Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of this axe?

Kershaw camp axe

I like that it's made from one piece of steel. I went to Lowes and looked at their axes. All they had were those wood/steel combos (wood handle with a steel head). I don't like those because after awhile the head comes loose.

I demand that ALL of my tools have a long life under abuse. I refuse to trust my life to shoddy construction. Does anyone happen to own one of these axes, or have any suggestions for a different one?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I think that is really a hatchet.It says its 11 inches long.Typically,a camp axe tends to be bigger that a hatchet,yet smaller than a full size farm axe.It looks like it would fit your need for a unit that doesn't need handles replaced.I personally like wood handled axes and such,and I've gotten to be pretty good at replacing them.In this way,I find a deal on a head here,and a handle there,put them together,and get a good serviceable tool.Same with shovels.I find it amazing how people throw away stuff with wood handles,just because they don't know how to fix them.I've also picked up several wheel barrows,with worn out wood,because they didn't figure it worth fixing. I replace the ash hardware with pressure treated pine,and then they never rot out.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Have you looked at Gerber's selection of camp hatchets and axes? They have models ranging from small backpack hatchets with a 3 inch head to full tree felling axes. They are synthetic handled with quality steel heads for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Ditto on the Gerber/Fiskars camp axes. They are the same product. Lowe's sells Fiskars. I just put a new edge on my dull Fiskars Camp Axe. That is some hard steel. The plastic handles make them very light if planning to carry. My Fiskars will be in my BOB. I don't plan on chopping with my knife.

One thing to think about. Quality, SHARP, camp axes and hatchets tear the wood up. Being short, when you swing hard and miss your target, they usually head straight back to you. I like to wear long pants and tall leather work boots. Plan your angle of attack.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I have a Gerber Camp Axe, but would highly recommend a riggers hatchet.

Reactions: joes

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
For the money I would go for a Fiskars axe. I've read many reviews and they're supposed to be great value.
However, I really want to get a Gransfors Bruks axe. They are expensive but the heads are made with very good steel by craftsmen in Sweden. The model I'd like is the Wildlife Hatchet, tiny little thing it is. I'd get a big Fiskars for heavy work.

There are a couple of men on the internet who write very interesting stuff about axes. Google "Axes" and "Old Jimbo" or "British Red".
Erm, I don't know if it's OK to post other website addresses here, so moderators please edit if it's not OK.
"BushcraftUK" has lots of interesting outdoor articles, lots of stuff on axes, both British Red and Old Jimbo post there. Do not expect to find anything referring to weapons, BushcraftUK doesn't allow it.

YB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my first bladed tool was an axe.

A small camp hatchet that my dad got me when I was about 6 I think. It had a blade on 1 side and a hammer head on the opposite side. With a wooden handle.:)

·
Banned
880 Posts
i have a bunch of hatchets and axes from cheap to medium price. im saving for a ferrari camp axe its made from diamonds and gold and is hand forged by swedish virgins, and the head is sharpened with real moon rocks! an axe is a slightly sharpened hunk of metal on a stik, KISS!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I swear buy the gerber axes. They have several sizes to meet your needs. I have the small type and the large one. They are great, lightweight and strong . They also keep a good edge . They are a one peice design and the handle is molded . Not sure if they will get brittle over time especially in cold climates. I went to a molded type to avoid having a loose blade [ very dangerous].

·
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer
255 Posts
Ax

Marooned,

I carry that axe when hunting. Mine is the Winchester axe and saw combo.(Google it) It is made in the same factory and includes a nice saw for half the price of the kershaw alone.

t is great for cutting up big game. Whack it with a baton and it will split joints nicely. It is a little light for lots of wood chopping but plenty great for a lone woodsman on the move. And it chops better than any big knife.

I also have several hatchets and axes and this is very functional and sturdy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I brought along a Fiskars 14" hatchet on my camping trip a few weeks ago. It chopped through frozen wood very well. My camping partner, who had an Estwing hatchet, kept looking over at me as we were batoning our firewood. Finally, he asks "dude, can I try your axe"? Night and day, my friend! I ended up giving him the Fiskars, as I had another one at home. He was happy. :)

·
279 Posts
Today I picked up a Fiskars chopping axe (23" handle, #2 head).
It looks very promising, but I had not have the opportunity to test it for real, yet. (maybe next weekend...)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Estwing

I like Estwing hatchets, and axes, no wood or fiberglass, all steel with rubberized handles, indestructible.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts