Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been using #18,38 and 39 for some time now.
# 11;
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ail/Rectangular-Bags/prod9999008373/cat100842
I bought one of these bags this spring and field tested it march during our meet up, one of the best night's sleep while camping in a while. quite warm and a nice change from by extra large/long North Face bag. it's living in our trailer now so we don't have hassle with trying to make the bed

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The one about the sand paper and matches does not work. It just sands the head off the matches.
I just take the striker and put it on top. The striker is sandpaper... The colmen water proof matchs come in a wooden box which and be used as tinder if you have to.. Just keep 1 striker for the rest of the matchs.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I just take the striker and put it on top. The striker is sandpaper... The colmen water proof matchs come in a wooden box which and be used as tinder if you have to.. Just keep 1 striker for the rest of the matchs.
The striker is not sand paper. If 1500 grit sands the match head down and does not strike it, then sand paper does not work.

Ceramic tile works well though.

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one about the sand paper and matches does not work. It just sands the head off the matches.
i have had similar experiences with the sandpaper thing, i had always wondered if I had the grit wrong(???).
I have had some luck over the years using strike anywhere matches on rough rocks or zippers.
Anymore i generally carry a few long lighters and for emergency my magnesium striker and "Vaseline candles"
link here;
i shave some magnesium on to the Vaseline/cotton and then can direct the sparks into the cupped aluminum foil which also serves as a windbreak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts