Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion, and I am in no way trying to fear monger. There is enough crap out there to worry about without any help from me.

I feel that we are in a calm before the storm. Not necessarily a SHTF storm, but a panic storm.

From right now until the first of 2012:

8-19-2011 (today): Kids are starting back to school in the next few days, parents are having to buy back to school supplies, clothes, meet the teachers and get their kids shots caught up. Right "now" parents have a lot to think about and worry about besides prepping.

Labor day: is right around the corner.

Halloween in October.

Hunting season starts in October in some places, and then in November.

November - thanksgiving

December - Christmas and then New Years.

People have stuff to keep their minds occupied until the first part of 2012. After the turn of the year, I look for the attention of the people to turn towards world events and the direction this nation is heading.

After new years I think is when the panic buying mode is going to kick in - and especially after people start getting their income taxes back.

As 2012 progresses, and the election season turns hostile, there are going to be a lot of propaganda on TV and the internet about the various people running for office. I look for this propaganda to have a side effect on the voters, and that is spreading fear through the general public.

I look for the debt talks to resume again, and I look for tension between the USA and the rest of the world (especially China) to increase.

My personal plans, and I am not suggesting that people do this, but buy whatever long term food supplies you can afford. If you have been thinking about buying #10 cans of freeze dried foods, please do so.

As the November 2012 elections get closer:

I look for worries to increase. Regardless of who gets election, there is going to be some kind of crap storm around it.

Over the past few months I have been stockpiling fishing supplies like crazy. Everytime my wife and I went to the local sporting goods store I would grab some hooks, trotline string, artificial worms, extra monofilament line, new fishing pole and reel,,,,,.

On top of the fishing supplies I have been stocking up on food in mylar bags, canned goods and #10 cans.

Do I expect some kind of civil unrest, no,, or rather I hope not. With the extreme drought in Texas, crops are dying in the fields, and people are having to sell off their livestock, what kind of impact on food prices can we expect due to the failed crops, I do not know.

I want to be as honest as possible, and say right up front, I do not know what the future holds. I suspect food prices will go up, but only time will tell.

Over the next few months my preps will focus on food - and that means everything from mylar bags, to canned goods, to #10 cans of freeze dried foods.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Great post Kevin, and good points made.
Couple of typos (2011 rather than 2012) that may confuse people though.

Reactions: Mountain

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Kev instead of buying all your fishing supplies from you local store slowly get them in bulk also. Get them from like Netcraft or or even Bass pro shops and you can get your supplies allot cheaper then buying small quantities . Its just like food anytime you can buy bulk you will save money. Also don't know how the rivers are around you or how close but we invested into some really big fishing nets because we have a river that has 4 major Salmon runs every year. In one day we could net 1000s of Salmon. And its a major source but I would not want to spend 2 weeks during the run catching them when I need to spend all the time processing them instead.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Kev, I am so with you on this. There is something in the air. The debt the US has is starting to alarm laypeople and experts alike. I preach against fear mongering but at the same time when something is glaringly obvious, its hard not to speak.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
there are so many ways that bad things can happen in the next two years.

unemployment, collapsed economy, financial instability, hyper-inflation- which will lead to civil unrest and creating much tinder for world war for resource dominance.

then there's pronounced storms like the one recently at the state fair (ohio?) and in belgium. here is phoenix, arizona, last evening, we had the third large dust storms within the last six weeks. the sun is active, and it appears to have a massive sunspot heading toward earth side within 2-ish weeks.

prepare as much as you can.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I too feel like food will be on the rise once again.. And there's really no reason not to stock up anymore. Heck, most dollar stores have a pretty good selection these days. The Dollar Tree near my place even has name brand stuff, like Campbells, Bushes, Dole, etc.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,812 Posts
Things are looking grim. Our Leaders are busy being clueless. The $60 trillion in overhang from the Credit Default Swap trading has not been addressed.

Global bankruptcy is really the only solution. Chapter 11 and start over.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

something I forgot to mention - save as much money as possible.

I do not look for the "real" panic buying to kick in until after people start getting their income taxes back in 2012. Over the next few months people are going to be forking out money on school supplies, clothes, holidays, christmas, labor day, new years,,,,,,,. This does not leave a lot of spare money for buying survival gear.

When people start getting their income tax returns back, and have some extra money, that is when people might start buying in bulk.

·
Registered
34,023 Posts
In the next 24-36 Months things will become critical!

We can all point to potential problems, many have been brewing for years and are rapidy reaching the boiling points.

-Debt Crisis
-State Bankruptcy
-The world-wide financial crisis
-Massive cuts in social programs and social unrest
-Food prices and shortages
-Further credit down grading
-Terrorism

We can go on and on..... we must be prepared. The odds of nothing happening are very slim.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Myself and many others on this forum have said many times that we have this feeling that something is brewing. We watch and listen and keep tabs on issues that could smack us all down. The two largest possible events that I often wonder about are:
1) The sun tossing out a flare as large or even larger than the solor flare of 1859
2) The 100 year Texas flood.

Both have happened before, there was no stopping them and they are one-hundred percent true.

Yes, I feel that something is going to hit us and hit us hard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here a few thoughts from a merchant perspective:

1 - demand for our food and emergency supplies waxes and wanes. If there's bad news? Sales are up. If the stock market stabilizes? Sales level off. It's a fairly predictable cycle, except for actual volume levels, which have been volatile. In other words, when demand goes up, it goes up quickly and in high numbers. So, if you're planning on buying at anytime, try to buy when demand is lower. The canned meat and #10 can packagers do not have a lot of flexibility to increase output when demand skyrockets so inventory dries up quickly.
2 - Food prices from packagers and wholesalers march up nearly every time we order (every 1-2 months). Food will never get any cheaper than what it is today.
3 - And, well, food tastes better than gold...just sayin'

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"November - thanksgiving and the presidential election. Regardless of who is elected, I look for their to be a crap storm around it."

I didn't know we had a Presidential election this year.
You are correct, it was a typo, and has been corrected.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
Kev, I'll still be in college when all of this happens. That means I will be away from home, unarmed.

I'm going to look into either keeping my gear at a third location, or finding out the laws on having a fire arm in the truck of my car.

·
Indefatigable
22,846 Posts
I have been around enough to know that election years usually see an increase in new preppers. Many people have the feeling if the election dosen't go exactly the way they think it should its SHTF. Everyone who vowed to move out of the US if Obama was elected (the first time) should have kept their word.

·
Geezer In Training
1,939 Posts
Yes, been feeling the same way about the storm brewing for a while... For the last year and a half my wife and I have been adding to the food preps a little at a time, both long term (wheat, rice, oats, beans, corn) and shorter to mid term (canned goods, boxed pasta dinners, flour, corn meal, etc)...

Have been broaching the subject with both my son and my father... Both are now on-board and agree, something is coming down, not sure exactly when or how bad, but more preparation is needed... They both went to the store and got busy putting some things back...

Son and I are going to the feed store and picking up some bulk dent corn Saturday, and some bulk winter hard red wheat is supposed to be in the following Saturday... The 3 of us will be filling mylar bags this weekend...

My son went in and cleaned out all the dried beans on the shelf at the Dollar General store... the cashier said "Wow! Somebody's having beans tonight!"... My son just replied, "Yeah, I really like beans"... lol

Karl

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kev, I feel the same as you about the way things are looking in the world.

This nagging feeling of...gotta get ready....get your house in order....pay down your debt...add more freeze dried food to the pile...buy some more silver....need more ammo...do I have enough toilet paper?...what about my electronics?...how many batteries are in stock...and the list goes on.

Over the last 2 weeks with the stock market bouncing up and down like a dead cat, and gold rising to over $1800.00 I feel much less secure. My 401K lost another 20% and my home value is dropping like a stone. What's next?

Something is going to give.

At some point this unsustainable fiat economy is going to fall apart and those paper notes will be worth less than the material used to make them.

Maybe then we can start rebuilding this country.

Sledster

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.