 20 miles in traffic.
If I remember right these fires started and spread rather quickly, it might not have been burning when they arrived. They are lucky to have gotten out.

I dont think it was a smart idea to go nut I can;t judge them too much without knowing everything
How far does a person normally have to move to evacuate from a forest fire out west? Forest fires aren't really a thing here but when they do happen if you move 1/4 mile you are probably safe from it.

Is there chance they moved a few miles then figured they were safe and then had to move again? That would explained the difference between 1 am and daylight. It doesn't explain why they had so little fuel.

·
Banned
11,365 Posts
THIS ONE was running just about a mile from me. Thank heavens for clear cutting.
KALIFORICATE..LEARN SOMETHING...
Too late for Oregon, they Kalifornicated that great state into a crap hole already.

You mean....Don't vote Democrat, don't allow people to build in areas that burn every 15-20 years or on beaches or sea cliffs that erode and fall into the ocean, and don't let the granola eaters have an inch?

Got it.

How far does a person normally have to move to evacuate from a forest fire out west? Forest fires aren't really a thing here but when they do happen if you move 1/4 mile you are probably safe from it.

Is there chance they moved a few miles then figured they were safe and then had to move again? That would explained the difference between 1 am and daylight. It doesn't explain why they had so little fuel.
Wild fires, of both the forest or grass type, can move faster than most people think. 9-10 mph is a fast one...but in some conditions, they can move MUCH faster for short distances. But unless you are on foot, you "should" be able to outrun it.

The real danger is when they cut off travel routes. While you're driving 5 miles around the hill, the fire is traveling 1 mile straight, with wind blowing hot spots a half mile (or more) ahead of the main fire.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,261 Posts
Sounds like the next Blues Brothers Movie.

We are in the middle of a forest fire, we have 1 gallon of gas, it's night time, and we are wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Fire spread depends on weather and terrain. i have driven thru fire zone with trees burning within 25 yards. Dry but no wind and no steep slope. Felt perfectly safe though that could have changed real fast if a wind came up. Not some place to camp.

·
Registered
448 Posts
huh?

Sort of like camping in Beruit. No thanks .Fires can turn real quick and outrun you vehicle .
Never been to Lebanon? It IS beautiful, with many amazing camping areas including near Beruit. Hiking, camping, skiing, a place where you can spend the morning snow skiing and the afternoon swimming on the beach? Political idiocy aside there is a reason that people have lived in the area for thousands of years... but I understand your intent in the post LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts