Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to boost moral after a disaster? Security, something to do, and a good hot meal.

After hurricane Ike and Rita, the police were not able to resound to 911 calls. The roads were blocked with debris and fallen trees. Some roads were impassable for close to a week after Hurricane Rita. Some of the debris was so bad, bulldozers had to be brought out and the debris pushed to the side of the road.

The county sheriff got on the local radio station and said "people, you are on your own, if you call 911, we will not be able to respond."

Even without law enforcement, there was still a sense of calm. I fired up my big pit and cooked everyday, and with my AR-15 close at hand. There are very few things that will boost moral like a good hot meal, and I do not mean a meal of beans and rice.

After the power goes out, that is the time to cook all of the meat you have in the freezer. With my big pit, I can cook for 2 - 3 dozen people at one time. even the smell of cooking food can have a calming effect on people.

In the evenings we set a lantern on a coffee table and played games like rummy-cube for hours after the sun went down.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you have a bunch of people to cook for, there is no need in having a large pit on a trailer like what I have, a simple coleman propane grill will do.

My wife and I keep a large plastic tote box filled with camping supplies. Instead of packing liquid fuel that can spill, we decided to get a propane stove to keep in the camping tote.

21,493 Posts
Unless you have a bunch of people to cook for, there is no need in having a large pit on a trailer like what I have, a simple coleman propane grill will do.

My wife and I keep a large plastic tote box filled with camping supplies. Instead of packing liquid fuel that can spill, we decided to get a propane stove to keep in the camping tote.

Coleman PerfectFlow Insta Start Grill Stove review - YouTube
After the last power out we had I think just about every single person ownes something like that.
Funny enough The first time we had a cylcone. I flew into the area late and the only thing left I could buy to cook in was a basicly a bucket and fire wood.

There was plenty of firewood though.

·
Registered
Which bag? No way I'm carrying all this stuff, that's why I turned my F150 into a bugout truck.
5,455 Posts
Kev, you are so right. I went through the Rice Canyon Fire of SoCal in 2007. Those of us in the valley who didn't get burned out needed to clear out our freezer's, so meat was in surplus for the first two days. It became like my days on the farm, everyone capable was fighting reflash fires, setting up gates on the road for security, and helping others salvage what they could. Those not capable of working those jobs converged on the centrally located house and set up kitchen, refreshments and social activities. Even over the smell of fire it's like you could smell the food cooking up at my place 300 yards away. Even with the events of that monday the next week brought us together like never before, I actually consider those 2 weeks the most eye opening, educational, and rewarding time in my 14 years in southern California.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.