Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting old and fat, my old cammies no longer fit. Good news for the local Paintball kids, gave them a lot of old cammies but now I am looking to restock. I am becoming aware of the NIR issue, any suggestions and why or why not?

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
What works best in the area you are headed to? In my area Mossy Oakis pretty good for getting lost.

Gray man for the urban areas, jusr blend in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Find an appropriate camouflage or build a Ghillie suit. A pair of Brown or black coveralls work well, and than cuts strips of burlap about 3 feet long and 2 inches wide. Cover the coveralls with fine netting (badminton nets work well) and secure the net to the coveralls. Paint the burlap strips alternating green and brown (I laid mine down outside and threw cups full of paint at them. Use water balloons and make it fun for the kids!) When it's all painted and dry, tie the strips to the netting.

This works awesome as you can add your own pockets and customize your ammo, water, food and emergency equipment carrying capacities; just make sure that you don't make your pockets and suit unusable by the netting. I have heard of guys sewing those emergency blankets on the inside to diffuse IR. Not sure if it works, but it would make your suit warmer if you're bugging out in an area that has colder seasons. Depending on your location, you may need multiple suits.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I do like multicam as it does a suprisingly great job of blending in with a wide variety of back grounds. In fact I think it is superior to the typical woodland Camo for a general purpose pattern to blend in. I do like using Mossy Oak a lot in my area as there are quiet a few woodlots or low land areas with a lot of willows and cotton woods adjacent to the lake.

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
What works best in the area you are headed to? In my area Mossy Oak is pretty good for getting lost. Gray man for the urban areas, just blend in.
Mossy Oak and Realtree are good for both the woods and urban gray man where I live. :D:

+N

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Lose weight. Not only do you get to keep your wardrobe, but there are other benefits as well. You're smaller so you can hide easier, and you can run away more effectively. ;)

Az

·
Banned
647 Posts
They do make a mesh / screen camo pullover clothing that will give you instant camo if pulled over your regular clothing. Its not the most ideal choice for every day wear of course. The bigger sized camo clothing is available from Ducks Unlimited, Bass Proshops and the like if you look, just narrow your search according to size. Nothing says that you need camo, depending on where you live and what seasons you have, you can buy dark green pants and wear a brown shirt for example. Lastly you can make or obtain a ghillie pull over.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Multicam works great, I absolutely love mine.

I can set up and sit still and have hikers walk within a few feet of me never knowing I was there.

It is one of the best things going, the new ATAC pattern is interesting too, I haven't gotten any of those but I am definitely eyeing them up.

There is a list out there of what detergents have optical brighteners in them, find it and avoid them at all costs on your camouflage items.

·
A bad, bad man
215 Posts
Doc Shane is right about detergents. Google ACU and appropriate detergents and apply it to any camo/clothing you get. I cannot recall what we used, PX cheap stuff, but it was usually powder detergent.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Find an appropriate camouflage or build a Ghillie suit. A pair of Brown or black coveralls work well, and than cuts strips of burlap about 3 feet long and 2 inches wide. Cover the coveralls with fine netting (badminton nets work well) and secure the net to the coveralls. Paint the burlap strips alternating green and brown (I laid mine down outside and threw cups full of paint at them. Use water balloons and make it fun for the kids!) When it's all painted and dry, tie the strips to the netting.

This works awesome as you can add your own pockets and customize your ammo, water, food and emergency equipment carrying capacities; just make sure that you don't make your pockets and suit unusable by the netting. I have heard of guys sewing those emergency blankets on the inside to diffuse IR. Not sure if it works, but it would make your suit warmer if you're bugging out in an area that has colder seasons. Depending on your location, you may need multiple suits.
Forget the ghillie suit, just buy some pants and a shirt in tan, then roll in the dirt.

Unless your creeping at worm level, and replacing your tied in veg every few hours, a ghillie suit is just a big burlup wrapped target.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
For me and the area(s) I will BO to if need be Real Tree/Mossy Oak.Don't just look at what you need for where you are now,look at where you may have to go and what works there.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
If you are part of a group ..... there's something to be said about having unique camo pattern for the group vs Treebark ect ect ....... a uniform if you may

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
Multicam works great, I absolutely love mine.

I can set up and sit still and have hikers walk within a few feet of me never knowing I was there.

It is one of the best things going, the new ATAC pattern is interesting too, I haven't gotten any of those but I am definitely eyeing them up.

There is a list out there of what detergents have optical brighteners in them, find it and avoid them at all costs on your camouflage items.
It's worth double checking the list of detergents. I don't remember which one, but one of them that used to not have the optical brighteners, have added it recently.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for your replies.

Okay, the NIR issue is cheap commercial cammies that can make you more visible as apposed to less visible. NIR = Near Infra Red, immediately lower in frequency than the color red. It turns out that most night vision equipment can see in this band and some things that are camouflaged in the visible spectrum are "White" in NIR and make the wearer stand out very clearly to someone using NVGs. Trees, grass, bushes all are a medium "color" to NVGs, too bright, you stand out, too dark and you stand out too.

The UV issue is exactly the same as the NIR issue but it is mostly game animals that can see a little further up in the Ultra Violet spectra than humans can. The optical brighteners in common laundry detergents can in as little as 2 washings utterly ruin your nice new hunting cammies. They may look fine to the human eye but be "white" to a deer. The answer to the UV problem is a simple treatment called "UV Killer" which dulls down the UV, available at hunting supply stores.

Next is the FIR issue (Far-Infra Red) modern thermal sights see heat, this is far below the NIR spectrum and this problem is totally un-related to NIR, You can be totally cammied up in the visible and NIR spectrum but glow like a pumpkin in thermal sights. Now to be fair thermal sights have limitations for example twice per day they are totally blind when things are warming up in the morning and when cooling down in the evening. Furthermore a cheap umbrella can fool them just as well.

So what to do? Well you can wrap yourself in a cheap aluminium + Mylar space blanket then a camouflage poncho and cover that with camouflage netting to become invisible but then you would cook from your own body heat reflected back on you.

But wait, there are other issues. Not enough issues to worry about? How about this: You are in a nice lush green valley and cammied up in green, then you have to climb up a mountain to escape the evil bad men or your ex-wife or somebody and as you climb up you go through first trees then above that nothing but rocks and above that snow. Now what do you wear that hides you in all situations?

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Multicam, as said before works in more terrain settings than any of the other patterns out there so far.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Uh one problem...

Doc, I too love Multicam but check the label, if it says Polyester/Cotton the material is NOT NIR compliant. If it says 50/50% Nylon/Cotton then it is NIR Compliant. If it says Made in China, it ain't.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts