Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Camel Outdoor Products? They're out of Knoxville, TN (or at least they were). A friend gave me an old tent of his that they made and it looks pretty nice. I've looked and Googled everywhere for Camel Tents and I can't seem to find anything about them. Any help? Thanks.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I have a 1980's Alamo Model Camel tent.
It is an 8'x10' A frame. I'm 6'1" and can stand in it.
Made of canvas duc material with screened windows and entrance. heavy duty zippers. Heavy duty floor.
Great tent for out of the truck camping,....but I wouldn't want to have to pack it far.:thumb:
Spray it every once in a while with Camp Dri and it's totally waterproof.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My instructions say it's a "Sunset Cabin Tent - Model No. 350". Does this company not exist anymore? Why can't I find any more info on them?

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think so!! I've only set it up once - and I didn't do a very good job of it - but that looks like what it should have ended up as. Thanks. So I guess they still make them under a different name or something? I see they're in Pakistan...somewhat fitting that they were possibly "Camel" tents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Memphis had a Camel store 25-30 years ago and we bought a couple of their tents. My fading impression of Camel gear is that it was similar in quality to Coleman. The tents were heavy, yet durable.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Memphis had a Camel store 25-30 years ago and we bought a couple of their tents. My fading impression of Camel gear is that it was similar in quality to Coleman. The tents were heavy, yet durable.
Yeah, this one is canvased and looks to be fairly rugged. The carry case that it comes in is about 4.5 ft. long. I need to just get out and use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately, Camel tents out of Knoxville, TN went out of business in 1993. They were bought out by d i c k's Sporting Goods, but unfortunately they have no information about Camel tents any longer.
I have a Camel tent that is in pristine condition but NO poles. I have been searching for over a month now with no luck. I hope you have some luck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unfortunately, Camel tents out of Knoxville, TN went out of business in 1993. They were bought out by d i c k's Sporting Goods, but unfortunately they have no information about Camel tents any longer.
I have a Camel tent that is in pristine condition but NO poles. I have been searching for over a month now with no luck. I hope you have some luck.
Just checking: Ebay, LL Bean, Cabelas, D***'s, Sports Authority, Bass Pro, even justy Google "tent poles".
Check other tent companies for a similar shape/size tent.
Check with a local awning shop/aluminum shop.
Other places to check- KOA Campgrounds, local BoyScout Troop, tent repair shops, "old fashioned" hardware stores, resale shops, Craigslist.

Best of luck on your mission, Jeff.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
they were a good name brand when i was growing up quite a number of years ago. if well cared for, it should go the distance for you. keeping it clean and making sure it is completely dry before packing it up is essential.

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
I had good luck taking 1/2" inch pvc with caps and 45 degree angles connectors to create a frame for a tent i picked up for free awhile back, i color coded the pieces to match them up during take down set up, hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just checking: Ebay, LL Bean, Cabelas, D***'s, Sports Authority, Bass Pro, even justy Google "tent poles".
Check other tent companies for a similar shape/size tent.
Check with a local awning shop/aluminum shop.
Other places to check- KOA Campgrounds, local BoyScout Troop, tent repair shops, "old fashioned" hardware stores, resale shops, Craigslist.

Best of luck on your mission, Jeff.:thumb:
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I tried all and spoke with many people around the US with no avail. My husband and I just recently bought a Coleman 6-person Instant Tent with rainfly, and decided to make other items with Camel tent. Some items he was able to make was a tarp, bags, hammock, and storage slings for the new tent.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Still have a good-sized Camel cabin tent acquired in about '83.

Used to use it hard before we got into trailers, haven't set it up in years but it's great quality & held up to rain quite well.

Wife wants to sell it, but I keep it "just in case". :)
Denis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts