Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my name is Austin, I am 14 and plan to join the Marine Corps when I am older. I am looking for an active duty Marine or anyone who might have useful information on what I'm asking. Here is what I would like to know: What does it take to join the Marines? What is Basic Training like? When you graduate training as a Marine, what is life like, on and off the field? What kind of fears do you have to overcome? Also, how can I prepare for a life in the Marines?

To whomever answers, thanks,
Austin

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
They'll be a variety of answers depending on the MOS, duty station, etc. for your after boot camp questions.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hello,
my name is Austin, I am 14 and plan to join the Marine Corps when I am older. I am looking for an active duty Marine or anyone who might have useful information on what I'm asking. Here is what I would like to know: What does it take to join the Marines? What is Basic Training like? When you graduate training as a Marine, what is life like, on and off the field? What kind of fears do you have to overcome? Also, how can I prepare for a life in the Marines?

To whomever answers, thanks,
Austin

"what does it take to join the Marines", #1 The DESIRE to become a Marine, and, being able to pass a basic physical/mental evaluation, that's just to get into boot camp. Basic training will be like nothing you have ever done in your life. It also is what you make it.Life on and off the field, no 2 days are the same, every day could be and probably will be different, a real challenge. The fears that you will have to over come will totally depend on you, some fears you will over come. others, you might not. You will learn how to improvise, adapt and, over come. Its not all ''glory'' it can be tough, very, tough, tougher than you can imagine, depending on the situation. IF you make it, you'll learn how to dig deeper in yourself, than you ever thought possible, and push yourself more than you ever have. And, even have some left to go just that little bit farther.

To prepare for life in the Marines, make the best out of every situation, set high standards for yourself, but, remember its a team effort. And, this is just scratches the surface, i wish you all the best.

·
Just reboot 3 times...
1,962 Posts
Things to learn:
1. Be happy not being happy.
2. Make do with less than you need to get the job done.
3. Be prepared to not do what you were trained to do.
4. Learn the art of the cuss, and learn it well.
5. Get in shape now. Stay in shape until you join. Don't just prepare for the entrance test. Go as hard as you can. Promotions are partially based on PFT scores.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
A lot has already been covered, however, I am a Sergeant getting out in a year and here is my advice.

1. Get in shape and stay in shape. In the infantry it is Sergeants and Corporals that will own your soul. If you can hang in PT then you will get a small bit of respect. We are tough on you but most of us actually care. I don't like sending Marines home in body bags. "The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war"

2. Be prepared to learn a lot and be the resident duty expert with your assigned
weapons system.

3. Fully devote your life and CONFORM. Do not come in with an attitude. The Marine Corps has changed a lot recently and we can no longer lay hands on you, however, there are another million ways to make your life miserable. Even if you only stay in 4 years they will be a much less painful 4 years if you accept the fact up front that it will suck and you adjust your attitude accordingly.

4. Be willing to learn.... I cannot stress this enough. Knowledge and the skills that come with years of practice will make you efficient in combat.

5. Don't think that when you join you will go "Recon", MARSOC, or anything else. If you have what it takes... and they want you.. then they will take you. Do not hang all your hopes and dreams on this one job though outherwise you will be a ****ed off useless terminal lance or worse at the end of your 4 years.

6. It will suck, however, you will get paid to shoot, potentially go kill things, and other things that I'm sure sound glamorous to you.... keep in mind that the majority of your time will be spent in roach infested barracks where the hot water and AC never work at the same time and you will either be cleaning your room, learning knowledge so you can spit it out verbatim as it was written in the book, or doing Gunny or SSgt's working parties. Suck it up.. working parties and other menial labor are actually written into your contract that you sign at MEPS.. and all your leaders have spent their time swabbing the decks..

7. Don't be weak

8. Don't be weak

9. Dont be weak

10. Actually enjoy where you are stationed find things to do on the weekend other than sitting in your barracks getting wasted and playing video games.

11. Improve yourself and learn at least one thing new EVERY DAY

12. Don't try to duck out of your contract. Be a Man.. You sign it.. That is your word.. Make sure that it is good.

14. Do NOT get married in your first 4 years no matter HOW much you think you love that stripper that you met at Tobie's last night.. Its never a good idea and she is probably already married to another Marine who is deployed, or is a SgtMaj's daughter.. Neither are good options.. with short life expectancies

*** I Purposefully skipped the # 13

·
Just reboot 3 times...
1,962 Posts
Number 14 above. Trust me... don't do it. Even high school sweetheart from home can wait. The first 4 are the most critical and you do not want to deny a spouse of the time that newlyweds need. The Corps requires 110%. What's left for your wife? Sure there are exceptions... but check the stats for divorce for first term enlisted.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
When you're in shock, wondering if you've made the biggest mistake in your life as you stand on yellow footprints, painted on the deck, just remember two things:

1. You choose that. Understanding that simple fact means if you man up, you can take what's coming.

2. A lot of fantastic people stood on the foot prints as you are doing, and they probably weren't as prepared as you can be. You can make it!

One fascinating thing I've learned over the years:

No matter who it is, whether it's a retired Gunnery Sergeant, a one hit and ditch before moving on in life guy, an embittered, even dishonorably discharged men who served in the Corps will have a bit of pride when it comes up that they earned the title United States Marine.

Semper Fi!

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
A lot has already been covered, however, I am a Sergeant getting out in a year and here is my advice.

1. Get in shape and stay in shape. In the infantry it is Sergeants and Corporals that will own your soul. If you can hang in PT then you will get a small bit of respect. We are tough on you but most of us actually care. I don't like sending Marines home in body bags. "The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war"

2. Be prepared to learn a lot and be the resident duty expert with your assigned
weapons system.

3. Fully devote your life and CONFORM. Do not come in with an attitude. The Marine Corps has changed a lot recently and we can no longer lay hands on you, however, there are another million ways to make your life miserable. Even if you only stay in 4 years they will be a much less painful 4 years if you accept the fact up front that it will suck and you adjust your attitude accordingly.

4. Be willing to learn.... I cannot stress this enough. Knowledge and the skills that come with years of practice will make you efficient in combat.

5. Don't think that when you join you will go "Recon", MARSOC, or anything else. If you have what it takes... and they want you.. then they will take you. Do not hang all your hopes and dreams on this one job though outherwise you will be a ****ed off useless terminal lance or worse at the end of your 4 years.

6. It will suck, however, you will get paid to shoot, potentially go kill things, and other things that I'm sure sound glamorous to you.... keep in mind that the majority of your time will be spent in roach infested barracks where the hot water and AC never work at the same time and you will either be cleaning your room, learning knowledge so you can spit it out verbatim as it was written in the book, or doing Gunny or SSgt's working parties. Suck it up.. working parties and other menial labor are actually written into your contract that you sign at MEPS.. and all your leaders have spent their time swabbing the decks..

7. Don't be weak

8. Don't be weak

9. Dont be weak

10. Actually enjoy where you are stationed find things to do on the weekend other than sitting in your barracks getting wasted and playing video games.

11. Improve yourself and learn at least one thing new EVERY DAY

12. Don't try to duck out of your contract. Be a Man.. You sign it.. That is your word.. Make sure that it is good.

14. Do NOT get married in your first 4 years no matter HOW much you think you love that stripper that you met at Tobie's last night.. Its never a good idea and she is probably already married to another Marine who is deployed, or is a SgtMaj's daughter.. Neither are good options.. with short life expectancies

*** I Purposefully skipped the # 13

Spent some time in Cherry Point did you?

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Everything that was said.

Trust me, if you make it through boot camp, you will hate the Corps. But you will also love it and maybe even revel in it. It's a real interesting life full of contradictions.

Me?

I had a rough time in the Corps and didn't like it.

It was the best four years of my life in many ways.

See what I mean? :D:

Reactions: Resto

·
Registered
53 Posts
Austin, if you have a fear of heights or a fear of the water, get over them now. I saw recruits "freeze" on the confidence course at MCRD. We are Marines, so, by definition, we must be able to swim well.

The Corps puts a tremendous emphasis on marksmanship and physical fitness. If you are mediocre at either of these, you will not fit in, nor will you make rank very fast. Good luck from an old time Jarhead! And remember, when they pin that Eagle, Globe and Anchor on you, at the end of boot camp, you will become a United States Marine for the rest of your life. You join a brotherhood for life... Tt.

Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
Spent some time in Cherry Point did you?
Nope not a lot.. Just some quality time at Camp Geiger for SOI lol but a fair amount of time in Hawaii, Pendleton, Norfolk, Quantico and about a half dozen other bases and they are all the same Hahaha..

Oh and I forgot one other thing.. Stay away from any woman at the e club no matter how hot,slutty, or anything else she might be.. She is probably my ex... And TRUST ME you want NOTHING to do with that... :xeye:

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
Nope not a lot.. Just some quality time at Camp Geiger for SOI lol but a fair amount of time in Hawaii, Pendleton, Norfolk, Quantico and about a half dozen other bases and they are all the same Hahaha..

Oh and I forgot one other thing.. Stay away from any woman at the e club no matter how hot,slutty, or anything else she might be.. She is probably my ex... And TRUST ME you want NOTHING to do with that... :xeye:
I only ask because you mention Tobies. Didnt go there much myself but I know some guys liked it.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
Actually I know the names of all the strip clubs there but never went to any.. I refuse to pay to look at something that I can actually ENJOY for free.. Just takes a bit of game lol

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I am completely neutral in the following:

You want to go to San Diego MCRD, not Parris Island. Even if you live on the East Coast, get a bus ticket, and sign up with a recruiter on the West Coast...and make sure it's in your contract. Parris Island is where they train BAM's, or women Marines...and they've been toning down the Corps' basic more and more as they integrate women with men in training. San Diego was created during World War II...because they needed a training depot that was purely for warrior males.

It took Parris Island Marines 6 months to take Guadalcanal...after San Diego Marines got into it, it took an average of 6 days to take an island from the Japanese, 6 days. The Japanese complained about combat specifically with San Diego sourced Marines and the Chinese during the Korean War filed complaints in the United Nations regarding the use of San Diego Marines. When asked if there was anything further he wished he'd done in his glorious career, Chesty Puller himself said he wish that San Diego MCRD existed when he was a young man, because if he'd gone there, he'd be that much better! There are rumors that military historians agree that if Dan Daily and Smedly Butler went to MCRD San Diego, they would have gotten three or four MoH's instead of the two each they earned...I heard all this while drinking with some Marine NCO's who went thru basic in San Diego, they were drinking and festive that Marine Corps Birthday Ball, no reason to slant things, so you know they're unbiased.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts