Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was actually wanting to find some good places to camp and do some survival camping here is the Calhoun county area or surrounding areas in Alabama. Any ideas or anyone that would like to go camping also let me know! i just moved from Georgia so im not really familier with the area!

·
Registered
622 Posts
All kinds of places in the talladega national forest which you're pretty much in. There are two districts as well as the cheaha wilderness area. Im leaving in the morning to go hike around a few days myself. Very easy to get away from folks in that area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what way is the cheaha national forest east or west? are u able to go survival camping in the woods around here. IE can you cut down stuff to make a shelter?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Its talladega national forest...cheaha is a wilderness area inside the NF and a state park also in the NF. And all of it should be west of you no more than a few miles? I live in st. clair co and its between you and me. No public land is gonna allow you to cut live growth for any reason except maybe areas where you can cut fire wood. Its a good law in my opinion. If everyone went in chopping there wouldnt be anything worth going in to see? As far as camping, primitive camping is allowed anywhere in the nf or wilderness area but only designated areas in the state park. Useing dead wood is fine and i do it all the time but chopping down trees for practice or any other reason is outlawed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got ya i mostly use dead wood anyways :D that sounds great i will have to check that place out cause not being from here makes me want to familiarize myself with the surrounding areas like i was in Georgia. i knew ever nook and cranny around the area i lived in. also do you know of any groups of ppl that meet to primitive camp and hike around here? i had a small group of ppl that lived around me in georgia that we used to get together and go camping and hiking? if u dont know one lol maybe we should start one :D caus there are alot of ppl on this board that live around us so maybe it is worth doing...

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have four friends i hike with pretty regular but i dont know of any groups. I usually go by myself but ill ask the others if they want to go....sometimes they do, sometimes they dont/cant. The only reason im not there right now is im waiting on a friend who wants to go. Im leaving at 12 regaurdless...lol. I grew up here so i know the nf pretty good. This trip im going into the cheaha wilderness to camp and fish the small creeks for a few days. Anyone is always welcome to go with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are they premade trails or is it just bush? like will someone that know nothing about the area be able to find a hiking trail?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe next time you decide to go on the trip i might be able to tag along so i can get a little familiar with the surroundings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts