Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting set up for a 2-3 night camping trip with the wife and our dog. Got a good list of items but want to make sure we got everything.

Tent
Sleeping bags
Small stove
Stove fuel
Axe
Leatherman
MREs
Canned foods/easy to cook foods
Assorted medical supplies (band-aids, antibiotic ointment, splints, etc.)
Red Cross/NOAA rechargeable radio
Spair sox/clothing
Mess kits/untesils
Bic lighters
Vaseline
Cotton/dryer lint (sealed in water tight container)
Matches (sealed in water tight container)
1L water bladder (one for each of us)
2 1L bottle water
4 16oz bottle water
Local maps
Flashlights and batteries
Paracord
Climbing rope
Poncho/Gumby Suit
MOD MkV fixed blade
Whistle

Still gotta pick up a couple things I'm sure but any suggetions would be good. It's not a completely sealed camping area, can drive up to where the tent will likely be, but I don't know if there's accessable water source that's ready for consumption. Gotta get a filter or water treatment cause boiling takes awhile but worst case I can. It's more a hiking trip than remote camping trip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot, dog has a pack and will be carrying all his own stuff. Food, water, flexable dishes, all that.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Sounds like a great list.

Maybe a lantern..?

dont forget footprint for tent, and sleeping pad for sleeping bag if u need to be off the ground.

Bring Camera!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by footprint for the tent?
Not too worried about the lantern, the radio has a light and all that for it plus we use Maglights that can be unscrewed for little lights and candles if need be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kitchen sink

Just kidding. Sounds like a good list. If you can drive up to the campsite, why not just throw a 5 gallon water container in the car. Then you can refill at will. Some moleskin in your firstaid kit if you're doing a lot of hiking. I think Chaplain means tarp for the ground under the tent. Oh, and bring your cellphone if there's any chance of getting reception in an emergency.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, that makes sense. The tent has a reenforced floor so probably won't need a tarp but a good idea to throw one in the car just in case. If nothing else we can make it an extra rain cover. We always have our cells, part of our EDC which would go with us. Plus that little radio has a cell phone charger function. This is the radio. http://www.amazon.com/American-ARCFR160R-Microlink-Self-Powered-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311147423&sr=8-1 :thumb:

Good call on the water container also, what would you suggest for a container?

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
You said flashlight i recommend a headlamp for each you can get decent ones at Walmart great for night they illuminate what your looking at but leave your hands free. Helpful for late night bathroom trips

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
for water I say skip separate container since you have your car go to the store and buy the big 5 gallon jugs with the nozzle on them for cheap.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Hiking or car camping?

For car camping:
Bring a folding shovel - E tool.
Lots of uses around camp and around the fire.

I'm constantly using my dad's old Army issue one to adjust the fire:

I bring my own water in 3 of those blue aquatainers sold at Wally World.

A plastic wash tub, dish soap, and rags are nice for doing the dishes.

A good size plastic tarp and 550 cord can save a trip if you get a lot of rain.

For food, the 1st time I went car camping, I over did it.
Try to plan what you are going to eat. I've found those Mountain House packets are great for the 1st night. After setting up camp, just boil some water and add it to the packet.

Once you are settled it's time to cook on the fire. Bacon and eggs (bought from a local farmer) in a skillet on the fire in the morning. Steaks or hotdogs over the fire at night.

In the morning I like to boil up a pot of hot water for coffee. Then I use a French Coffee press like this:
http://tinyurl.com/3lopsb9

As you can see for car camping I bring a decent amount of gear. I keep all of it in 2 big trunks.

Picture of some of my setup from an odd camping trip. Spent 3 nights in a Tree house :xeye:

You can see my Aquatainers, trunks, and Coleman cooler.
The plastic chairs came with the tree house.

Lastly, I'm a coleman fan. I've found their old steel coolers to be the best coolers around. They will keep a water bottle frozen for a good 5 days or more = cold beer.

I also love my Coleman single burner dual fuel stove. Not something I would want to pack long distance but it's US made and works well.

I'm not a big fan of lanterns - I want to enjoy the darness not have a street lamp on all night. However, I did break down and buy one. It came in handy during a camping trip when it rained the whole trip.

Tied a large blue tarp to 4 trees using 550 cord, pulled the cooler and our two camp chairs under the tarp. The Coleman lantern provided enough heat to keep us warm against the cold rain also let us watch the frogs playing through the rain. Couple of cold beers and it was a nice memory for a rained out trip.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Don't forget the bug spray! 99% deet.

Mosquito Coils are nice to have. Plus a couple of cans or Raid Yard Guard if you are really gonna go to town. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Might want to find a couple **** pads or foam sleaping mats. The ground is hard.

If it gets cold at night, usually does, just snuggle up with the wife to get warm.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I always put a tarp down under my tent with a few feet out where the tent entry is so that I can keel dirt out of the tent and set things on. I usually pick up a dew 2.5 gallon water jugs for drinking and washing up and one for cleaning. Dont forget the sponge for cleaning. Lanterns are a must for night time enjoyment flashlights dont cut it. They are great for walking and such but lanterns for the campsite. Ice chests are a must. Metal coffee pot the old stainless steel perculator type.

·
Registered
389 Posts
For water just buy the good old tablets and dump in naglene bottles in the morning. They work great and then drop in a crystal light packet and you will feel 1000x better.

Since you can drive up to the campsite go to the store and buy a 2 gallon water cooler for like 10 bucks and a 5 gallon container that is refillable. This way you know you will have water because this time of year it maybe difficult to find if creeks have dried up or definitely not worth the risk if you do not know the area. For hiking you can fill your bladders and stuff from the 2 gallon easily and then fill up the 2 gallon so you know you have water when you get back.

Foodwise just make sure you check the ingredients on those canned goods and definitely invest in an MRE or two. Nothing sucks more than at night you were planning on cooking over a fire and well the torrential downpour makes that impossible. We normally carry a couple ready to eat meals but pack a cooler full of good food and since you can drive up do that. After about 1 day of eating crappy canned food it will take you a good week to poop right.

Plus an MRE after a 8 mile hike is perfect since you normally have no desire to cook a meal but you definitely need to eat.

Don't forget chairs and I second sleeping pads.

Oh yeah and unless you are climbing dump the climbing rope.

What we did our first couple times out was when we got back put everything we did not use in a rubbermaid container. We took that with us a second time out but did not unpack it from the truck. If it lasted two times without being used it was never brought again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There's no toilet paper on the list.

Trash bags are also insanely useful.

Bug spray is nice to have.

Since you're bringing drier lint, bring a ferro rod just for fun. A ferro rod ignites drier lint like crazy.

If you're driving to the campsite, consider throwing a tarp in the trunk. You might find it useful.

Camping chairs? Always good to have around a campfire.

Maybe some soap. I know, I'm listing a lot of unnecessary luxuries, but it's good to consider if you're just camping! :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts