Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to wonder if runing an all black assualt rifle is a bad idea after learning some stuff about cammo. Does running a few coyote tan items such as sling, stock, rail covers and mag make an ar 15 less visible when in a still cammo fighting postition? Not sure if you would have to cammo the entire rifle to have an advantage..

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Black dose not exist in nature, black sticks out worse then white.

I spray paint my rifles, works fine and its cheap.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I second this. While I have not painted mine yet, the paint is in the shop and Ill spray it if and when the time calls for it. The beauty of this is customizing it to the enviornment.

Reactions: fragout and Diddy

·
11B3P
754 Posts
Changing stocks is a good start. I would recommend painting over any extra stuff hanging off your weapon. Burlap and camo tends to get into the vicinity of moving parts. We used to do it in the military quite a bit but that was before painting your stock became commonplace.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I was at a sniper shoot and got picked out because I had neglected to camo the inside of my black lens cover...the black, round, circle was noticeable and noticed not because black doesn't appear in nature, as it does--look at a birch forest, frozen foliage etc. but because it was round and black amongst the long grass.

If you camo, then camo everything--slings at least get in a neutral colour to blend in if you can't get a camo one B U T camo has to be site specific..no good having desert camo in a snow field or woodland camo in a desert.

Night camo is better in dark grey then black.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Just changing your accesories/stock/slings etc isn't really gonna be effective camo wise. As said earlier pure black just ain't in nature, but straight lines arent either. Put them together and forget about it. Seek is right, camo is effective only when everything is done.

·
Tennessee Ranger
724 Posts
A little bit of paint does wonders when you need the weapon to blend in. I have swapped out all of the plastic parts (buttstock, grip, rail covers, and combat grip) on my AR for olive drab, so that helps it some. I don't plan on painting anything on it yet until I can afford Duracoat. If you don't want to paint it, you can always tie burlap on all of the parts that won't get hot when fired rapidly. Paint AND burlap is the best combo that I have used in the past and when I was in the Army.

·
Transplant
355 Posts
I second this. While I have not painted mine yet, the paint is in the shop and Ill spray it if and when the time calls for it. The beauty of this is customizing it to the enviornment.
This is the theory I subscribe to.

For instance:
30 minutes with Krylon, 3 colors, and some foliage.

And, even with different colored furniture, the black still stands out:

·
11B3P
754 Posts
I was at a sniper shoot and got picked out because I had neglected to camo the inside of my black lens cover...the black, round, circle was noticeable and noticed not because black doesn't appear in nature, as it does--look at a birch forest, frozen foliage etc. but because it was round and black amongst the long grass.

If you camo, then camo everything--slings at least get in a neutral colour to blend in if you can't get a camo one B U T camo has to be site specific..no good having desert camo in a snow field or woodland camo in a desert.

Night camo is better in dark grey then black.
I never thought about my scope until I got picked out in training for this same thing. Then next stalk I did my watch got spotted. I have my gloves on but they were rolled up at the wrist and the spotter got a peek of my watch....black watch of course.
I learned to stash my watch and use the almighty sniper veil. As a trick you can fire your shot then flip the veil all the way down over your front scope lens, just make sure you limit your movement to a finger.

Black is bad for sniper gear, ok for police work and general use but don't expect to disappear with it.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I agree.
Examples.....

Real Tree Break up and OD green

The "metal" sticks out like a sore thumb.

A few of my spray paint specials....

Note that the park job on one of them is a lighter gray in color than the other as it compares with the gloss black scope mounted on it at time of the pic......

.....not to memtion the brown hg.

I'm always painting up a stock to match the current terrain, but dont plan on hittin up the metal unless it's a "must".

I have also used camo face paint on rifles in the past while at work. Mixed results, but worked in a pinch as it was what I had at the time.

I've seen some Duracoat finishes that while were of a camo pattern, were of gloss finish, and looked as if they would be a beacon in the bush ifn;s the light hit on um just right.

11B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.