Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one area that one should buy the best! Even if you have a spouse that is not into prepping this is one area that I make up for it for her lack of interest. It's camping NOT prepping....RIGHT.:D: Great camping equipment are great asset's for emergency issues.

I love NEW military surplus, LL Bean (best warrantry and great stuff), REI (extreme hiking), and many other great brands, etc. equipment. Even Costco sometimes has excellent camping stuff. I advoid China stuff. US, Euro., Japan equipment are the best quality.

Warning:eek:
Advoid cheap Wal-Mart China sleeping bags...they do not last! put one in a washing machine....DONE that!

Quality camping gear doesn’t always mean high prices. Websites like this and many others and the internet are best for this of shopping and researching great Camping equipment that doubles as prepping items!

Great Camping bargins: Examples:thumb:
550 Cord
Military 4-pc Sleep System ($150 new on ebay)
The Gortex outer liner (Bivy) does not need a tent
You can NOT find a better $150 sleep system:)
Craftsman Flashlights (on sale)
REI headlights (on sale)
LL Bean gortex hiking boots (best warranty...period)
Cold Steel knives on clearance (yearly sale)
Allmost almost anything gortex (Boots, shoes, gloves, rain jacket are great)
Many others on this site could add more great examples.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
you may want to add cheaper than dirt to your warnning list :thumb:

alot of ppl need to be very careful not to buy backpacks and other items that dont say who made it, because odds are they are made in china :eek:

plz save our country BUY MADE IN AMERICA when you can :thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i dont know about LL Bean warranty 's but i do know rei has a no questions 100% return policy .even after a little over a year, i was still able to return a pack to them for a full refund..

·
Registered
961 Posts
I musta found the diamond in the rough because I have two Wal-Mart sleeping bags that I bought 6-8 years ago, have run through the washing machines several times and they are still just as good as when I bought them.

What did I do wrong?:confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
My wife is going to freak when she see the credit card bill. But its is all for camping this summer! :) (it can be hard to hide some of it)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wild-Will,

I think you got lucky. I had two Wal-mart bags. One was the most expensive one in the store. Both were Chinese and both became landfill within a few years. I learned my lesson here the most. I should have gotten a better bag from another vendor and that would last my lifetime. Many Army surplus bags I have seen 30 years old and still going strong.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I musta found the diamond in the rough because I have two Wal-Mart sleeping bags that I bought 6-8 years ago, have run through the washing machines several times and they are still just as good as when I bought them.

What did I do wrong?:confused:

The Walmart brand (Ozark Trail) sleeping bag are pretty bad, the Coleman brand sleeping bags they sell at Walmart are just "OK", they last much longer than the Ozark Trail but the temp rating is WAY off and they are heavy and not very backpack friendly.

I use a Marmot Sawtooth +15 bag and it rocks. :thumb:

Walmart does have alot of good things for camping for cheap, but just shop smart and know what can be bought there and what can't. Stay away from Walmart tents and sleeping bag, but by all means buy your propane, ammo and some of the Coleman line of basic camping stuff is good to go. They have an excellent backpacking stove called the Coleman MAX micro (peak 1), its $25 and works excellent, I highly recommend it. :thumb:

·
Registered
961 Posts
The first one I bought was Ozark Trail and it is the oldest and best of the two, the second one was Coleman and it's good enough for my uses and, it's only 2 years younger than the Ozark Trail.
Both have served admirably and will last for an untold number of years longer.
I take good care of my bags and other gear and whatever I have lasts for a very long time. An aside, I use a lot of Harbor Freight tools that have outlasted many of the very much more expensive name brand tools that I own.
Things that make you go hmmmmm.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
I agree you can't beat LL Beans warranty. I had a pair of boots that were 4+ years old and the tongue stitching started to fail. I took them in to get them repaired (prepared and expecting to pay for the repair) and they simply said that the stitching should have never failed and replaced them without blinking an eye. I didn't even have the original sales receipt.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Backpacks - its hard to beat military surplus stuff. Whether its a MOLLE pack, or an ALICE pack, anything military is going to be tough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Walmart brand (Ozark Trail) sleeping bag are pretty bad, the Coleman brand sleeping bags they sell at Walmart are just "OK", they last much longer than the Ozark Trail but the temp rating is WAY off and they are heavy and not very backpack friendly.

I use a Marmot Sawtooth +15 bag and it rocks. :thumb:

Walmart does have alot of good things for camping for cheap, but just shop smart and know what can be bought there and what can't. Stay away from Walmart tents and sleeping bag, but by all means buy your propane, ammo and some of the Coleman line of basic camping stuff is good to go. They have an excellent backpacking stove called the Coleman MAX micro (peak 1), its $25 and works excellent, I highly recommend it. :thumb:

ive been looking at the sawtooth... just one question how well does this bag pack down? thanks

·
LOST!!!!
227 Posts
my wife does not like it if i buy stuff for Prepping, but if i buy it for camping it is ok. So i just bought all the kids headlamps at REI last weekend and the wife was ok with that. If i buy a flashlight to have in the drawer for an emergency she thinks it is cludder. Every year I buy about 10 canisters of the small propane bottles for camping and only use half, the rest keep going into a cabinet in the garage. A way to built a small stock pile of fuel. There are other items that I have picked up along the way for "camping" but all of us on this website know what it is really for. When TSHTF, the wife will think i am the greatest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dentist's office had a sign hanging in there that said something along the lines of "dental work, just like brain surgery, is not something you want to save money on." Camping gear is something I don't mind paying more for to ensure quality because your life more or less depends on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ive been looking at the sawtooth... just one question how well does this bag pack down? thanks
Its packs down pretty good but not super great. There is another version of this bag called the Marmot Pinnacle 15, its packs down much better than the Sawtooth but its also more expensive. :xeye:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts