Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new camping lantern, and I don't want to get a Coleman or one made in China. My last plastic battery-powered Coleman lasted only one season.

You can find high-quality LED flashlights, made out of precision machined metal -- you have multiple good brands to pick from. And there are decent headlamps out there also. But if you want a lantern, for use inside a tent or at a picnic table, you're at a loss. For outside-only lanterns, we've used all-metal Coleman's and had better luck. But you need to pack gasoline/fuel, and you won't be carrying these inside the tent.

Is this looking like "emergency" AM/FM radios right now? The only thing you can get is cheaply made in China junk? I'm willing to spend more than $50 on a quality battery-powered LED lantern. What are my choices?

·
in the woods
1,881 Posts
Black Diamond makes some nice lanterns. The Apollo model is what I use in a small tent, works well, adjustable light from bright to low.

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
I like the small LED battery operated lanterns for most camping trips. The LED headlamps are good for task lighting. For times when you really need to see like skinning a deer the old propane and white gas lanterns can't be beat.

In 2013 we went on a winter canoe trip in Feb on the lower Colorado River. It is amazing how little day light there is that time of year. When the nights are 14 hours long, consider some cheap solar lights around camp so no one trips. A fire is the focal point. We tried to get dinner cooked before dark, clean up was with headlamps. a battery LED lantern is about right for ambiance and not stumbling around.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the tips. This would be for car-camping with the family. I have alot of other kinds of lighting solutions I'm happy with (flashlights, headlamps, gas lanterns, tactical LED's, etc.). But the missing piece is a basic lantern you can set up on the picnic table at a car camping site at night, enough light to play card games, drink beer, etc. So it's not about massive lumens or needing to be lightweight.

The ideal lantern for me would need to be bright enough to read a newspaper within about 5-10' radius on all sides, LED, preferably metal and made in the US. That last requirement will be a tough one.

How many lumens are you looking for like a persinal lantern or somthing bigger

·
Registered
41 Posts
I prefer to sidestep having three separate lights for carry flashlight, headlamp, and lantern, so my choice has been several Fenix AA flashlights (LD10 and LD20) that can serve all three functions. The flashlights nicely fit a Fenix headband for hands-free use, as well as wand-style light diffusing tips for lantern use. The lantern tips may not provide light as strong as a dedicated lantern, but they work well enough for my needs.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
Car camping. I run a total propane camp. Regular Coleman 2 burner stove converted to propane. Will run at -20 with no issues. Catalytic infra red heater is very nice in the cold. I use a propane tree on top of a 5 gal barbeque tank that has a double mantel lantern on the top and hoses to the appliances. I also have a double mantel that I run on the one pound cans for mobile light I refill the cans for about 75 cents.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I like the Colemans....the gas ones,duel fuel are even better.
there are lots of used ones on craigslist cheep.
The gas ones not only give you light but take the chill out of a tent.
No battery's to change or recharge.
+1

Colemans sells 2 different product lines.

1. Cheap chinese battery operated junk that won't last more than one outing.

2. Quality made in the USA dual fuel and propane lanterns and stoves that will last 3 to 4 lifetimes.

Love my US made Coleman Dual Fuel Stoves and Lanterns.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts