Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Stand Still you Die!!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many articles and post about people worried about cooking outdoors in a SHTF type situation. The fear of being discovered as cooking the neighborhood grub:) I would like to know if anyone has come up with a solution to this problem ? A small stove that controls smell or smoke. Maybe something internal that could be buried in the back yard. Any thought's, ideas, or inventions.

Like to see what people have come up with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do the same as above with a small backpacking stove, the kind that uses a isobutane/propane canister.
No smoke. The flame, which is small to begin with, is invisible when the cooking apparatus is down in a hole. Cook simple stuff that doesn't smell.

·
You got to love it!
1,037 Posts
My BOB contains ready edibles.... spam, tuna, jerky, crackers, cheese, etc... no cooking for a while...

after that small fires... dry timber and low smoke if need be. Hit and run....

I like this approach. I've got a small butane cooker. It burns really clean and can be used indoors. I also have propane cookers outback or in my garage[with ventilation]

after that is used up I'd go with the dakota fire hole. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have finally finished my Rocket Stove for the exact reason you are posting. I have a Coleman stove and an MSR Whisper lite to cook with until the liquid fuel runs out. After that it will be pieces of 2x4 split thin to create a nearly smokeless heat source in my home made beauty. Where to cook to reduce the smell? The only answer I have come up with on the score of smells is to use the fireplace in the living room. That is something to experiment with this year. Will probably try cooking something like a can of chili and then running outside to see if the smell is easily detectable. In either case I will keep the pot covered as much as possible. Good Luck.

·
One day at a time........
299 Posts
If your cooking on a wood open fire people may just think you fire is for heat and light, sometimes overt is the way to be covert, but generally cooking inside you house on a small backpacking stove will be fine, pack foods that aren't classed as aromatics

·
Survivor
281 Posts
You could use MRE heaters. No smoke or flame. I'm not sure about the food smell but if the winds are light and variable, it's going to be really difficult for anyone to follow it back to you.

·
Warlord of the wastes
707 Posts
If people are starving they will smell the food cooking from miles away. That would be a bigger problem than smoke or flame in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Jetboil because it comes to a boil so quickly, conserving gas .. EASY to use .. lightweight for backpacking.

About ..

Field Demonstration .. The flame is not that noticeable.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,948 Posts
I use my little 2 burner coleman camp stove.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I tried a variety of cooking methods back in Florida both indoors and outdoors.

My dutch ovens, for all the discussions on boards like this, were the worst offenders. I tried pit cooking as well, but the picture with the double hole method I had not tried and looks interesting.

The best method I found was to use my Coleman campstove indoors and try to stick to low-odor foods. I also boiled over baked whenever possible, and tried to keep my cooking times as short as possible.

Another thing I did was often burn garbage/yard trash while I was cooking if I thought the food smells would carry.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Wanderer had a great idea with the method of cooking. If one has foods such as Mountain House etc, water could be heated giving off no odor of food, then taken inside to be mixed with the food. Even outside just mixing with such foods would give a minimal scent. Possible even something like instant oats, grits, etc.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Swedish military 70's surplus mess kit with triangia burner for me. Preferred fuel is HEET in the yellow Bootle's. When that runs out it will be wood inside the wind screen, I don't think that small of a fire is that noticeable if done smart. Best to cook in the morning at first light, and before darkness falls.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts